More 'bents on eBay...

Simon Brooke

Guest
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the traffic lately.

Bike E LWB OSS
<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686810383>
No suspension. Ouch.

Linear LWB USS
<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686605899>
A pole with a deckchair and wheels.

Challenge Twister SWB USS
<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686655103>
26/20, rather tall, full suspension, HS33s, dynamo lighting.

Challenge Mistral, SWB OSS
<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3687298660>
A bit grasshopper-like in general configuration, substantially taller
than a Hurricane, with Magura HS33s and air shock rear suspension. Very
nice.

Simon Brooke wrote:

[snip]

> Linear LWB USS
> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686605899>
> A pole with a deckchair and wheels.

A pole /made from cheese/. I have never seen one of these with the wheels
in line. Avoid.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Purple wrote:

> Sorry what's a bent?

It's an abbreviation of "recumbent". They're like normal bikes, only an =

order of magnitude more comfortable. Unfortunately the mass market=20
doesn't happen, so prices /start/ ay =A3500, though they're typically mor=
e.

see http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/pictures.htm#fiero for a=20
pic of Roos on her new one.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Purple
<[email protected]> breathed:

>Sorry what's a bent?

A recumbent bicycle - one you ride lying back, with the pedals in front
of you, rather than sitting up as on a conventional bike. They're said
to be very good for long-distance riding, and to be much more
comfortable than a conventional bike. They also go a lot faster because
you get to use your legs more efficiently, though seemingly you have to
watch for knee joint problems from pushing too hard on the pedals -
learning to "spin" is quite important when riding one. They tend to be
rare, and expensive.

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

Purple wrote:

> Sorry what's a bent?

It is a Revolting Abbreviation conjured up by Thoughtless Americans, and its
use should be strongly deprecated.

Thank you. I feel better now.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the traffic lately.
>
> Bike E LWB OSS
> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686810383>
> No suspension. Ouch.
>
> Linear LWB USS
> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686605899>
> A pole with a deckchair and wheels.
>
> Challenge Twister SWB USS
> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3686655103>
> 26/20, rather tall, full suspension, HS33s, dynamo lighting.
>
> Challenge Mistral, SWB OSS
> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3687298660>
> A bit grasshopper-like in general configuration, substantially taller
> than a Hurricane, with Magura HS33s and air shock rear suspension. Very
> nice.
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Sorry what's a bent?

Fran (going back to stand in the corner with a 'NEWBIE' hat on)

Pyromancer wrote:

> A recumbent bicycle - one you ride lying back, with the pedals in front
> of you, rather than sitting up as on a conventional bike. They're said
> to be very good for long-distance riding, and to be much more
> comfortable than a conventional bike.

"They" are right, though there's no reason not to use them for short and
medium distances too.

> They also go a lot faster because you get to use your legs more efficiently

Errrr, not really. A 'bent built for speed is faster because it has
markedly superior aerodynamics to an upright, though the really fast
ones have fairings as well as low frontal area created by the riding
position. A 'bent not built for speed may well be a fair bit slower
than an upright: you won't win many races on a BikeE or Flevo OkeJa, for
example.

> though seemingly you have to
> watch for knee joint problems from pushing too hard on the pedals -

No more so than any other bike, really. Though you can push off the
seat and don't have an effective limit for the push caused by your own
bodyweight you'd have to be a really sorry masher to get anywhere close
to it.

> learning to "spin" is quite important when riding one.

Indeed. Since you can't stand up you can't get an emergency heave onto
the power transmission by getting out of the saddle. Having said that,
my riding of uprights where I /can/ do that has got a lot better and
easier since I stopped doing so, the change in part because I'd learned
to spin better on the 'bent. Spinning the right gear is good practice
on any bike where you've got the gears, standing is usually a way of
making gear changes difficult and putting a lot of extra wear on your
knees and the transmission, and neither is a Good Thing.

> They tend to be rare, and expensive.

And often ridden by smug evangelists, i.e. me. But I cycle in a comfy
chair, which is something to be smug about, and I think a lot of other
people would like it too...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Purple
> <[email protected]> breathed:
>
> >Sorry what's a bent?

> A recumbent bicycle - one you ride lying back, with the pedals in front
> of you, rather than sitting up as on a conventional bike. They're said
> to be very good for long-distance riding, and to be much more
> comfortable than a conventional bike. They also go a lot faster because
> you get to use your legs more efficiently, though seemingly you have to
> watch for knee joint problems from pushing too hard on the pedals -
> learning to "spin" is quite important when riding one. They tend to be
> rare, and expensive.
>
> --
> - Pyromancer.
> - http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
> - http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal!
> - http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The Gothic Revival.

Aaahh right. Thanks everyone for filling me in :eek:)

Fran

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:42:42 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>> Sorry what's a bent?

>It is a Revolting Abbreviation conjured up by Thoughtless Americans, and its
>use should be strongly deprecated.

Just what that nice Mr Burrows said.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk