More Farcilities



P

Paul George

Guest
Note the clear view of left-turning traffic at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KTCy8FSZQ


Happily cycling along the A41 with a nice tailwind.
Is that a cycle facility I see on the opposite side of
a dual carriageway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9hZYKJudXA

I would really like to ask the designer exactly what
they expected cyclists to do when they got to the
end. The blue sigh says 'cycleway ends'.
Cross 5 lanes of traffic and go straight ahead from
a left-turn only lane perhaps?


And just round the corner to the right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ak67qfRWZg
 
T

TerryJ

Guest
and here is a cracker, Haldon forest near exeter.
I couldn't understand it at first , but apparently it's a real cycle
facility, which can make your journey safer along the A38.
When he discovered this state of the art cycle lane he had his 4year
old daughter on the back.I hope she was wearing a h...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2t1qae6TnI

TerryJ
 
S

Simon Proven

Guest
On Jun 3, 1:52 pm, TerryJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> and here is a cracker, Haldon forest near exeter.
> I couldn't understand it at first , but apparently it's a real cycle
> facility, which can make your journey safer along the A38.
> When he discovered this state of the art cycle lane he had his 4year
> old daughter on the back.I hope she was wearing a h...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2t1qae6TnI
>
> TerryJ


Any idea why he chose to ride the wrong way up the side of a dual
carriageway?
 
F

fred2

Guest
"Simon Proven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Jun 3, 1:52 pm, TerryJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>> and here is a cracker, Haldon forest near exeter.
>> I couldn't understand it at first , but apparently it's a real cycle
>> facility, which can make your journey safer along the A38.
>> When he discovered this state of the art cycle lane he had his 4year
>> old daughter on the back.I hope she was wearing a h...
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2t1qae6TnI
>>
>> TerryJ

>
> Any idea why he chose to ride the wrong way up the side of a dual
> carriageway?
>

We've got one of those, you got no option but to face the traffic. A cliff
on one side and fast traffic on the other. The route is between Conway and
Penmaenmawr - it is terrifying!
Even our Chief Constable (dare I mention his name? Clue: starts with a B.
and is listed on no.10 petitions! ) cycled it with his son once and promised
to get something done about it , according to his Blog site - but that was
some time ago - and nothing has happened.
Fred
 
P

Paul George

Guest
On 3 Jun, 16:53, Simon Proven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Any idea why he chose to ride the wrong way up the side of a dual
> carriageway?


I got the impression that if you take the cycleway signs out of
Haldon forest literally you are instructed to do exactly that.
Having said that it is fairly obvious it was never intended
to be a contra-flow lane.
Anyone know if there is a parallel path on the opposite
carriageway?
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, TerryJ
('[email protected]') wrote:

> and here is a cracker, Haldon forest near exeter.
> I couldn't understand it at first , but apparently it's a real cycle
> facility, which can make your journey safer along the A38.
> When he discovered this state of the art cycle lane he had his 4year
> old daughter on the back.I hope she was wearing a h...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2t1qae6TnI


That is /terrifying/!

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; my other religion is Emacs
 
N

naked_draughtsman

Guest
"fred2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We've got one of those, you got no option but to face the traffic. A cliff
> on one side and fast traffic on the other. The route is between Conway and
> Penmaenmawr - it is terrifying!
> Even our Chief Constable (dare I mention his name? Clue: starts with a B.
> and is listed on no.10 petitions! ) cycled it with his son once and
> promised to get something done about it , according to his Blog site - but
> that was some time ago - and nothing has happened.


Do you mean the bit between Conwy and the tunnels where there's no crash
barrier between you and the road? I've never had a problem with that bit
and there is a wide shoulder between the cycle path and the inside lane.
Due to the narrowness, the problem comes when you meet a cyclist coming the
other way or worse, a couple of pedestrians.
I find the bits with the barrier much better and reassuring but you have to
get out of your mind how much those things are designed to deflect when a
car hits them. Interestingly, this part always used to have signs saying
"Pedestrians and dismounted cyclists" which implied you were supposed to
walk your bike for half a mile along a national cycle route!
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me
 
N

naked_draughtsman

Guest
I found a good one today:
There was a signed cycle route which avoided a semi busy expressway junction
by going under the dual carriageway a bit further up. The underpass is
actually several box culverts bridging old, water filled gravel pits and the
one that the cycle lane goes through seems to be the emergency overflow as
it was under water and the pedestrian side was covered in a layer of silt
from the water.

