Moots vs. Lynskey vs. IF

cooper411

Dec 11, 2006
Looking at getting a titanium bike real soon. Will basically be my dream bike and I will probably spec it with the new SRAM Force group and use my existing Mavic Kysrium wheelset. Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the three builders above. I don't have any special needs, so I don't necessarily need a customer frame. Would probably be looking at a Moots Compact or a level 3 Lynskey. Having a hard time paying $1800 more ($3800) for a IF Ti Crown Jewel. Bike will be used for a lot of recreational riding (including long rides/brevets) and some crits and road races. Thoughts?

Any of these framebuilders will do a great job with building your dream bike, but the most important step is to make sure they are building the "right" bike for your purposes.

So, I favor a process where the builder or their surrogate gets to see you on the bike. Examples include getting fit using a Serotta Size Cycle with one of their trained technicians or going to shop such as Signature Cycles which takes the process another step. I decided to have Tom Kellogg (Spectrum Cycles) build my frame after a 3 hour interview and fitting.

Perhaps a better resource is www.bikefanclub.com. They have forums for many of the high-end frame builders including IF.

Good luck with your dream bike!

leebm said:
Any of these framebuilders will do a great job with building your dream bike, but the most important step is to make sure they are building the "right" bike for your purposes.

So, I favor a process where the builder or their surrogate gets to see you on the bike. Examples include getting fit using a Serotta Size Cycle with one of their trained technicians or going to shop such as Signature Cycles which takes the process another step. I decided to have Tom Kellogg (Spectrum Cycles) build my frame after a 3 hour interview and fitting.

Perhaps a better resource is www.bikefanclub.com. They have forums for many of the high-end frame builders including IF.

Good luck with your dream bike!
This is good advice.
Part of the process is what you are riding now and what works/doesn't work well for you now. You will get as many sets of advice as there are people.
I am still taking steps on a couple of my bicycles to make them just "right" for their intended applications. Both are Ti and one is custom made for me.

cooper411 said:
Having a hard time paying $1800 more ($3800) for a IF Ti Crown Jewel. Bike will be used for a lot of recreational riding (including long rides/brevets) and some crits and road races. Thoughts?
I'm going to be purchasing a Moots Vamoots as well. Just out of curiosity, where have you found the frame for $2000? Everywhere I've looked seems to be selling at MSRP which is ~$2500

I ride a Vamoots.

I went through a pretty long selection process, too--evaluating dozens and dozens of frame manufacturers.

When you're looking at $2 - 2,500 for a frame, you just about can't go wrong and Moots is no exception.

Agreed that fit is everything. Have you ridden any of these?? It's not always possible, but ... if you can ... it's surely better.

Have you talked with the builders? Sometimes you just get a better vibe from one than another.

I can't say enough good things about my Vamoots, but--perhaps more importantly--I haven't found a single downside. Not one. That seems to be MORE true with Moots owners than with any other make I found ... and that's what finally made the decision for me.

Whichever way you go ... have fun!

Neil