More helmet promotion by the police

David Hansen

Guest
A generally sensible article on young drivers
articlehttp://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1310852006
is spoilt at the beginning and end by a police officer blaming the
victim yet again.

It is even implied that he believes that victims wearing the "right"
clothing will reduce deaths. If those are the views of the police
officer then he is even more deluded than most, as evidence that
cycle helmets reduce deaths is distinctly lacking.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen wrote:

> A generally sensible article on young drivers
> articlehttp://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1310852006
> is spoilt at the beginning and end by a police officer blaming the
> victim yet again.
>
> It is even implied that he believes that victims wearing the "right"
> clothing will reduce deaths. If those are the views of the police
> officer then he is even more deluded than most, as evidence that
> cycle helmets reduce deaths is distinctly lacking.

He could be right:
http://freespace.virgin.net/challenge.everythin/Wallpaper_Window.jpg

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

On 2006-09-06, BigRab <[email protected]> wrote:

> Eiron wrote:
>> David Hansen wrote:

>> He could be right:
>> http://freespace.virgin.net/challenge.everythin/Wallpaper_Window.jpg

> Is that a big joint he's smoking ????
> Robert.

I was seeing Newsnight last night, in which the man who is trying to
live a "green life" decided to buy a bike. Inevitably, he bought a
helmet as well. However, I was intrigued to see that the instructor who
supervised him as he first ventured out into the road jungle was NOT
wearing said fashion accessory, even when he was pictured leading a
gaggle of helmeted children looking like Conrad Lorenz with his flock of
goslings.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [email protected]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Anthony Campbell wrote on 07/09/2006 09:44 +0100:

> I was seeing Newsnight last night, in which the man who is trying to
> live a "green life" decided to buy a bike. Inevitably, he bought a
> helmet as well. However, I was intrigued to see that the instructor who
> supervised him as he first ventured out into the road jungle was NOT
> wearing said fashion accessory, even when he was pictured leading a
> gaggle of helmeted children looking like Conrad Lorenz with his flock of
> goslings.
>
> Anthony

A good positive piece. Like the way he bought himself a rather
pedestrian bike and then he kept doing skid stops on it. Obviously
re-discovering his cycling childhood.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci