Moral question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technician wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> Technician wrote:
>>
>>> I'll compare these prices to what my LBS has to offer. I'm fairly sure they will be more
>>> expensive, but they just may have something. at least i'll have a basis for comparison now.
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I wouldn't order any clothing over the 'net, unless it's a replacement. The sizing of cycle
>> clothing does not conform to any rational logic, IME.
>>
>>
>
> So, then something that specifies a 46 waist, may not actually fit a 46 waist? would it be bigger
> or smaller?

BOmba is right... cycling sizes are weird. Call and ask them if they run large or small. I've never
had paroblems with tops, but always with bottoms.

Penny

Craig Brossman wrote:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>> If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar
>>>> ALWAYS have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt
>>>> from Campmor or walmart for $9.95.
>> I am going to assume that you have more disposable income than T. does... the whole point of this
>> exericse ( I thought) is looking at what you can afford when you have to make budgetary
>> choices...
>>
>> Penny
>>
>>
> You did say "Never", no budget caveat in that phrase.

are you picking on me? :) For Travis and his declared budget crisis, the fact that he stated he
has a genetic/ineherited spending problem, never might be a good thing. Anyone else... decide
for yourself.

Penny

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I wouldn't order any clothing over the 'net, unless it's a replacement. The sizing of cycle
> > clothing does not conform to any rational logic,
> > IME.
> >
> >
>
> So, then something that specifies a 46 waist, may not actually fit a 46 waist? would it be bigger
> or smaller?

Precisely.

Bill "46??? Newfound respect (and sympathy) for the 'Goose!" S.

On Thu, 8 May 2003 23:46:01 -0400, Technician wrote:
> Ok, lets see what i managed to find.
>
> shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16650 @ $31.99

Those don't look half bad, but I'm not sure whats inside. I've seen them for ~$70, so if I were you
I'd ****** these up ASAP.

> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=13955 @ $24.99 (though this body and lycra may
> or may not match)

Lycra really is the best for technical riding; nothing to catch anywhere. And these are a great pair
of lycra shorts - nice fabric and decent padding (I have a pair). But I must admit I really don't
feel comfortable wearing lycra either. They're also not bad under a pair of regular shorts, as long
as you can find shorts with a high enough crotch that it doesn't catch on the seat; I got lucky and
came across a fantastic pair. Also, wearing these under a pair of shorts is really nice when the
weather is a bit cool (but not so good when its hot). Plus you have the added advantage of being
able to ditch the dirty shorts after the ride without being buck naked.

Its been said a couple of times here, and I'll concur: a good pair of shorts is a wonderful thing.
The two loose-fitting shorts that seem to get the best reviews are Nema Jewel and Fox Mid-Ranger.
Both are $50-60, though.

> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6773 @ $12.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1568
> @ $29.99

Find if you're a small or xtra large, since that's all they have in stock.

> Jersey/shirt: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15228 @ $24.49
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6260 @ $24.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6254 @
> $34.99 (more than $30, but the style just caught my eye)

Forget all the colorful tight-fitting roadie stuff. You can buy two or three jerseys from various
places for these prices. I use New Balance running jerseys from Marshall's for $12.

I rode for several years before wearing anything but t-shirts. Sure, you get a little more funky,
but its not a big deal. You can hold off on this until you come across a good deal. Decent shorts
are WAY more important.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

On Fri, 09 May 2003 12:33:38 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:

>> shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16650 @ $31.99
>
> No padded liner, so why bother?

Oops, I missed that part - yep, these are NOT going to be good for riding (unless you buy the
lycras, too).

--

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> On Thu, 8 May 2003 23:46:01 -0400, Technician wrote:
> > Ok, lets see what i managed to find.
> >
> > shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16650 @ $31.99
>
> Those don't look half bad, but I'm not sure whats inside. I've seen them for ~$70, so if I were
> you I'd ****** these up ASAP.
>
> > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=13955 @ $24.99 (though this body and lycra
> > may or may not match)
>
> Lycra really is the best for technical riding; nothing to catch anywhere. And these are a great
> pair of lycra shorts - nice fabric and decent padding (I have a pair). But I must admit I really
> don't feel comfortable wearing lycra either. They're also not bad under a pair of regular shorts,
> as long as you can find shorts with a high enough crotch that it doesn't catch on the seat; I got
> lucky and came across a fantastic pair. Also, wearing these under a pair of shorts is really nice
> when the weather is a bit cool (but not so good when its hot). Plus you have the added advantage
> of being able to ditch the dirty shorts after the ride without being buck naked.
>
> Its been said a couple of times here, and I'll concur: a good pair of shorts is a wonderful thing.
> The two loose-fitting shorts that seem to get the best reviews are Nema Jewel and Fox Mid-Ranger.
> Both are $50-60, though.
>
> > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6773 @ $12.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1568
> > @ $29.99
>
> Find if you're a small or xtra large, since that's all they have in stock.
>
> > Jersey/shirt: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15228 @ $24.49
> >
> > http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6260 @ $24.99 http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6254
> > @ $34.99 (more than $30, but the style just caught my eye)
>
> Forget all the colorful tight-fitting roadie stuff. You can buy two or three jerseys from various
> places for these prices. I use New Balance running jerseys from Marshall's for $12.
>
> I rode for several years before wearing anything but t-shirts. Sure, you get a little more funky,
> but its not a big deal. You can hold off on this until you come across a good deal. Decent shorts
> are WAY more important.
>
>

Yeah, i may just end up getting a pair of shorts instead. i'll see if i can find that wicking
t-shirt at wal-mart that Penny spoke of.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

> On Fri, 09 May 2003 12:33:38 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:
>
> >> shorts: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16650 @ $31.99
> >
> > No padded liner, so why bother?
>
> Oops, I missed that part - yep, these are NOT going to be good for riding (unless you buy the
> lycras, too).
>
>

Just noticed the largest size they have is XXL(42). so they would be a little too snug anyway.
--
~Travis

On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:50 -0400, Technician wrote:

> Just noticed the largest size they have is XXL(42). so they would be a little too snug anyway.

In that case its probably just as well to hold off on the shorts. Ride enough, and you won't have a
problem fitting into XXL (or smaller).

--

> On Fri, 9 May 2003 15:27:50 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
> > Just noticed the largest size they have is XXL(42). so they would be a little too snug anyway.
>
> In that case its probably just as well to hold off on the shorts. Ride enough, and you won't have
> a problem fitting into XXL (or smaller).
>
>

May be true, but last year i only dropped from a 48 to a 46, and maybe a 44 if i didn't mind the
pain. i said 46, because i am now in a 48, though i can wear 46, just not very comfortably.

Though most of my problem is, a 46 waist is fine (if i suck in a little), but i have to have relaxed
fit 48 pants in order for my legs to have any breathing room. so all my shorts are...

oh, wait, sorry, brain fart. i wear a 36/38 (summer/winter size), not
46/48 (not sure where the 4 came from). good thing i didn't buy any online as an impulse, huh.

So anyway, as i started to say. all my shorts are 36 and all my pants are 38 relaxed fit.
--
~Travis

Technician wrote:
>
> Yeah, i may just end up getting a pair of shorts instead. i'll see if i can find that wicking
> t-shirt at wal-mart that Penny spoke of.
\

haha... I don't know that they actually have one.. I just read about a lot of folks getting
stuff there.

> Technician wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, i may just end up getting a pair of shorts instead. i'll see if i can find that wicking
> > t-shirt at wal-mart that Penny spoke of.
> \
>
> haha... I don't know that they actually have one.. I just read about a lot of folks getting
> stuff there.
>
>
>

Ahh, i see. it all comes out now ;-)
--
~Travis

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Craig Brossman wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>>> If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar
> >>>> ALWAYS have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt
> >>>> from Campmor or walmart for $9.95.
> >> I am going to assume that you have more disposable income than T. does... the whole point of
> >> this exericse ( I thought) is looking at what you can afford when you have to make budgetary
> >> choices...
> >>
> >> Penny
> >>
> >>
> > You did say "Never", no budget caveat in that phrase.
>
> are you picking on me? :) For Travis and his declared budget crisis, the fact that he stated he
> has a genetic/ineherited spending problem, never might be a good thing. Anyone else... decide for
> yourself.
>
> Penny
>
>
No ... well maybe. My wife went out for a ride without me and I have to pick on someone. I would
have to agree with the most of the statement though, Trav should not spend more than $30 on riding
shorts, but I'm with Jon, if you can afford better, I have found them more comfortable. Of course I
have a 42 year old butt, I have earned a little more comfort :)

To actually add value, this is the first year in my 13 or so years of mountain biking that I have
added biking shirts to the mix, and I will still wear cotton tees. On a nice warm day, they do get a
bit soggy, but so what. Unless I'm at elevation with a danger of quick weather changes, tee shirts
work fine. AND are much easier to clean the sun glasses with!
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Forget all the colorful tight-fitting roadie stuff. You can buy two or three jerseys from various
> places for these prices. I use New Balance running jerseys from Marshall's for $12.
>
> I rode for several years before wearing anything but t-shirts. Sure, you get a little more funky,
> but its not a big deal. You can hold off on this until you come across a good deal. Decent shorts
> are WAY more important.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
One nice feature of "roadie" type of jerseys are the pockets in the back. You can keep your
partially eaten power bar back there for a few nips now and again, keep the sunglasses back there
when they get sweated up on a climb, a long pair of gloves. Yes, all this can be kept in a camelback
as well, but the back of the shirt is much easier to get to while riding. I don't like the riding
billboard type personally, and usually just buy solid colors.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

Craig Brossman wrote:
> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Forget all the colorful tight-fitting roadie stuff. You can buy two or three jerseys from various
>> places for these prices. I use New Balance running jerseys from Marshall's for $12.
>>
>> I rode for several years before wearing anything but t-shirts. Sure, you get a little more funky,
>> but its not a big deal. You can hold off on this until you come across a good deal. Decent shorts
>> are WAY more important.
>>
>> --
>> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
> One nice feature of "roadie" type of jerseys are the pockets in the back. You can keep your
> partially eaten power bar back there for a few nips now and again, keep the sunglasses back there
> when they get sweated up on a climb, a long pair of gloves. Yes, all this can be kept in a
> camelback as well, but the back of the shirt is much easier to get to while riding. I don't like
> the riding billboard type personally, and usually just buy solid colors.

So I'm not the only one that thinks Primal wear is really hideous? As for shorts, I've heard many
good things about the PI .. but I've been making my own (sewing) padded bike shorts for 10 years,
and haven't gotten saddle sore yet.

Penny

> > I just bought some padded shorts (regular style, not tights)and I love
em!
> > They really help your ass :) They are too much money if you ask me, but still worth it.
> >
>
> My ass is self padded ;-)
>
> Strangely, i have never needed padded shorts. but then, the very nice seat Gary donated is a
> little narrower than the one i had, and a little harder, so that may be a future purchase.
> --

Proving once again that when it comes to bicycle saddles, one man's La-Z-Boy is another man's
ass-hatchet.

Just Say: "All the padding in the world can't make up for a too-narrow saddle."

> Craig Brossman wrote:
> > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Forget all the colorful tight-fitting roadie stuff. You can buy two or three jerseys from
> >> various places for these prices. I use New Balance running jerseys from Marshall's for $12.
> >>
> >> I rode for several years before wearing anything but t-shirts. Sure, you get a little more
> >> funky, but its not a big deal. You can hold off on this until you come across a good deal.
> >> Decent shorts are WAY more important.

