more help w/ weight loss



J

Jojo

Guest
Hi all.. I need diet help and I'm turning again to
you.... starting weight 165 goal weight 145 5'-10" 42
years old (female)

First week: I did the southbeach and decided it was not
for me. ran/walked once about 3 miles (about 30 minutes)
lost 8 pounds

Week 2 I simply ate what I thought was good for me (except
for those candy bars) ran/walked 13 miles gained 2 pounds

This is the start of week 3. I have decided to count
calories. I am trying to factor how many calories I can have
each day. I went to a website to learn how to calculate it
all and I think I must restrict my intake to 1300 per day.
The website did not have very good feedback for amount of
exercise. 13 miles per week will be my average for a while,
running M, W, F and S.

So, is the calorie count correct? should I eat less on days
I don't run? I would like to lose 2 pounds per week.

Thanks for any feedback! jojo
 
P

Phil M.

Guest
"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi all.. I need diet help and I'm turning again to you....
> starting weight 165 goal weight 145 5'-10" 42 years old
> (female)
>
> First week: I did the southbeach and decided it was not
> for me. ran/walked once about 3 miles (about 30 minutes)
> lost 8 pounds
>
> Week 2 I simply ate what I thought was good for me (except
> for those candy bars) ran/walked 13 miles gained 2 pounds
>
> This is the start of week 3. I have decided to count
> calories. I am trying to factor how many calories I can
> have each day. I went to a website to learn how to
> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake to
> 1300 per day. The website did not have very good feedback
> for amount of exercise. 13 miles per week will be my
> average for a while, running M, W, F and S.
>
> So, is the calorie count correct? should I eat less on
> days I don't run? I would like to lose 2 pounds per week.

The bottom line of any diet that works long-term is going to
be one that creates a caloric deficit. This is what I've
done to go from 245 to 166 since June '03. Some say counting
calories is difficult. However, once you get used to it,
it's not so bad. There are a few software programs that will
help you count calories. The one I use is DietPower
www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week trial and play
with it. That program and a high quality digital food scale
allows me to accurately track everything I eat. I suggest
that you at least try the software. The software will answer
the questions in your post for you. It will figure your
metabolic rate, your calories burned during exercise, how
much you can eat on a daily basis to achieve your desired
goal, and allow you to track your nutrients to make sure you
are eating a balanced diet (which is even more important
when you are restricting calories).

-Phil
 
J

Jojo

Guest
> The bottom line of any diet that works long-term is going
> to be one that creates a caloric deficit. This is what
> I've done to go from 245 to 166 since June '03. Some say
> counting calories is difficult. However, once you get used
> to it, it's not so bad. There are a few software programs
> that will help you count calories. The one I use is
> DietPower www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week
> trial and play with it. That program and a high quality
> digital food scale allows me to accurately track
> everything I eat. I suggest that you at least try the
> software. The software will answer the questions in your
> post for you. It will figure your metabolic rate, your
> calories burned during exercise, how much you can eat on a
> daily basis to achieve your desired goal, and allow you to
> track your nutrients to make sure you are eating a
> balanced diet (which is even more important when you are
> restricting calories).
>
> -Phil

can the program keep track of more than one person? Or, do
you need to purchase one for each member of the household on
a diet? jojo
 
P

Phil M.

Guest
"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> The bottom line of any diet that works long-term is going
>> to be one that creates a caloric deficit. This is what
>> I've done to go from 245 to 166 since June '03. Some say
>> counting calories is difficult. However, once you get
>> used to it, it's not so bad. There are a few software
>> programs that will help you count calories. The one I use
>> is DietPower www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week
>> trial and play with it. That program and a high quality
>> digital food scale allows me to accurately track
>> everything I eat. I suggest that you at least try the
>> software. The software will answer the questions in your
>> post for you. It will figure your metabolic rate, your
>> calories burned during exercise, how much you can eat on
>> a daily basis to achieve your desired goal, and allow you
>> to track your nutrients to make sure you are eating a
>> balanced diet (which is even more important when you are
>> restricting calories).
>>
>> -Phil
>
> can the program keep track of more than one person? Or, do
> you need to purchase one for each member of the household
> on a diet?

Yes. Go to http://www.dietpower.com/faq.htm, click on the
"Does it handle multiple users?" link.

-Phil
 
Z

Zgirl

Guest
> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake to
> 1300 per day. The website
>

1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
saying at least1500 is what the average woman needs just to
maintain basic vital functions, nevermind exercising...

anyone?
 
J

Jojo

Guest
"Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> > calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake
> > to 1300 per day. The
website
> >
>
>
> 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
> saying at
least1500
> is what the average woman needs just to maintain basic
> vital functions, nevermind exercising...
>
> anyone?
>
>
>
>

are you serious? I'm trying to find info on the web, but I
keep getting weight loss sights that just want me to spend
money and offer very little info...
 
P

Phil M.

Guest
"Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
>> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake to
>> 1300 per day. The website
>>
>
>
> 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
> saying at least1500 is what the average woman needs just
> to maintain basic vital functions, nevermind exercising...
>
> anyone?

Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
lost 8, gained
2). I entered her into my program, giving her 18 weeks to
lose 14 pounds, and it came up with this?

To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535
calories per day.

diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required to
maintain your current weight, or giving up the equivalent
of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You can earn a few
extra calories through exercise. At your current weight, a
fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk, for example, will burn off
about 6 calories a minute.)

It takes a while for the program to figure your metabolic
rate, so the first day is just a rough estimate. If you
start losing weight at a faster rate than your goal, the
program will adjust your caloric "budget" to allow for
more calories. Also, it will adjust for calories burned
through exercise.

