More distance per Calorie: Walk vrs Granny Gear Uphill?

On Sep 16, 8:24 pm, CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> I didnt really misunderstand the OP, more I was trying to drag more
> out of it than originally was asked lol. The route is off-road and
> fairly hilly but not very hilly.

Well, soft ground certainly handicaps a cyclist more than a walker, so
maybe it's not such a completely unreasonable idea after all (but if
it's soft enough to matter, it will probably be very slippery and not
much fun for cycling).

When (very rarely rarely) out jogging with a slower companion, I
sometimes do a few extra detours to top up my exercise level.

James

In article <[email protected]>,
Artemisia <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> But there's used to
>> be a 7-Eleven up there, just across from the KFC,
>> that's been one of my luckiest Lotto 6/49 sources.

> So like a Sagittarian to be lucky at Lotto!

I don't play it that often, and I've never "won"
more than $12. My luck manifests more in my being
able to occasionally royally screw-up, and yet have
people nevertheless still liking me.

I refuse to play poker. Poker isn't a sporting game,
it's a war -- the objective is to deprive your opponent
of what he has. Poker is too mean & cruel for me.

Sometimes I find $20 bills lying around. Canadian $20
bills are almost the same colour as grass. A Canadian
$20 bill lying on grass is easily overlooked by the
untrained eye. In the past I've lost $20 bills.
Sometimes I give my spare $20 bills to people sleeping
on bus stop benches; people who obviously travelled to/
ended-up here from Alberta or Ontario by whatever means,
because they were predilected to do so, and they're
compelled to follow their Lines of Destiny.

I guess it's more quismut than luck. What comes around,
goes around.

I figure society is a flowing current. Sometimes our belongings
get carried away by the current, and sometimes stuff
floats by in reaching distance. And sometimes stuff
floats by, just out of reach. Like those MegaRange
freewheels. Oh, well. At least the 14-28 HyperGlides
are easy to set up the shifting for, and I can get by
with 'em.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

In uk.rec.cycling CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 6 Sep, 18:09, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Peter Clinch wrote:
>>
>> > I recall one incident when a pal and I were taking our MTBs up a fairly
>> > steep grassy field. I got bored at walking pace, and decided I'd walk.
>> > While walking, I soon overtook my pal, still spinning happily in 1st...

>> So isn't it actually more efficient energy use to walk uphill than to
>> pedal, even if you do have unimaginably low gears and no topple-over on
>> a trike?
>>
>> I'm thinking perhaps the only advantage of trying to pedal up my hills
>> is the inconvenience of trying to stand up out of a recumbent...
>>
>> EFR
>> Ile de France

> Was there a conclusion to this thread? Did anyone find evidence that
> cycling at walking pace is in fact harder than walking at walking
> pace? I only ask as a friend with back problems ends up in severe pain
> trying to walk more a distance with his wife, but needs to do the same
> quantity of exercise - I was trying to work out if cycling next to his
> wife would pose the same energy/heart rate requirements etc and so be
> equally beneficial. I know cycling in a straight line is extremely
> easy in the granny ring at walking pace but then i dont find walking
> hard either so i cant judge, im sure that after 3 miles of granny-ring
> riding I'd be knackered lol.

I often have to cycle up long smooth steep hills while carrying a
heavy briefcase on which I'm uncomfortably over-exerted if I exceed
4-5mph for long. I also sometimes choose to walk the same route
carrying the same weight just for a change, and I suspect I can't
comfortably exceed 3mph on foot. It's certainly the case that when I'm
on foot I'm often overtaken by younger quicker walkers, whereas on the
bike I slowly but surely pass even the fastest walkers.

And of course when I'm on the bike I'm lifting its weight up the hill too!

One of those megarange granny gears greatly improved my comfort, and
slightly improved my speed, on those hills, because without it I
either struggled more slowly with an inefficiently slow cadence,
e.g. standing on the pedals, or I got off and pushed.

Incidentally, I can push the loaded bicycle up a hill a lot faster
then I could carry it, and can push it up hills carrying loads I'd
find it almost impossible to carry on my shoulders up hill. There's
clearly a saving in having the weight on wheels, regardless of how the
wheels are turned.

So my guess, based on these experiences, is that cycling up hill at a
walking speed in an appropriate gear is a bit easier than walking,
because the extra bicycle weight is more than swallowed by the wheel
effect, and the more weight you carry the bigger the
difference. Incidentally I weigh 130lbs.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sep 16, 8:24 pm, CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I didnt really misunderstand the OP, more I was trying to drag more
> > out of it than originally was asked lol. The route is off-road and
> > fairly hilly but not very hilly.

> Well, soft ground certainly handicaps a cyclist more than a walker, so
> maybe it's not such a completely unreasonable idea after all (but if
> it's soft enough to matter, it will probably be very slippery and not
> much fun for cycling).

if he has access to a mountain bike, with half decent tires that should
be okay, i'm assumeing parklands and such?

> When (very rarely rarely) out jogging with a slower companion, I
> sometimes do a few extra detours to top up my exercise level.
>
> James

roger

--
www.rogermerriman.com

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 6 Sep, 18:09, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Peter Clinch wrote:
> >
> > > I recall one incident when a pal and I were taking our MTBs up a fairly
> > > steep grassy field. I got bored at walking pace, and decided I'd walk.
> > > While walking, I soon overtook my pal, still spinning happily in 1st...

> > So isn't it actually more efficient energy use to walk uphill than to
> > pedal, even if you do have unimaginably low gears and no topple-over on
> > a trike?
> >
> > I'm thinking perhaps the only advantage of trying to pedal up my hills
> > is the inconvenience of trying to stand up out of a recumbent...
> >
> > EFR
> > Ile de France

> Was there a conclusion to this thread? Did anyone find evidence that
> cycling at walking pace is in fact harder than walking at walking
> pace? I only ask as a friend with back problems ends up in severe pain
> trying to walk more a distance with his wife, but needs to do the same
> quantity of exercise - I was trying to work out if cycling next to his
> wife would pose the same energy/heart rate requirements etc and so be
> equally beneficial. I know cycling in a straight line is extremely
> easy in the granny ring at walking pace but then i dont find walking
> hard either so i cant judge, im sure that after 3 miles of granny-ring
> riding I'd be knackered lol.

the other option is other forms of exersize that he could do, such as
swiming?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Tony Raven wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> In article <1i4kwv8.9l7cdw1x4tjf1N%[email protected]>, Roger
>> Merriman
>> [email protected] says...
>>
>>> the other option is other forms of exersize that he could do, such as
>>> swiming?
>>>

>> Fused neck = face underwater? :)

> Backstroke?

I swim a fair bit, and do the backstroke by preference ('cause I don't
need any talent to get the breathing right!), and while it was my first
thought here one does need to be aware that the swimmer will need to be
supporting their own head to some degree. Depending on the exact nature
of "fused neck" that /might/ be a problem and will need thought, but if
keeping any strain off isn't going to be an issue I'd think it's quite
possibly a goer.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

says...

> I swim a fair bit, and do the backstroke by preference ('cause I don't
> need any talent to get the breathing right!), and while it was my first
> thought here one does need to be aware that the swimmer will need to be
> supporting their own head to some degree. Depending on the exact nature
> of "fused neck" that /might/ be a problem and will need thought, but if
> keeping any strain off isn't going to be an issue I'd think it's quite
> possibly a goer.
>
> Pete.

If he can't support his head swimming backstroke then I doubt he could
support it either on all but the most upright posture bicycles.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven wrote:

> If he can't support his head swimming backstroke then I doubt he could
> support it either on all but the most upright posture bicycles.

probably, which is why I raised it. However, with a different position
and circumstances (more disadvantageous with respect to gravity being at
right angles, but OTOH some support from buoyancy) probably a
suck-it-and-see.

on a bike, even a bolt-upright one, you've got additional problems like
looking behind you to think about. Actually, could be a problem with
backstroke too, but pootling into a pool-side a bit less traumatic than
saying hello to a truck doing 30.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > If he can't support his head swimming backstroke then I doubt he could
> > support it either on all but the most upright posture bicycles.

> probably, which is why I raised it. However, with a different position
> and circumstances (more disadvantageous with respect to gravity being at
> right angles, but OTOH some support from buoyancy) probably a
> suck-it-and-see.
>
> on a bike, even a bolt-upright one, you've got additional problems like
> looking behind you to think about. Actually, could be a problem with
> backstroke too, but pootling into a pool-side a bit less traumatic than
> saying hello to a truck doing 30.
>
> Pete.

if he's at that point some of the recumbands i see around bushy park
would be better.

and he would need mirrors etc to go on road safely, though for slow
pottle in park not such a issue. just keeping pace with walking wife?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman wrote:

> if he has access to a mountain bike, with half decent tires that should
> be okay, i'm assumeing parklands and such?
>
> roger

Well, bridle ways through fields. He would have access to full sus bike
and nice knobblies :)

Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
> >>

> > if he has access to a mountain bike, with half decent tires that should
> > be okay, i'm assumeing parklands and such?
> >
> > roger
> >

> Well, bridle ways through fields. He would have access to full sus bike
> and nice knobblies :)

sounds like he has good friend then!

roger
--