> > One nice feature of "roadie" type of jerseys are the pockets in the back. You can keep your
> > partially eaten power bar back there for a few nips now and again, keep the sunglasses back
> > there when they get sweated up on a climb, a long pair of gloves. Yes, all this can be kept in a
> > camelback as well, but the back of the shirt is much easier to get to while riding. I don't like
> > the riding billboard type personally, and usually just buy solid colors.
>
> So I'm not the only one that thinks Primal wear is really hideous?

Some of their stuff is OK, but WAY overpriced IMO. Even on so-called close-out from places like
Price Point, PW jerseys always seem to be at least $60 or 70 (not worth it in my book).

> As for shorts, I've heard many good things about the PI .. but I've been making my own (sewing)
> padded bike shorts for 10 years, and haven't gotten saddle sore yet

I have an old pair of PI shorts, but they're uncomfortable (too tight in an important region). I'm
much happier with lower cost Performance brand shorts, although their quality can be "hit or miss"
at times (sizes inconsistent, gel pads clumpy, and "sew" on :)

Bill "yet to find baggies I like, either; Zoics ride down on me" S.

> Technician wrote:
> > Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
> >
> > Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
> > etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
> > fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
> > help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
> >
> > I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
> > material.
> >
> > I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i was
> > there.
> >
> > So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
>
> If you don't have a decent pair of shorts that's what you should get. Performance/nashbar ALWAYS
> have sale stuff. Never pay more than $30 for a shirt or shorts. Get a wicking tshirt from Campmor
> or walmart for $9.95.
>
> Shop within your budget, and determine what is a need, what is a "would be nice to have" For
> cyling, shorts and helmet are the only real needs for
your
> body if you have budget concerns
>
> penny
>
>

Or better yet, let your LBS know you are interested in buying some new riding clothing, and you want
to buy from a real bike shop, and not a mass merchandiser. They will certainly help you out, and
they will be there for you in the future when you need a flat fixed during a ride or you have
questions.

SUPPORT YOUR LBS!

Ken

On Fri, 09 May 2003 23:13:18 GMT, Craig Brossman wrote:

> One nice feature of "roadie" type of jerseys are the pockets in the back. You can keep your
> partially eaten power bar back there for a few nips now and again, keep the sunglasses back there
> when they get sweated up on a climb, a long pair of gloves. Yes, all this can be kept in a
> camelback as well, but the back of the shirt is much easier to get to while riding. I don't like
> the riding billboard type personally, and usually just buy solid colors.

I don't like the way they fit either.

About the pockets, though: seems like a nice feature, I suppose. For several years (up until last
year, actually) I rode with the old-style Camelbak (no pockets), and had a separate bum bag for
other ****. Getting a Clif bar was as simple as pulling the bag round front and opening it. Not like
the new Camelbaks that require a complete dismount to get at your stuff.

Maybe I should start using a small bum bag along with the 'bak. Maybe this is an opportunity for
Penny to come up with a creative solution?

--

> Given the response by some on my last spending endeavor, i thought i would poll the masses.
>
> Currently my riding clothing consists primarily of cotton based fabrics (T-shirt, khaki shorts,
> etc). i was thinking now would be a good time to perhaps purchase a jersey, merely because the
> fabric won't hold sweat, and the trunk area is the largest covered portion while i ride (should
> help to keep core temperature down, and help endurance a little).
>
> I wasn't thinking top of the line, or any thing "stylish". just a basic jersey of the right
> material.
>
> I have a few things to pick up at the LBS so i thought i would look over the jerseys while i
> was there.
>
> So would this be a good investment, or would the money be better spent elsewhere?
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net

I have a couple of T shirts made by Adidas that use their "climalite" polyester fabric. It's their
version of fabric that wicks moisture away. They're really good and they look better around my spare
tyre than jerseys. They're not too expensive either
--
Westie

Status
Not open for further replies.