Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Moon Saddles

Started by Soonercolt · · Last activity · 67 posts · 17,241 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 August 2012
Last activity
7 September 2012
Original author
Soonercolt
Posts
67
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
17,241
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 67
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. alienator said:

    You won't know because you already drank the Moon Saddle koolaid. Go ahead and ignore the successful, pain-free use of traditional saddles for decades by hundreds of thousands of cyclists.

    Why all the hating on them? Are you a traditional saddle salesman? So far I love my new Moon Saddle. No pain what so ever. I didn't see anything yet that would hinder performance either. Just don't get all of the hate of a product that works so good?

  2. Are you a traditional saddle salesman?

    Some guys ride with a sheepskin saddle pad. Some fudds ride on those pivoting divot pad things. Other dudes are perfectly comfy on a Brooks Swallow. Some guys need a drop-nose, split hole Strike. The next has to have an SMP. Hilo RXL Speed Dial for the next ass in the line.

    Alienator ain't happy unless he's got a [censored] jammed up his ass. Even then he'll [censored] that you don't have sufficient data to prove he's happy despite the [censored]-eating grin he's wearing.

    The very fact that saddle now have holes large and small, splits from front to rear, divots and and all manner of weirdly dropping noses, wider noses, more padded noses, longer noses and NO noses prooves that a 'traditional' saddle has been a pain in the ass for many riders since the very invention of the damned device.

    You think they don't cause problems for the pros? Google up Oscar Freire's saddle sores. Or your own.

    Yeah, racing saddles are efficient. A La-Z-Boy or BarcaLounger they ain't.

  3. It hurt my hammies because that's what was in contact with the d@~ned thing--there is no way to really "sit" on it. I also didn't feel like I could use that point of contact with the bike to help control the bike at all--I use the nose of my saddle quite a bit for that very purpose. Yeah, I had pain when I first got back on the bike. Now, even after 3+ months off in the winter, I don't get pain in the southern bits when I get back on because they've toughened up enough.

    Good luck with that saddle. Let us know how much you hate that it digs into the back of your legs.

  4. Soonercolt said:

    Why all the hating on them? Are you a traditional saddle salesman? So far I love my new Moon Saddle. No pain what so ever. I didn't see anything yet that would hinder performance either. Just don't get all of the hate of a product that works so good?

    Nope. I'm just not a fan of people cumming all over themselves about a product they've used......well.....once or so......

  5. Moon over Parma tonight!

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

  6. This poor lass is in such discomfort from her conventional saddle that she can't even sit down!

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    She does have a nice moon though.

  7. Despite the fact that tens of millions of billions of cyclists have ridden pain-free on conventional diamond frame bikes, there's still a decent market out there for moon...er...recumbent bikes...go figure. I must be a shill for them.

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]
    Nice moon Barcalounger seat too!

  8. Da sparkly babnana seat! There was no [censored] about this beauty when you were 10 years old!

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    Just when you thought your eggz was aching, you had to hit the brakes and pranged the crown jewels on the 5-speed Stik Shift lever!

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Soonercolt [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    I just don't see how any saddle with a nose no matter how small or soft it is would not cause friction in the groin area and pressure on the perenium. The noseless saddles would completely do away with that problem. IMO


    Just to post an image of what this whole topic is about: [IMG]cyclingforums.com400[/IMG]

    I use a cut-out saddle myself. Although I am fully aware that the idea for cut-outs was based on a misunderstanding.... and one report written by one urologist. I don't recommend cut-out saddles... but I wouldn't be without mine.

    I will be waiting to read your reviews and updates to the Moon Saddle. Nothing IMHO is more controversial about cycling... than saddles. The basic design goes all the way back to the very first of the wood and iron bicycles.

    Where it is true that most of us do suffer for a time as we toughen up our sit-bones. My saddle is as comfortable today.... as my recliner. Even if the Moon Saddle only provides relief during the uncomfortable “break-in period” that new cyclist have.... it would be well worth the cost.

  10. [IMG]sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net304527 516966151650045 169059475 n.jpg[/IMG]I rode 16 miles today on my new seat after I recieved it in the mail. I am very happy to say that the ride was pain free. I am totally satisfied with the purchase so far. I do need to lower it a smidge but even without that, it was great! I am sure traditionalists won't believe me but, I could care less. lol! My butt don't hurt or any other crotch area. That makes it well worth the $95 I paid for it. I also didn't feel any control differences. Of course I wasn't going down any mountain side roads and tight turns but my rides in the countryside where I live are very hilly. So far I am very impressed!

  11. Whatever floats your boat. I ride a Brooks Swallow and despite what your may read in a bazillion posts about Brooks, it took hardly any time to get used to it. It has morphed into my form and I don't even think about it anymore. Great investment and unless it falls apart I can see having this saddle for a loooong time. But I think new riders need to spend some time in the saddle. No matter what you're sitting on, it takes some getting used to sit on the saddle for 30-40-60-100 miles.

  12. Why should they have to get used to it if there are alternatives that take no getting used to?

  13. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Soonercolt [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Why should they have to get used to it if there are alternatives that take no getting used to?

    Why bother learning how to swim if it just means getting used to the water?

