Moots vs. Merlin vs. Seven

Roscoe East

Guest
Having recently gotten both a pantload of unexpected cash, and an
inexplicable titanium jones, was wondering if there are any good
reasons to choose one of the above-named bikes over the others?

I do mostly club road riding, 40-100 miles a day two or three days a
week interspersed with occasional commuting to/from work (11 miles each
way). I like speed, I like climbing almost as much as descending, I
like a bike that's light enough I can carry it up 5 flights of
stairs... I don't do any racing now, but wouldn't mind a machine
capable of surviving crits if I got into it at some later date.

I'd ideally like a bike that will last forever.

>From what I've seen of Moots, Merlin, and Seven, any of these brands

would fit the bill. So what don't I know about these companies?
Warranty, customer service, recall record, value, anything that would
make you lean towards one brand?

Thanks.

Roscoe East wrote:
> Having recently gotten both a pantload of unexpected cash, and an
> inexplicable titanium jones, was wondering if there are any good
> reasons to choose one of the above-named bikes over the others?
>
> I do mostly club road riding, 40-100 miles a day two or three days a
> week interspersed with occasional commuting to/from work (11 miles each
> way). I like speed, I like climbing almost as much as descending, I
> like a bike that's light enough I can carry it up 5 flights of
> stairs... I don't do any racing now, but wouldn't mind a machine
> capable of surviving crits if I got into it at some later date.
>
> I'd ideally like a bike that will last forever.
>
> >From what I've seen of Moots, Merlin, and Seven, any of these brands

> would fit the bill. So what don't I know about these companies?
> Warranty, customer service, recall record, value, anything that would
> make you lean towards one brand?
>
> Thanks.

All are good brands with long histories. Merlin is now part of
Litespeed. Among the brands your best bet is to find the frame that
fits you the best. That will be more important than the decal on the
frame.

Merlins are, or were, designed by Tom Kellogg, who is Spectrum Bikes;
Merlin welds his ti frames, though he and his partner do their own
steel bikes. Why not go directly to the source? Tom's a great
framebuilder, a nice guy, and good to work with on the bike of your
dreams; I enjoy my Spectrum immensely. Regards, Roy Zipris