More bikes fewer cars.

Brimstone wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
>> Conor <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much like
>> they were saying:

>>> Could work. Get everyone to shove a quid in a pot and he who has the
>>> best, wins the pot.

>> Not really. Even where vehicles are identical, economy is very route
>> dependent.

> I expect a handicapping system could be worked out (just don't ask me to do
> it).

The best improvement (over already-established historical figures) could
win.

JNugent wrote:
> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>> JNugent wrote:

>>> I think we must be at cross purposes.
>>>
>>> Taken at face value and applied to the question, your "no" could be
>>> taken as a denial of the fact that a mean commuting distance of (say)
>>> 8.7 miles might mean that no-one actually has a commuting distance of
>>> 8.7 miles. I don't think that can be what you mean.

>> No, I did not deny any fact.

> So what were you saying "no" to?

(in answer to) Your question, quoted above.

Brimstone wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
>> Conor <[email protected]> gurgled happily, sounding much like
>> they were saying:

>>> Could work. Get everyone to shove a quid in a pot and he who has the
>>> best, wins the pot.

>> Not really. Even where vehicles are identical, economy is very route
>> dependent.

> I expect a handicapping system could be worked out (just don't ask me to do
> it).

Just put a Doug in every third vehicle!

;-)

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > The "average number of legs being less than two" quote is a well-known
> > example of how the mean can be misleading - even when perfectly
> > calculated.

> Misleading to morons, perhaps. Anyone with GCSE maths should have no
> trouble with it.

I suspect many of us could name several non-morons with GCSE Maths who
sometimes are misled by the use of an arithmetic mean. Many non-morons
have better and more interesting things to do with their lives than to
bother with statistics.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"Conor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, JNugent says...
>
>> I think we were thinking of private car (commuting) mpg, but what you
>> describe sounds like an absolutely wonderful idea.
>>

> Could work. Get everyone to shove a quid in a pot and he who has the
> best, wins the pot.

Better still he who can drop there average the most over one week. Getting
lower MPG is almost always more fun round here.

"Depresion" <127.0.0.1> writes:

> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> The big problem is that we've become used to long commutes which are
>> impossible by bike.

> Yes, bikes are clearly not the answer.

They might be when you add an engine giving you better economy and
traffic-busting abilities than anything on four wheels.

Jon

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:55:12 +0100, "Depresion" <127.0.0.1> wrote:

>"Peter Grange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>That's because you either live or work in the wrong place.

>> That's not always the answer. I do short term contract work in
>> different places. My last contract was about 35 miles east of my home.
>> My current contract is for 5 weeks, and is about 15 miles SW. Should I
>> move house for each contract? (Replies saying "Yes" and signed "Gordon
>> Brown" or "Alistair Darling" will be ignored :) ).

>OK, yes.
>
>Mr E. Stateagent

Ah, forgot about him. Mr S O Licitor might be someone else to ignore.

Pete

On May 18, 12:24 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
> Tony Dragon <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Doug wrote:

> > > No problem on a bike.

> > > --
> > > UK Radical Campaigns
> > >www.zing.icom43.net
> > > It takes about 10 acres to feed a car on ethanol for a year.
> > > The world supply of grainland is about three-tenths of an acre per
> > > person.

> > That would depend on the terrain & the user, but for most it should be
> > no problem.

> sure if one is a cyclist, but may well not be any faster than other
> forms, particaly if count changing time etc, 10 miles or close to at
> least, is getting on to the needing to be keen cyclist.
>
> as is the way of averages most are likely to have shorter journeys look
> at average wages for comparison only the Mean would give a better idea.

My Canadian figures are median figures. A very large proportion of
the commutes are well under 5 km.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

On May 18, 6:42 am, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nick Finnigan wrote:
> > John Kane wrote:

> >> But what's the distance for the rest?  You may have 50% of your office
> >> within practical commuting distance.

> >> I surprised myself a while ago when I looked up some commuting stats
> >> for Canada (where we have  some looong distances)  A bit over 60% of
> >> all Canadians had a one way commute of less than 10km.
> >>http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/cycling/commute.png

> >> I wonder what the UK figures are?

> >  Average commute distance 8.7 miles, the break down may well be similar.

> Is that "average" the mode, the mean or the median?

Median based on Stattistics Canada figures. A large proportion of the
commutes under 10 km are under 5km (see graph).

On May 21, 12:56 pm, "Depresion" <127.0.0.1> wrote:
> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>

> > The big problem is that we've become used to long commutes which are
> > impossible by bike.

> Yes, bikes are clearly not the answer.

Well for commuting from London to Paris you're probably right. Of
course how many people do this?

John Kane Kingston ON Canada