    The Moon reminds me of another saddle "solution" that appeared in the early 1970s, consisting of a racing bend handlebar somehow attached upside-down to a seat post, with a hammock-like affair slung between the drops. I believe it was marketed as a kit--handlebar not included.

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    The problems with saddles of this type are: sitting on the muscles you need to power the bike, little means of balance and control of the bike through the hips; and no means of supporting the front of the pelvis when riding in an even moderately assertive position. That means that the torso must be either held in a nearly vertical position or supported by the arms and shoulders. I might be able to make this work for 16 miles, but not 100.

  14. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Soonercolt [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
    I rode 16 miles today on my new seat after I recieved it in the mail. I am very happy to say that the ride was pain free. I am totally satisfied with the purchase so far. I do need to lower it a smidge but even without that, it was great! I am sure traditionalists won't believe me but, I could care less. lol! My butt don't hurt or any other crotch area. That makes it well worth the $95 I paid for it. I also didn't feel any control differences. Of course I wasn't going down any mountain side roads and tight turns but my rides in the countryside where I live are very hilly. So far I am very impressed!

    FV(K off idiot.

    Where are the mods to stop this [censored]?

  15. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Alienator ain't happy unless he's got a [censored] jammed up his ass. Even then he'll [censored] that you don't have sufficient data to prove he's happy despite the [censored]-eating grin he's wearing.

    He may love kinky sex. He may be a [censored]. He may love data. He may love stiring [censored].

    Yet he is the only one making sense in this and many other threads.

  16. I ride a Brooks Swallow and despite what your may read in a bazillion posts about Brooks, it took hardly any time to get used to it.

    You're a shill for Brooks!

    I had a Brooks B17 back in the day. I donated it for use by the Spanish Inquisition. I can't think of a saddle I've owned in 40 years that was less comfortable and yet there are tens of trillions of cyclists that find the B17 to be a perfectly decent saddle.

    If it works...use it. If it doesn't work, move on.

    I once knew a guy that became addicted to doing randonneur rides and riding stupid huge miles. At fast tempo. He used one of these:

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    He swore by it.

    Must have been a Spenco shill. Oh [censored]! Quick! Someone call da Forum Poleece!

  17. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by oldbobcat [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Why bother learning how to swim if it just means getting used to the water?

    The Moon reminds me of another saddle "solution" that appeared in the early 1970s, consisting of a racing bend handlebar somehow attached upside-down to a seat post, with a hammock-like affair slung between the drops. I believe it was marketed as a kit--handlebar not included.

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    The problems with saddles of this type are: sitting on the muscles you need to power the bike, little means of balance and control of the bike through the hips; and no means of supporting the front of the pelvis when riding in an even moderately assertive position. That means that the torso must be either held in a nearly vertical position or supported by the arms and shoulders. I might be able to make this work for 16 miles, but not 100.


    The "Bummer"!

    I used to see folks in the 1970's riding TOSRV (105 miles each way/two day tour) those. They made it work.

    Like you, no way would I want to use one. The steering effect of using a seat between the legs is probably greatly reduced, but not every long-distance rider is a racer or needs it.

    Dan Henry (yes, THAT Dan Henry) died in 2010 at the age of 98. Dan used one of those hammock/sling seats for decades. He made it work...he invented the darn thing! Heheh!

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    God bless you, Dan, where ever you are now cycling. Probably shilling the damned thing in Heaven!

    Look at that classic Silca Impero!

  18. Brooks were such torture devices they came up with the idea of selling them "Pre-Softened". Didn't help! At all! The supposed cure to the 'Brooks Board' was to de-rivet it from the frame, soak it for a week in Neatsfoot Oil, beat the [censored] out of it with a ball bat (I threated to leave mine out on the freeway for a couple of days to be run over by traffic) and the rivet the then supposedly comfortable hide back on to the frame.

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    Hey...I'm on a roll!

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    The Bummer in fore-aft adjustable model and with roller bearing free pivots.

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

    Brooks doing anatomic cutouts in the 1890's...old timey urologist's report available at extra cost.

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com700[/IMG]

  19. Jerome K. Jerome said it best in 1900:

    "...There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard."

    "There was that saddle you bought in Birmingham; it was divided in the middle, and looked like a pair of kidneys."

    He said: "You mean that one constructed on anatomical principles."

    Meanwhile...112 years later...

  20. Originally Posted by Soonercolt [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    ... If they have better ergonomically correct seats then why on earth would riders not want to try them? Quick answer to that is, most people are resistant to change,

    Ever heard: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Why should I spend money on something that's already good enough? There are other body parts and systems that'll limit my riding long before the butt enters it veto.

    And I still think you're way too eager to pursue a minority solution.
    Noseless saddles of various designs has been around for about as long as the traditional saddle, yet they remain a fringe phenomenon. The rest of us must sure be docile sheep if we're so easily herded by the marketing tune of the Big Companies.

    And let me tell you, no one who has ever seen my bikes would ever accuse me of being mainstream....

    Ergonomically correct is severely questionable. According to what reference? Bike riding is an artificial activity from the word go, I don't think it can ever be ergonomically correct, only degrees of suitability. People find what works for them.

    If you're happy with the moon, fine. But since it'll be the 1st other saddle you're using, you can't really testify as whether it's the Moon design that made you happy, or if another, but regular saddle would have worked just as well.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.