More Big Guy advice needed

steve617

Dec 19, 2004
I am 6 foot tall and weigh 275 lbs I have lost about 12 lbs in the last month. I work out on Nautilus 3 days a week and I do 24 mins on a Life Cycle 4 days a week. I have a Haro MTB with 1.5 Avocet Cross Clincher Tires. I really want to start back on riding the road again. (I also have a spalding 27 inch Blade) Anyway I have been looking at some intro Road Bikes and I really would like to stay around $600 or less. (if possible) Just wondering if my best bet would to just stay with the MTB untill I get lighter or perhaps gp to more of a Cross Bike. The bike I have been looking at was the Trek 05 1000. Just dont want to get a new bike then have to have to buy some new rims. Perhaps I should just stick with the MTB for now? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

steve617 said:
I am 6 foot tall and weigh 275 lbs I have lost about 12 lbs in the last month. I work out on Nautilus 3 days a week and I do 24 mins on a Life Cycle 4 days a week. I have a Haro MTB with 1.5 Avocet Cross Clincher Tires. I really want to start back on riding the road again. (I also have a spalding 27 inch Blade) Anyway I have been looking at some intro Road Bikes and I really would like to stay around $600 or less. (if possible) Just wondering if my best bet would to just stay with the MTB untill I get lighter or perhaps gp to more of a Cross Bike. The bike I have been looking at was the Trek 05 1000. Just dont want to get a new bike then have to have to buy some new rims. Perhaps I should just stick with the MTB for now? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Road bikes, unlike MTB's don't really offer a lot of "intro bikes" new for much less than $1,100 - $1,200. I would look at e-bay and I would recommend a Cannondale Caad3,4 or 5 frame with Shimano 105 components. I would also recomend wheels with a spoke count of 36 or at least 32 and tires that are 25 mm wide. Cannondale's (alum) are virtually bombproof due to their oversized downtubes and stays. Steel frames are also good for us big guys and with a little care can last for years, additionally the ride is a little smoother. Trek frames are a good deal too and they stand buy their warrantees. The wheels are really the key. If the wheels aren't strong enough you'll be breaking spokes (I've heard a few SNAPS in my cycling life and I'm 50 lbs lighter). Once you start bringing the wheels in the shop for new spokes and re-truing you'll blow your savings pretty quickly. If your goal is to lose weight, you will find that road cycling is an excellent form of exercise (I was 270 when I decided to get back on the road). Good luck!
:cool:

steve617 said:

Thanks

Steve
Specialized Sequoia sport. Around $880.00 and you will love it.