Bike buying advice · Public discussion

more comfortable- steel or titanium?

Started by needawheel · · Last activity · 3 posts · 760 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
30 April 2012
Last activity
9 May 2012
Original author
needawheel
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
760
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. If tire/pressure is the same, which type of material is usually more shock absorbing on big bumps? (using standard size tubes) I have only ridden steel.

  2. I went from a bone-jarring, tooth-rattling, 25-year-old Schwinn steel frame to a Habanero titanium (with skinnier, higher-pressure tires), and the difference was night and day. BUT, I can mash those pedals from a dead stop, and the frame doesn't flex--it puts the power to the road.

    Of course, I would expect a better ride, as (adjusting for inflation) I paid about 5 times as much for the Ti as I did for the steel (I moved the handlebars, seat and pedals over, so those didn't change anything).

  3. needawheel said:

    If tire/pressure is the same, which type of material is usually more shock absorbing on big bumps? (using standard size tubes)  I have only ridden steel.

    A comfy bike can be made from any of the common materials. Whether a bike is comfy or not depends on many more things than material. Test ride bikes that interest you, and then buy the one that fits best, rides best, looks best, and best fits your budget. That's about it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.