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me
 
T

TerryJ

Guest

> it was under water and the pedestrian side was covered in a layer of silt
> from the water.
>


Can you say where so we can lok at a map?
Terry
 
N

naked_draughtsman

Guest
"TerryJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
>> it was under water and the pedestrian side was covered in a layer of silt
>> from the water.
>>

>
> Can you say where so we can lok at a map?


SK450294 ish. I don't know of any mapping sites using OS maps that let you
direct link to that grid reference but www.getamap.co.uk will let you type
it in.

The OS Explorer maps show it as cycle route 15 although it didn't say this
on the signs. It's a bit of a cut through from Shardlow to Castle
Donnington - not much shorter but cuts out a bit of an uphill!
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me
 
T

TerryJ

Guest

>
> >> it was under water and the pedestrian side was covered in a layer of silt
> >> from the water.

> on the signs. It's a bit of a cut through from Shardlow to Castle
> Donnington - not much shorter but cuts out a bit of an uphill!



I usually take the first right after the river, but this sounds like a
bit of fun for next time.

TerryJ
 
N

naked_draughtsman

Guest
"TerryJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
>>
>> >> it was under water and the pedestrian side was covered in a layer of
>> >> silt
>> >> from the water.

>> on the signs. It's a bit of a cut through from Shardlow to Castle
>> Donnington - not much shorter but cuts out a bit of an uphill!

>
>
> I usually take the first right after the river, but this sounds like a
> bit of fun for next time.


I was going to go that way but thought the cycle route might be a bit more
interesting. I wasn't disappointed!

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me
 
J

Josey

Guest
"Simon Proven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Any idea why he chose to ride the wrong way up the side of a dual
> carriageway?
>
>


Exactly my thoughts. At time interval 1:06 you can see he is going onto a
path against the giveway sign. Also the path is not wide enough to be a two
way cycle lane. Maybe the issue here is the signs were wrong, but no council
could have possibly intended a cyclist to take that route, could they?

Jc.
 
T

TerryJ

Guest

> way cycle lane. Maybe the issue here is the signs were wrong, but no council
> could have possibly intended a cyclist to take that route, could they?
>
> Jc.


But cycling with the traffic flow would be more dangerous, not less,
since against the flow you at least have some warning of what's coming
at you.
TJ
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, TerryJ
('[email protected]') wrote:

>
>> way cycle lane. Maybe the issue here is the signs were wrong, but no
>> council could have possibly intended a cyclist to take that route, could
>> they?

>
> But cycling with the traffic flow would be more dangerous, not less,
> since against the flow you at least have some warning of what's coming
> at you.


No, that's a fallacy. Cycling on a cycle lane in the direction contrary to
motorised traffic in an adjacent lane is about 300% more dangerous than
cycling in same direction. Rear-ending or a bike by a motor vehicle is,
despite Brendan's horrible experience early this week, thankfully rare.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.
 
T

TerryJ

Guest

> > But cycling with the traffic flow would be more dangerous, not less,


>
> No, that's a fallacy. Cycling on a cycle lane in the direction contrary to
> motorised traffic in an adjacent lane is about 300% more dangerous than
> cycling in same direction. Rear-ending or a bike by a motor vehicle is,
> despite Brendan's horrible experience early this week, thankfully rare.


I do not know what is being compared there, but in this case the rider
has to dodge out into the road on a few occasions, and much of the
time the path is far too narrow.
I would not fancy going either way, but any statistics there might be
are probably affected by the question of who , in what mental
condition, would cycle along that road as it is at all .
I am not so sure that getting rear ended on that sort of dual
carriageway is actually rare among the few cyclists who might use it.I
remember one good cyclist Needham got it on the A50 in recent years
then there was the racer in Yorkshire who the magistrate said was 'not
there to be seen'( well, they didn't see him) and Zak Carr.
Anyway, I have seen enough of that cyclepath whichever direction.

TerryJ
TerryJ
 
A

Alistair Gunn

Guest
I saw this wonderful creation this morning and just had to take a photo
of it. http://www.spod.org/~allyg/farcility-0001.jpg They've just spent
quite a bit of time (and presumably therefore, money) remodelling that
junction and I'm at a loss to explain quite what they where trying to
achieve?
--
These opinions might not even be mine ...
Let alone connected with my employer ...
 
N

nickd

Guest
"Alistair Gunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I saw this wonderful creation this morning and just had to take a photo
> of it. http://www.spod.org/~allyg/farcility-0001.jpg They've just spent
> quite a bit of time (and presumably therefore, money) remodelling that
> junction and I'm at a loss to explain quite what they where trying to
> achieve?


They were trying to spend some money, and succeeded. Presumably they need to
spend their budget to justify it etc.

--
Nickyd