More fun with stupid drivers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Russell, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
    seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or what
    lay ahead.

    Well I nearly did another today. Coming down the last bit of Portsdown hill, in the wet, in a 30
    limit, probably doing about 32ish with slight tailwind. Old lady driver comes up alongside me and
    stays there the whole time while I go round the sharpish bend that you really wouldn't want to drive
    around at much more than 30 anyway. I'm using all my side of the road, she's on the wrong side!
    Fortunatley nothing was coming. 20secs later she had to wait at the traffic lights. I pointed out
    sarcasticly that its was a good job nothing was coming the other way or she might have caused a
    crash! She smiled and nodded sheepishly.

    baaaaa.

    Russell

    Tags:

  2. "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
    > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
    > what lay ahead.

    I often get cars start to overtake gradually, only to have to either drop back or drop a gear and
    floor it past (all in a 30 limit of course)!

  3. "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
    > > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
    > > what lay ahead.
    >
    > I often get cars start to overtake gradually, only to have to either drop
    back or
    > drop a gear and floor it past (all in a 30 limit of course)!

    Just had a driver overtake me on my homeward commute: she overtook, then braked sharply, forcing me
    to stop, because she couldn't get past the parked cars while there was traffic coming the other way.
    Anticipation? Ho Ho.

    Cheers

    Rich

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:

    > Just had a driver overtake me on my homeward commute: she overtook, then braked sharply, forcing
    > me to stop, because she couldn't get past the parked cars while there was traffic coming the other
    > way. Anticipation? Ho Ho.

    Lots of people overtook me this morning. Some of their journeys were so vitally important that they
    couldn't possibly slow down or wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic before overtaking, so they
    overtook at full speed and, in at least one case, with inches to spare.

    Strangely they were all in exactly the same order when I went past them in the half-mile traffic jam
    which is Henley...

    Clueless tossers I can live with. Selfish clueless tossers are a different matter.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Strangely they were all in exactly the same order when I went past them in the half-mile traffic
    > jam which is Henley...

    Cycling from home into Cambridge in the morning - about 10 miles - I would have cars overtake me on
    the A10 then about 20 mins later I would overtake them sat in the queue on the outskirts of
    Cambridge. Always satisfying.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  6. I also cycle up and down Portsdown hill every day, but turn off at Chalkridge. Don't those roadworks
    that have been going on for almost the past year p**s you off? "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
    > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
    > what lay ahead.
    >
    > Well I nearly did another today. Coming down the last bit of Portsdown hill, in the wet, in a 30
    > limit, probably doing about 32ish with slight tailwind. Old lady driver comes up alongside me and
    > stays there the whole time while I go round the sharpish bend that you really wouldn't want to
    > drive around at much more than 30 anyway. I'm using all my side of the road, she's on the wrong
    > side! Fortunatley nothing was coming. 20secs later she had to wait at the traffic lights. I
    > pointed out sarcasticly that its was a good job nothing was coming the other way or she might have
    > caused a crash! She smiled and nodded sheepishly.
    >
    > baaaaa.
    >
    > Russell

  7. Hi!

    There is a website www.roadrage.co.uk that has a message board which is supposed to be for letting
    off steam by posting reports of bad driving. But it has been taken over by a bunch of foul-mouthed
    petrolheads who are into bragging about speeding and insulting women drivers, elderly drivers,
    greens and each other.

    Might be fun for the anti-car lobby to get a presence in there too! It's all free and anonymous! Why
    not have a look.

    Cheers, old Rollerball!

  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > The only surprising thing is that I can still be amazed at some motorists antics.

    Is it just the normal surprise that each village has more than one? I'm sure there must be some sort
    of European legislation against it.

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The only surprising thing is that I can still be amazed at some motorists antics.

    You can amaze some of the people all of the time ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  10. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Just why is anyone voluntarily on the road in the middle of the
    afternoon?

    > School run? Rain started to come down in a thick-misty form in London tonight. What
    is
    > it about this that turns normally decent drivers into lunatics and
    normally
    > poor drivers into homocidal lunatics?

    I had the tedious task of picking my brother up from Stansted the other weekend. I haven't driven a
    car in 4 months, and found myself trundling rather than racing (a bit of a trait in the past). Nice
    to hand him the keys back. :)

    Maybe I should have put a caravan on the car next time? I swear i'm turning into some sort of old
    man with panniers on my bike and all .... :(

  11. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    > Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Strangely they were all in exactly the same order when I went past them
    in
    > > the half-mile traffic jam which is Henley...
    > >

    > Cycling from home into Cambridge in the morning - about 10 miles - I would have cars overtake me
    > on the A10 then about 20 mins later I would overtake them sat in the queue on the outskirts of
    > Cambridge. Always satisfying.
    >
    > Tony

    Yes even more so if they really accerate past you in a flash car. I just smile to myself and think
    "Where are you going?" which is also my standard response if someone in a car hoots or tells me to
    get out of the way. They can only go as far as the next traffic jam. It all seems so pointless, all
    that anger, aggression and bursts of speed, and yet they never learn.

  12. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
    > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
    > what lay ahead.

    There's been some discussion regarding cars passing too close since the story of the lad who was
    knocked off by a grandmother and killed.

    As a leisure rider (can pick and choose time and route) what I find is that most motorists give me
    ample room but this is often at the expense of oncoming vehicles. I've witnessed much flashing of
    lights, sounding of hooters and in one case an oncoming bus forced onto the grass verge.

    The only surprising thing is that I can still be amazed at some motorists antics.

