More fun with stupid drivers

Russell

Guest
You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or what
lay ahead.

Well I nearly did another today. Coming down the last bit of Portsdown hill, in the wet, in a 30
limit, probably doing about 32ish with slight tailwind. Old lady driver comes up alongside me and
stays there the whole time while I go round the sharpish bend that you really wouldn't want to drive
around at much more than 30 anyway. I'm using all my side of the road, she's on the wrong side!
Fortunatley nothing was coming. 20secs later she had to wait at the traffic lights. I pointed out
sarcasticly that its was a good job nothing was coming the other way or she might have caused a
crash! She smiled and nodded sheepishly.

baaaaa.

Russell

"Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
> seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
> what lay ahead.

I often get cars start to overtake gradually, only to have to either drop back or drop a gear and
floor it past (all in a 30 limit of course)!

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
> > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
> > what lay ahead.
>
> I often get cars start to overtake gradually, only to have to either drop
back or
> drop a gear and floor it past (all in a 30 limit of course)!

Just had a driver overtake me on my homeward commute: she overtook, then braked sharply, forcing me
to stop, because she couldn't get past the parked cars while there was traffic coming the other way.
Anticipation? Ho Ho.

Cheers

Rich

Richard Burton wrote:

> Just had a driver overtake me on my homeward commute: she overtook, then braked sharply, forcing
> me to stop, because she couldn't get past the parked cars while there was traffic coming the other
> way. Anticipation? Ho Ho.

Lots of people overtook me this morning. Some of their journeys were so vitally important that they
couldn't possibly slow down or wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic before overtaking, so they
overtook at full speed and, in at least one case, with inches to spare.

Strangely they were all in exactly the same order when I went past them in the half-mile traffic jam
which is Henley...

Clueless tossers I can live with. Selfish clueless tossers are a different matter.

--
Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Strangely they were all in exactly the same order when I went past them in the half-mile traffic
> jam which is Henley...

Cycling from home into Cambridge in the morning - about 10 miles - I would have cars overtake me on
the A10 then about 20 mins later I would overtake them sat in the queue on the outskirts of
Cambridge. Always satisfying.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

I also cycle up and down Portsdown hill every day, but turn off at Chalkridge. Don't those roadworks
that have been going on for almost the past year p**s you off? "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
> seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
> what lay ahead.
>
> Well I nearly did another today. Coming down the last bit of Portsdown hill, in the wet, in a 30
> limit, probably doing about 32ish with slight tailwind. Old lady driver comes up alongside me and
> stays there the whole time while I go round the sharpish bend that you really wouldn't want to
> drive around at much more than 30 anyway. I'm using all my side of the road, she's on the wrong
> side! Fortunatley nothing was coming. 20secs later she had to wait at the traffic lights. I
> pointed out sarcasticly that its was a good job nothing was coming the other way or she might have
> caused a crash! She smiled and nodded sheepishly.
>
> baaaaa.
>
> Russell

Hi!

There is a website www.roadrage.co.uk that has a message board which is supposed to be for letting
off steam by posting reports of bad driving. But it has been taken over by a bunch of foul-mouthed
petrolheads who are into bragging about speeding and insulting women drivers, elderly drivers,
greens and each other.

Might be fun for the anti-car lobby to get a presence in there too! It's all free and anonymous! Why
not have a look.

Cheers, old Rollerball!

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
> The only surprising thing is that I can still be amazed at some motorists antics.

Is it just the normal surprise that each village has more than one? I'm sure there must be some sort
of European legislation against it.

Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only surprising thing is that I can still be amazed at some motorists antics.

You can amaze some of the people all of the time ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

"Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Just why is anyone voluntarily on the road in the middle of the
afternoon?

> School run? Rain started to come down in a thick-misty form in London tonight. What
is
> it about this that turns normally decent drivers into lunatics and
normally
> poor drivers into homocidal lunatics?

I had the tedious task of picking my brother up from Stansted the other weekend. I haven't driven a
car in 4 months, and found myself trundling rather than racing (a bit of a trait in the past). Nice
to hand him the keys back. :)

Maybe I should have put a caravan on the car next time? I swear i'm turning into some sort of old
man with panniers on my bike and all .... :(

> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Strangely they were all in exactly the same order when I went past them
in
> > the half-mile traffic jam which is Henley...
> >

> Cycling from home into Cambridge in the morning - about 10 miles - I would have cars overtake me
> on the A10 then about 20 mins later I would overtake them sat in the queue on the outskirts of
> Cambridge. Always satisfying.
>
> Tony

Yes even more so if they really accerate past you in a flash car. I just smile to myself and think
"Where are you going?" which is also my standard response if someone in a car hoots or tells me to
get out of the way. They can only go as far as the next traffic jam. It all seems so pointless, all
that anger, aggression and bursts of speed, and yet they never learn.

"Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
> seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
> what lay ahead.

There's been some discussion regarding cars passing too close since the story of the lad who was
knocked off by a grandmother and killed.

As a leisure rider (can pick and choose time and route) what I find is that most motorists give me
ample room but this is often at the expense of oncoming vehicles. I've witnessed much flashing of
lights, sounding of hooters and in one case an oncoming bus forced onto the grass verge.

The only surprising thing is that I can still be amazed at some motorists antics.

