More h*l*e* ********

Richard Burton

Guest
The following article appeared in today's Times. There is a very small reward for anyone spotting
the similarities between this article and the DfT's campaign about helmets. And I mean small!

"June 19, 2003

Boys snub uncool cycle helmets By Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent

TEENAGE boys are risking their lives by refusing to wear cycle helmets because they
consider them "uncool", a study has found.

The use of cycle helmets has risen among every other section of the population in the
past eight years but has fallen from 16 per cent to 12 per cent among teenage boys,
according to Department for Transport figures.

Boy cyclists are five times more likely than girls to have serious accidents but only
half as likely to wear a helmet.

Three child safety charities have now joined forces to call on the Government to make
helmets compulsory for children under 16. The Child Brain Injury Trust, Headway and the
Bicycle Helmet Initiative believe that teenage boys will be persuaded to wear helmets
only if a new law is passed.

Angela Lee, the chief executive of the Bicycle Helmet Initiative, said: "Teenage boys
are under tremendous peer pressure not to wear helmets in case their friends laugh at
them. If there was a new law obliging them to wear a helmet, then they would no longer
need to justify themselves."

One child under the age of 16 dies every week in Britain of head injuries suffered in a
cycling accident. A further 60 suffer serious head injuries. Children under 16 account
for half of all cyclist head injuries.

Studies have shown that at least 75 per cent of head in- juries would be prevented if
the cyclist were wearing a helmet. But cycling groups say that forcing people to wear
helmets would make them less likely to cycle and undermine efforts to get people out of
their cars and on to bikes. Cycling fell by 40 per cent among children in Australian
states in the early 1990s after helmets became compulsory.

David Jamieson, the Road Safety Minister, said that he was reluctant to consider a new
law on cycle helmets because it would be difficult to enforce. "It is very worrrying
that only one in eight boys wears a helmet, but a new law would criminalise a lot of
people for going about their everyday activity," he said."

anyone wishing to reply to this garbage may do so by emailing [email protected] .
for the record, most of the claims made by BHIT and others in this article are
demonstrably untrue e.g.the claim that one child dies every week from head injuries
sustained whilst cycling, the actual figure from 2001 (latest available) is less than
half that. Why does anybody still believe anything those t*****rs say?

Richard Burton <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why does anybody still believe anything those t*****rs say?

Because they can manage sentences without using a mulitude of asterix?

"Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Boy cyclists are five times more likely than girls to have serious accidents but only
> half as likely to wear a helmet.

So, reduce the level off foolishness in boys instead and they'll only be
2.5x more likely.

What was the level of head injuries in the early 80's I can remember lots of broken collar bones,
and lots of people flying through the air in woods.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:39:36 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

My reply:

Sir,

I am tremendously encouraged by your report that teenage boys are risking their lives by refusing to
wear cycle helmets (Boys snub uncool cycle helmets, June 19, 2003).

Up until now the primary risks to teenage boys have been poor cycling skills, lack of conspicuity,
failure to use lights and of course the usual car drivers failing to cede right of way. That all
these primary causes of danger have now declined to the point that failure to wear helmets, which
makes a statistically insignificant difference to injury rates, is now the primary concern - well,
that is progress indeed.

Quite how making helmets compulsory for under-16s will help is a bit unclear, though - 90% of child
cycle accidents happen in play, generally on private land, so would not be covered by any
legislation.

One should of course be cautious in assessing statistics for cyclist head injuries - the category
"head injury" covers any injury to the head or face, including those parts not covered by a lid.
Studies have absolutely not shown that "at least 75 per cent of head injuries would be prevented if
the cyclist were wearing a helmet," unless you believe that in those same studies the helmet was
also responsible for a substantial reduction in lower limb injuries. These helmets can do marvellous
things, of course.

If the Road Safety Minister is reluctant to consider a law on cycle helmets because it would be
"difficult to enforce," then he has some serious reading to do. The reason for opposing helmet
legislation is that wherever it's been tried injury rates have stayed the same or risen, and cycling
has reduced.

If only people would focus on the primary issues, such as lack of a widely available accredited
training scheme, the apparent invisibility of cyclists to drivers even when wearing fluorescent
clothing, poor maintenance and so on - well, perhaps then we might see accidents reduced, instead of
trying to enforce a controversial and unproven remedy after the fact.

Guy
===

"Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The following article appeared in today's Times. There is a very small reward for
> anyone spotting the similarities between this
article
> and the DfT's campaign about helmets. And I mean small!

To validate the report to me they should list all the other circumstances that result in head
injuries, for instance walking, running, playground apparatus, parents cars in RTAs, pratting about
etc. Maybe adolescent males should wear helmets at all times. Maybe we all should, I'm forever
banging my noggin but when I got knocked off my bike I landed on my **** so maybe full body armour
should be compulsory for any activity not involving sofas or chairs and screens.

Pete

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:39:36 +0100 someone who may be "Richard Burton"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Why does anybody still believe anything those t*****rs say?

Are they still getting large amounts of our money? If so then they can afford to mount various
propaganda efforts.