more comfortable- steel or titanium?

needawheel

May 30, 2007
If tire/pressure is the same, which type of material is usually more shock absorbing on big bumps? (using standard size tubes) I have only ridden steel.

I went from a bone-jarring, tooth-rattling, 25-year-old Schwinn steel frame to a Habanero titanium (with skinnier, higher-pressure tires), and the difference was night and day. BUT, I can mash those pedals from a dead stop, and the frame doesn't flex--it puts the power to the road.

Of course, I would expect a better ride, as (adjusting for inflation) I paid about 5 times as much for the Ti as I did for the steel (I moved the handlebars, seat and pedals over, so those didn't change anything).

needawheel said:
If tire/pressure is the same, which type of material is usually more shock absorbing on big bumps? (using standard size tubes)  I have only ridden steel.
A comfy bike can be made from any of the common materials. Whether a bike is comfy or not depends on many more things than material. Test ride bikes that interest you, and then buy the one that fits best, rides best, looks best, and best fits your budget. That's about it.