Moral question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 8, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.

    Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should help
    to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).

    I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the
    right material.

    I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
    was there.

    So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

    Tags:

  2. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    I just bought some padded shorts (regular style, not tights)and I love em! They really help your ass
    :) They are too much money if you ask me, but still worth it.

    > Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
    >
    > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    >
    > I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    > material.
    >
    > I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
    > was there.
    >
    > So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
    >
    > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    >
    > I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    > material.
    >
    > I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
    > was there.
    >
    > So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?

    If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar ALWAYS
    have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt from Campmor or
    walmart for $9.95.

    Shop within your budget, and determine what is a need, what is a "would be nice to have" For cyling,
    shorts and helmet are the only real needs for your body if you have budget concerns

    penny

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    TacomaBoy wrote:
    > I just bought some padded shorts (regular style, not tights)and I love em! They really help your
    > ass :) They are too much money if you ask me, but still worth it.

    you paid too much if you paid over $30. See Performance/nashbar for closeouts

    Penny S

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > I just bought some padded shorts (regular style, not tights)and I love em! They really help your
    > ass :) They are too much money if you ask me, but still worth it.

    My ass is self padded ;-)

    Strangely, i have never needed padded shorts. but then, the very nice seat Gary donated is a little
    narrower than the one i had, and a little harder, so that may be a future purchase.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.

    If you have to ask...

    > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).

    Are you having problems in that area? Overheating, too much sweat?

    > I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    > material.
    >
    > I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
    > was there.
    >
    > So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?

    Padded shorts, or a resume service.

    Pete

  7. Penny S. wrote:
    > Technician wrote:
    >
    >>Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
    >>
    >>Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    >>etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    >>fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    >>help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    >>
    >>I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    >>material.
    >>
    >>I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
    >>was there.
    >>
    >>So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
    >

    > If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar ALWAYS
    > have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt from Campmor
    > or walmart for $9.95.
    >
    > Shop within your budget, and determine what is a need, what is a "would be nice to have" For
    > cyling, shorts and helmet are the only real needs for your body if you have budget concerns
    >
    > penny

    ... Unless you want nicer shorts.

    I bought some $30 shorts, they were pretty good. Then I bought some $60 or so shorts... the
    difference is AMAZING. The more expensive ones are more comfortable by a longshot, and don't feel
    anywhere near as diaperish. They were both PI, and both on sale.

    Jon Bond

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >> Technician wrote:
    >>
    >>> Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
    >>>
    >>> Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    >>> etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    >>> fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    >>> help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    >>>
    >>> I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    >>> material.
    >>>
    >>> I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i was
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
    >>

    >> If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar ALWAYS
    >> have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt from Campmor
    >> or walmart for $9.95.
    >>
    >> Shop within your budget, and determine what is a need, what is a "would be nice to have" For
    >> cyling, shorts and helmet are the only real needs for your body if you have budget concerns
    >>
    >> penny
    >
    > ... Unless you want nicer shorts.
    >
    > I bought some $30 shorts, they were pretty good. Then I bought some $60 or so shorts... the
    > difference is AMAZING. The more expensive ones are more comfortable by a longshot, and don't feel
    > anywhere near as diaperish. They were both PI, and both on sale.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I am going to assume that you have more disposable income than T. does... the whole point of this
    exericse ( I thought) is looking at what you can afford when you have to make budgetary choices...

    Penny

  9. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    > TacomaBoy wrote:
    > > I just bought some padded shorts (regular style, not tights)and I love em! They really help your
    > > ass :) They are too much money if you ask me, but still worth it.
    >
    > you paid too much if you paid over $30. See Performance/nashbar for closeouts
    >
    > Penny S

    I paid 50 for a really nice set of Fox (clearance.. some of them puppies are 100+ bucks!). I really
    did a lot of searching at several LBSs and soem sports shops. Other than buying used (UGH), I
    couldn't find any cheaper ones. These aren't the tights either these are the full shorts with
    pockets and the inner lining and pad. Even if they are too much, they are worth it, at least to me
    and my taint lol.

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    TacomaBoy wrote:
    >> TacomaBoy wrote:
    >>> I just bought some padded shorts (regular style, not tights)and I love em! They really help your
    >>> ass :) They are too much money if you ask me, but still worth it.
    >>
    >> you paid too much if you paid over $30. See Performance/nashbar for closeouts
    >>
    >> Penny S
    >>>

    > I paid 50 for a really nice set of Fox (clearance.. some of them puppies are 100+ bucks!). I
    > really did a lot of searching at several LBSs and soem sports shops. Other than buying used (UGH),
    > I couldn't find any cheaper ones. These aren't the tights either these are the full shorts with
    > pockets and the inner lining and pad. Even if they are too much, they are worth it, at least to me
    > and my taint lol.

    clearance is good.

