More data against H****ts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Publication by the Scottish Executive
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/55971/0015829.pdf

    39% of injured cyclists reported they were wearing a helmet at the time
    of their accident.

    Yet for Scottish cyclists in general 65% never wear a helmet and only
    23% wear a helmet on all or most trips. So ~ 23% of the (helmet
    wearing) population account for ~40% of injuries.

    (Section 6.1, p21)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tags:

  2. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Tony Raven:

    Haven't we seen this before, or am I deja-vu-ing?

    [Later: yes, we have, and here it is - http://tinyurl.com/e9loe ]

    > Yet for Scottish cyclists in general 65% never wear a helmet and only
    > 23% wear a helmet on all or most trips. So ~ 23% of the (helmet
    > wearing) population account for ~40% of injuries.

    But there are so many confounders! - the figure you quote above may
    imply nothing more than that off-roaders are more likely to have
    accidents.

    IIRC and from a *very* quick glance, the proper conclusions to draw
    were:

    cycling is pretty safe

    cycling on roads is safer than cycling off-road

    helmets can prevent minor injuries [by far the top three types of head
    and neck injuries reported are abrasions, contusions, and lacerations]

    helmet-wearing is associated with limb injuries [a slight positive
    correlation, but there are plenty of confounders]

    helmets don't make much difference to the severity of injuries [ditto]

    the writers of the report take for granted the efficacy of helmets,
    which is not supported by their data.

    --
    Mark, UK
    "History teaches us that whenever a weak and ignorant people possess a

  3. John

    John Guest

    "Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > But there are so many confounders! - the figure you quote above may
    > imply nothing more than that off-roaders are more likely to have
    > accidents.

    You clearly don't understand statistics in the urc world.

    > IIRC and from a *very* quick glance, the proper conclusions to draw
    > were:

    Ah, proper conclusions!, you're getting into the spirit of things. ;o)

  4. Gareth Rees

    Gareth Rees Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Publication by the Scottish Executive
    > http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/55971/0015829.pdf
    >
    > 39% of injured cyclists reported they were wearing a helmet at the time
    > of their accident.
    >
    > Yet for Scottish cyclists in general 65% never wear a helmet and only
    > 23% wear a helmet on all or most trips. So ~ 23% of the (helmet
    > wearing) population account for ~40% of injuries.

    Or else some injured helmetless cyclists are lying.

    --
    Gareth Rees

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Gareth Rees
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> Publication by the Scottish Executive
    >> http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/55971/0015829.pdf
    >>
    >> 39% of injured cyclists reported they were wearing a helmet at the
    >> time of their accident.
    >>
    >> Yet for Scottish cyclists in general 65% never wear a helmet and only
    >> 23% wear a helmet on all or most trips. So ~ 23% of the (helmet
    >> wearing) population account for ~40% of injuries.

    > Or else some injured helmetless cyclists are lying.

    It is, of course, entirely possible that the average helmetted cyclist
    cycles more miles than the average unhelmetted cyclist. Without data on
    that you cannot say whether cycling with/without a helmet is more
    dangerous per unit distance, which seems to me the interesting issue.