    Pete

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:54:09 -0000, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes even more so if they really accerate past you in a flash car. I just smile to myself and think
    >"Where are you going?" which is also my standard response if someone in a car hoots or tells me to
    >get out of the way

    I usually wave back, as if acknowledging a friendly greeting :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  14. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I also cycle up and down Portsdown hill every day, but turn off at Chalkridge. Don't those
    > roadworks that have been going on for almost the past year p**s you off? "Russell"
    > > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
    > > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
    > > what lay ahead.
    > >
    > > Well I nearly did another today. Coming down the last bit of Portsdown hill, in the wet, in a 30
    > > limit, probably doing about 32ish with slight tailwind. Old lady driver comes up alongside me
    > > and stays there the whole time while I go round the sharpish bend that you really wouldn't want
    > > to drive around at much more than 30 anyway. I'm using all my side of the road, she's on the
    > > wrong side! Fortunatley nothing was coming. 20secs later she had to wait at the traffic lights.
    > > I pointed out sarcasticly that its was a good job nothing was coming the other way or she might
    > > have caused a crash! She smiled and nodded sheepishly.
    > >
    > > baaaaa.
    > >
    > > Russell

    I can't say I've noticed them, but this is the first time I've commuted over the hill for a while as
    I hate it in the dark so I've been sticking to the old A27.

    Oh and on a different topic. 3 guesses as to the only vehicle that tried really hard to wipe me out
    tonight on my 27 mile commute home?

    yup, a Range Rover.

  15. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:54:09 -0000, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes even more so if they really accerate past you in a flash car. I just smile to myself and
    > >think "Where are you going?" which is also my
    standard
    > >response if someone in a car hoots or tells me to get out of the way
    >
    > I usually wave back, as if acknowledging a friendly greeting :)

    excellent tactic, the inappropriate response. Usually works v. well with cagers, as they're not
    bright enough to work out that you didn't really mean
    it.

    Cheers

    Rich

    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  16. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 11 Feb 2003 04:40:27 -0800, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:

    >Well I nearly did another today.

    Hi Russell

    Today, I had a rather similar one myself. I was going through an "S-bend" (right then left) that I
    know quite well. I always keep towads the middle of "my" lane specifically to prevent cars
    overtaking me and possibly putting themselves and others coming in the opposite direction in danger.

    Anyway, one car decided to overtake me anyway. And, you've guessed it, there was another vehicle
    coming towards us. Fortunately, the only problem was lots of horn honking and swearing at me and
    each other. The car that overtook me happened to stop near the same set of shops I was on my way to
    so I explained why I did my blocking manoeuvre. The driver did calm down once she'd understood the
    reason for my actions.

    I was not dawdling at the time but neither was I going particularly fast. At a rough guess, I was
    moving at about 15mph.

    >She smiled and nodded sheepishly.

    Good grace, eh? I've heard of that. Nice to see that there are still some nice peeps around.

    >baaaaa.

    Oink.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  17. Russell

    Russell Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 11 Feb 2003 04:40:27 -0800, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:
    >
    > >Well I nearly did another today.
    > >

    > Hi Russell
    >
    > Today, I had a rather similar one myself. I was going through an "S-bend" (right then left)
    > that I know quite well. I always keep towads the middle of "my" lane specifically to prevent
    > cars overtaking me and possibly putting themselves and others coming in the opposite direction
    > in danger.
    >
    > Anyway, one car decided to overtake me anyway. And, you've guessed it, there was another vehicle
    > coming towards us. Fortunately, the only problem was lots of horn honking and swearing at me and
    > each other. The car that overtook me happened to stop near the same set of shops I was on my way
    > to so I explained why I did my blocking manoeuvre. The driver did calm down once she'd understood
    > the reason for my actions.
    >
    > I was not dawdling at the time but neither was I going particularly fast. At a rough guess, I was
    > moving at about 15mph.
    >
    > >She smiled and nodded sheepishly.
    > >
    > Good grace, eh? I've heard of that. Nice to see that there are still some nice peeps around.
    >
    > >baaaaa.
    > >
    > Oink.
    >
    > James
    >
    > --
    > A credit limit is NOT a target.

    Hi James, well done for confronting a driver out of its cage! I'm embarrassed to admit possibly the
    worst thing I have done after being carved up by an idiot in a tow truck was to catch him up going
    slowly down the middle of an urban dual carriageway, empty the not insignificant contents of nose,
    into my mouth and expel it through the driver's window, then peddle of at great speed hoping the
    traffic didn't get moving before I reached the safe haven of the work bike sheds.

    I still can't believe I did that. Ugh!

    Has anyone else got anything they'd like to seek forgiveness for?

    Russell

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:51:03 -0000, "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi James, well done for confronting a driver out of its cage! I'm embarrassed to admit possibly the
    >worst thing I have done after being carved up by an idiot in a tow truck was to catch him up going
    >slowly down the middle of an urban dual carriageway, empty the not insignificant contents of nose,
    >into my mouth and expel it through the driver's window, then peddle of at great speed hoping the
    >traffic didn't get moving before I reached the safe haven of the work bike sheds.
    >
    >I still can't believe I did that. Ugh!

    Well, Russell, we are regularly told that to be green is akin to Godliness. You were just obeying
    the government's spin ... weren't you?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  19. ecce_ecce

    ecce_ecce New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    Apparently I should be seeking forgiveness for my behaviour in the messages I posted under Arguing with Cagers

    I don't want forgiveness, as if someone YOU knew got killed by some wreckless driver getting too close causing multiple fractures of the skull and huge internal bleeding - I'm sure
    "you" would react in the same way.

    I shall be trying the "Nose blowing" technique in my next skirmish.

    Nice one Russell