More convinced than ever: Lance in the Giro next year

Gary

Guest
Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
besides drugs.
Gary

I'm telling ya... US Cirt circuit. Lance comes back to the US and races
domestically. Threshold Sports makes a killing off a new "head to head" crit
format with Lance vs Simeoni in the first one. Next up: Gaggioli vs Sundt
And in the finals--raced indoors around the halls at Madison Sq
Garden---Armstrong, Lemond, Hinault and Ullrich. The catch: all of them will be
on ecstasy.
Wes

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
> same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
> He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
> him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
> besides drugs.
> Gary

Do you really think a new sponsor is going to allow missing the Tour when
they are paying for a 5 - 6 time (5 at the time of the contract signing)
winner? If so, think a bit more about it.

maybe he might even try a spring classic or the hour record or the olympics
or the worlds... I doubt it though - he is a one race guy.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
> same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
> He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
> him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
> besides drugs.
> Gary

Absolutely. It's a question of "buzz." #7 would be so-so buzz. Winning
the Giro and Vuelta in the same year and reaching for the highest level
of all-time recognition has buzz written all over it. Discovery wants buzz.

Chris wrote:
> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
>>same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
>>He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
>>him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
>>besides drugs.
>>Gary

> Do you really think a new sponsor is going to allow missing the Tour when
> they are paying for a 5 - 6 time (5 at the time of the contract signing)
> winner? If so, think a bit more about it.

That's exactly the mentality that Lance wants to dispel. The only way is
to win the other two GTs. And he knows he better do it now or miss his
chance.

Richard Hertz wrote:

> maybe he might even try a spring classic or the hour record or the olympics
> or the worlds... I doubt it though - he is a one race guy.
>

> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
>>same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
>>He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
>>him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
>>besides drugs.
>>Gary

Gary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Absolutely. It's a question of "buzz." #7 would be so-so buzz. Winning
> the Giro and Vuelta in the same year and reaching for the highest level
> of all-time recognition has buzz written all over it. Discovery wants buzz.

The Giro and Vuelta has buzz for cycling fans, and zero buzz for the general
American public who can't even pronounce Giro or Vuelta.

Kurt

Ah, but if Lance enters I believe he is big enough to generate that
buzz. The media will have a built in story on whther Lance can dispel
his lower place in the cycling history by winning these two other GTs.

Kurt wrote:
> Gary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Absolutely. It's a question of "buzz." #7 would be so-so buzz. Winning
>>the Giro and Vuelta in the same year and reaching for the highest level
>>of all-time recognition has buzz written all over it. Discovery wants buzz.
>>

> The Giro and Vuelta has buzz for cycling fans, and zero buzz for the general
> American public who can't even pronounce Giro or Vuelta.
>
> Kurt

Gary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
> same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
> He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
> him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
> besides drugs.
> Gary

Probably one of the main reasons you see 'Giro' in so many news
sources is because many probably get their feed from AFP or such and
either directly reprint the article or run it through their own
sausage grinder, to put it in their own words. You can tell it's
sausage if references include AFP, AP or such.

Something fun is to go to Google news, type in a current topic and see
how many news sources start with exactly the same sentence. I did a
search on someone a few weeks ago and about 30 online news sites had
the same article, verbatim.

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Gosh, every interview I have heard today with non-cycling media has the
> > same line: I'll be back to do the tour again, but maybe not next year.
> > He's preparing the way gang: here comes the Giro. Now if I can just talk
> > him into the Vuelta as well, we'll really have something to talk about
> > besides drugs.
> > Gary

> Do you really think a new sponsor is going to allow missing the Tour when
> they are paying for a 5 - 6 time (5 at the time of the contract signing)
> winner? If so, think a bit more about it.

Just my opinion but american audiences (those who don't already watch
the Giro and Veulta) don't watch/follow the TDF they watch/follow
Lance at this point. Whatever Grand Tour he picks will be Americas
Gand Tour. I can already see the xenophobic marketing tag
lines...."He's conquered France, This year he sets his sights on
Italy....The Cyclism II: Lance Conqueres Rome!"

What is far more interesting a question is will the top contenders
make the switch to to the Giro also, adn if they do will Julich see
the podium in Paris again? Sorry that last part was mean but....

Steven wrote:
> I can already see the xenophobic marketing tag
> lines...."He's conquered France, This year he sets his sights on
> Italy....The Cyclism II: Lance Conqueres Rome!"

Barbarians at the Gate, but is Cunego's 2nd name Horatio ?