Pete

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:54:09 -0000, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes even more so if they really accerate past you in a flash car. I just smile to myself and think
>"Where are you going?" which is also my standard response if someone in a car hoots or tells me to
>get out of the way

I usually wave back, as if acknowledging a friendly greeting :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I also cycle up and down Portsdown hill every day, but turn off at Chalkridge. Don't those
> roadworks that have been going on for almost the past year p**s you off? "Russell"
> > You may remember my post of a few weeks back where I *sort of* forced two cars to collide (not
> > seriously) because they were both so intent on passing me no matter what speed I was doing, or
> > what lay ahead.
> >
> > Well I nearly did another today. Coming down the last bit of Portsdown hill, in the wet, in a 30
> > limit, probably doing about 32ish with slight tailwind. Old lady driver comes up alongside me
> > and stays there the whole time while I go round the sharpish bend that you really wouldn't want
> > to drive around at much more than 30 anyway. I'm using all my side of the road, she's on the
> > wrong side! Fortunatley nothing was coming. 20secs later she had to wait at the traffic lights.
> > I pointed out sarcasticly that its was a good job nothing was coming the other way or she might
> > have caused a crash! She smiled and nodded sheepishly.
> >
> > baaaaa.
> >
> > Russell

I can't say I've noticed them, but this is the first time I've commuted over the hill for a while as
I hate it in the dark so I've been sticking to the old A27.

Oh and on a different topic. 3 guesses as to the only vehicle that tried really hard to wipe me out
tonight on my 27 mile commute home?

yup, a Range Rover.

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:54:09 -0000, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Yes even more so if they really accerate past you in a flash car. I just smile to myself and
> >think "Where are you going?" which is also my
standard
> >response if someone in a car hoots or tells me to get out of the way
>
> I usually wave back, as if acknowledging a friendly greeting :)

excellent tactic, the inappropriate response. Usually works v. well with cagers, as they're not
bright enough to work out that you didn't really mean
it.

Cheers

Rich

On 11 Feb 2003 04:40:27 -0800, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:

>Well I nearly did another today.

Hi Russell

Today, I had a rather similar one myself. I was going through an "S-bend" (right then left) that I
know quite well. I always keep towads the middle of "my" lane specifically to prevent cars
overtaking me and possibly putting themselves and others coming in the opposite direction in danger.

Anyway, one car decided to overtake me anyway. And, you've guessed it, there was another vehicle
coming towards us. Fortunately, the only problem was lots of horn honking and swearing at me and
each other. The car that overtook me happened to stop near the same set of shops I was on my way to
so I explained why I did my blocking manoeuvre. The driver did calm down once she'd understood the
reason for my actions.

I was not dawdling at the time but neither was I going particularly fast. At a rough guess, I was
moving at about 15mph.

>She smiled and nodded sheepishly.

Good grace, eh? I've heard of that. Nice to see that there are still some nice peeps around.

>baaaaa.

Oink.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 11 Feb 2003 04:40:27 -0800, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:
>
> >Well I nearly did another today.
> >

> Hi Russell
>
> Today, I had a rather similar one myself. I was going through an "S-bend" (right then left)
> that I know quite well. I always keep towads the middle of "my" lane specifically to prevent
> cars overtaking me and possibly putting themselves and others coming in the opposite direction
> in danger.
>
> Anyway, one car decided to overtake me anyway. And, you've guessed it, there was another vehicle
> coming towards us. Fortunately, the only problem was lots of horn honking and swearing at me and
> each other. The car that overtook me happened to stop near the same set of shops I was on my way
> to so I explained why I did my blocking manoeuvre. The driver did calm down once she'd understood
> the reason for my actions.
>
> I was not dawdling at the time but neither was I going particularly fast. At a rough guess, I was
> moving at about 15mph.
>
> >She smiled and nodded sheepishly.
> >
> Good grace, eh? I've heard of that. Nice to see that there are still some nice peeps around.
>
> >baaaaa.
> >
> Oink.
>
> James
>
> --
> A credit limit is NOT a target.

Hi James, well done for confronting a driver out of its cage! I'm embarrassed to admit possibly the
worst thing I have done after being carved up by an idiot in a tow truck was to catch him up going
slowly down the middle of an urban dual carriageway, empty the not insignificant contents of nose,
into my mouth and expel it through the driver's window, then peddle of at great speed hoping the
traffic didn't get moving before I reached the safe haven of the work bike sheds.

I still can't believe I did that. Ugh!

Has anyone else got anything they'd like to seek forgiveness for?

Russell

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:51:03 -0000, "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi James, well done for confronting a driver out of its cage! I'm embarrassed to admit possibly the
>worst thing I have done after being carved up by an idiot in a tow truck was to catch him up going
>slowly down the middle of an urban dual carriageway, empty the not insignificant contents of nose,
>into my mouth and expel it through the driver's window, then peddle of at great speed hoping the
>traffic didn't get moving before I reached the safe haven of the work bike sheds.
>
>I still can't believe I did that. Ugh!

Well, Russell, we are regularly told that to be green is akin to Godliness. You were just obeying
the government's spin ... weren't you?

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Apparently I should be seeking forgiveness for my behaviour in the messages I posted under Arguing with Cagers

I don't want forgiveness, as if someone YOU knew got killed by some wreckless driver getting too close causing multiple fractures of the skull and huge internal bleeding - I'm sure
"you" would react in the same way.

I shall be trying the "Nose blowing" technique in my next skirmish.

Nice one Russell