    penny

  11. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
    > >
    > > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    > > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    > > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    > > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    > >
    > > I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    > > material.
    > >
    > > I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i was
    > > there.
    > >
    > > So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
    >
    > If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar ALWAYS
    > have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt from Campmor
    > or walmart for $9.95.
    >
    > Shop within your budget, and determine what is a need, what is a "would be nice to have" For
    > cyling, shorts and helmet are the only real needs for your body if you have budget concerns
    >
    > penny

    Ok, lets see what i managed to find.

    shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16650 @ $31.99
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=13955 @ $24.99 (though this body and lycra may
    or may not match)

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6773 @ $12.99
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1568 @ $29.99

    Jersey/shirt: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15228 @ $24.49

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6260 @ $24.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6254 @
    $34.99 (more than $30, but the style just caught my eye)

    I'll compare these prices to what my LBS has to offer. I'm fairly sure they will be more expensive,
    but they just may have something. at least i'll have a basis for comparison now. Thanks
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    > > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    > > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    > > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    >
    > Are you having problems in that area? Overheating, too much sweat?

    Actually, last year i soaked a shirt most every ride. due to the heat i was overheating several
    times and i could feel it was sapping my energy, and i knew it the next day when i didn't have to
    urinate, well, at all (1 liter of water just wasn't enough, thank the biking gods, and the IRS, for
    the 3 liter camelbak).

    Well, that's the last post tonight. pretty quick it will be morning.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  13. David

    David Guest

    > Ok, lets see what i managed to find.
    >

    > Jersey/shirt: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15228 @ $24.49
    >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6260 @ $24.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6254 @
    > $34.99 (more than $30, but the style just caught my eye)

    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=28986704&prmenbr=226 $14.99
    Not a cycling jersey though, but it's cheap, and should be cool. I have a sorta similar shirt for
    Other Activities.

  14. David

    David Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=28986704&prmenbr=226 $14.99
    > Not a cycling jersey though, but it's cheap, and should be cool. I have a sorta similar shirt for
    > Other Activities.

    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=28779346&prmenbr=226

    I just saw that for a few $ more, you get a zip front. Should be worth it. $17.99 for a
    pocketless jersey.

    David

  15. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Technician said...

    > Ok, lets see what i managed to find.
    >
    > shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16650 @ $31.99

    No padded liner, so why bother?

    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=13955 @ $24.99

    I avoid tights, cuz they are just too...well...um...gay looking. There I said it.

    > (though this body and lycra may or may not match)
    >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6773 @ $12.99

    Again, no padded liner.

    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1568 @ $29.99

    Good, but look closely at the size selection.

    > Jersey/shirt: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15228 @ $24.49
    >
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6260 @ $24.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6254 @
    > $34.99 (more than $30, but the style just caught my eye)
    >
    > I'll compare these prices to what my LBS has to offer. I'm fairly sure they will be more
    > expensive, but they just may have something. at least i'll have a basis for comparison now. Thanks

    Look carefully at the size selections before you buy. Note that some of the items you listed come in
    small or XXL only. If your LBS is like any near me, you will get no discount retail prices on just
    about everything.

    Try this link for some good and cheap shorts:
    http://www.supergo.com/itemlist.asp?id=5&subid=1613&company=Fox

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > I'll compare these prices to what my LBS has to offer. I'm fairly sure they will be more
    > expensive, but they just may have something. at least i'll have a basis for comparison now. Thanks

    I wouldn't order any clothing over the 'net, unless it's a replacement. The sizing of cycle clothing
    does not conform to any rational logic,
    IME.

    --
    J.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

    K.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  17. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > I'll compare these prices to what my LBS has to offer. I'm fairly sure they will be more
    > > expensive, but they just may have something. at least i'll have a basis for comparison now.
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I wouldn't order any clothing over the 'net, unless it's a replacement. The sizing of cycle
    > clothing does not conform to any rational logic,
    > IME.

    So, then something that specifies a 46 waist, may not actually fit a 46 waist? would it be bigger
    or smaller?
    --

  18. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar
    > >> ALWAYS have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt
    > >> from Campmor or walmart for $9.95.
    > I am going to assume that you have more disposable income than T. does... the whole point of this
    > exericse ( I thought) is looking at what you can afford when you have to make budgetary choices...
    >
    > Penny

    You did say "Never", no budget caveat in that phrase.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  19. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    >>I wouldn't order any clothing over the 'net, unless it's a replacement. The sizing of cycle
    >>clothing does not conform to any rational logic,
    >>IME.
    >>

    > So, then something that specifies a 46 waist, may not actually fit a 46 waist? would it be bigger
    > or smaller?

    46 waist? As in 46 inches?

    I'm a 34" waist, my XXL Dainese shorts are on the tight side, I had to take an XL for my Fox shorts,
    yet my tights are M. All my shirts are XL I think.

    As I say, it just seems to be totally random, which is why it's best to go and try stuff on.

  20. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    > Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
    >
    > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
    > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
    > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
    > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
    >
    > I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
    > material.
    >
    > I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
    > was there.
    >
    > So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net

    I get all my riding threads off of eBay at really good prices. I'm a Fox fan and simply can't afford
    Fox's retail...Mike