-Phil
 
Z

Zgirl

Guest
here are some others:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-116-0-
853,FF.html?site=WomensRunni ng

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/leah1.htm

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> jojo wrote:
>
> > are you serious? I'm trying to find info on the web,
>
> Bwahahahahaha .... (-; The web is an ocean of
> misinformation.
>
> Anyway, as far as websites go, this is one of the
> better ones:
>
> http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html
>
> Pay attentiont to the stuff on dieting.
>
> Also try this:
>
> http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
>
> and read the subsection on "eating".
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
 
J

Jojo

Guest
"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SYWdnY-y-
> [email protected]:
>
> >
> >> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake
> >> to 1300 per day. The website
> >>
> >
> >
> > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
> > saying at least1500 is what the average woman needs just
> > to maintain basic vital functions, nevermind
> > exercising...
> >
> > anyone?
>
> Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
> lost 8, gained
> 2). I entered her into my program, giving her 18 weeks to
> lose 14 pounds, and it came up with this?
>
> To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
> 2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535 calories
> per day.

> diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required to
> maintain your current weight, or giving up the
> equivalent of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You can
> earn a few extra calories through exercise. At your
> current weight, a fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk, for
> example, will burn off about 6 calories a minute.)
>
> It takes a while for the program to figure your metabolic
> rate, so the first day is just a rough estimate. If you
> start losing weight at a faster rate than your goal, the
> program will adjust your caloric "budget" to allow for
> more calories. Also, it will adjust for calories burned
> through exercise.
>
> -Phil
>

Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of May 1st?
 
P

Phil M.

Guest
"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SYWdnY-y-
>> [email protected]:
>>
>> >
>> >> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake
>> >> to 1300 per day. The website
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of
>> > articles saying at least1500 is what the average woman
>> > needs just to maintain basic vital functions, nevermind
>> > exercising...
>> >
>> > anyone?
>>
>> Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
>> lost 8, gained 2). I entered her into my program, giving
>> her 18 weeks to lose 14 pounds, and it came up with this?
>>
>> To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
>> 2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535 calories
>> per day.

>> diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required
>> to maintain your current weight, or giving up the
>> equivalent of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You can
>> earn a few extra calories through exercise. At your
>> current weight, a fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk, for
>> example, will burn off about 6 calories a minute.)
>>
>> It takes a while for the program to figure your metabolic
>> rate, so the first day is just a rough estimate. If you
>> start losing weight at a faster rate than your goal, the
>> program will adjust your caloric "budget" to allow for
>> more calories. Also, it will adjust for calories burned
>> through exercise.
>>
>> -Phil
>>
>
> Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of May 1st?

I can do that, but it will show a daily caloric budget that
is too low for you (under 1,000 calories). On a sub-1000
calorie diet it will be very difficult to get the the proper
nutrients to maintain your health. I suggest you try the
software and plug in some values that are realistic.

-Phil
 
J

Jojo

Guest
"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> >
> > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SYWdnY-y-
> >> [email protected]:
> >>
> >> >
> >> >> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my
> >> >> intake to 1300 per day. The website
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of
> >> > articles saying at least1500 is what the average
> >> > woman needs just to maintain basic vital functions,
> >> > nevermind exercising...
> >> >
> >> > anyone?
> >>
> >> Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
> >> lost 8, gained 2). I entered her into my program,
> >> giving her 18 weeks to lose 14 pounds, and it came up
> >> with this?
> >>
> >> To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
> >> 2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535
> >> calories per day.

> >> diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required
> >> to maintain your current weight, or giving up the
> >> equivalent of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You
> >> can earn a few extra calories through exercise. At
> >> your current weight, a fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk,
> >> for example, will burn off about 6 calories a
> >> minute.)
> >>
> >> It takes a while for the program to figure your
> >> metabolic rate, so the first day is just a rough
> >> estimate. If you start losing weight at a faster rate
> >> than your goal, the program will adjust your caloric
> >> "budget" to allow for more calories. Also, it will
> >> adjust for calories burned through exercise.
> >>
> >> -Phil
> >>
> >
> > Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of
> > May 1st?
>
> I can do that, but it will show a daily caloric budget
> that is too low for you (under 1,000 calories). On a sub-
> 1000 calorie diet it will be very difficult to get the the
> proper nutrients to maintain your health. I suggest you
> try the software and plug in some values that are
> realistic.
>
> -Phil
>
>
ok, thanks for running the number. I do appreciate the help.
I'll DL it and check it out. jojo
 
D

Donovan Rebbech

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, jojo wrote:

> Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of May 1st?

That's 2lb a week. It requires 1000 calories/day deficit
(that means work out your daily maintenance calories and
then subtract 1000 from that), which is going to make any
exercise a truly painful and miserable experience.

You can run all the programs you like, but it will not
alter the fact that what you're aiming for is not
realistic. Is there a good reason why you're in such a
hurry ? If you're aiming for temporary weight loss to make
some sort of weigh-in, you could cheat the scales by 5lb or
more by temporary water loss, but if you're interested in
long term weight loss, then you need to adopt a long term
mindset to go with it.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
 
J

Jojo

Guest
"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> jojo wrote:
>
> > Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of
> > May 1st?
>
> That's 2lb a week. It requires 1000 calories/day deficit
> (that means work
out
> your daily maintenance calories and then subtract 1000
> from that), which
is
> going to make any exercise a truly painful and miserable
> experience.
>
> You can run all the programs you like, but it will not
> alter the fact that
what
> you're aiming for is not realistic. Is there a good reason
> why you're in
such
> a hurry ? If you're aiming for temporary weight loss to
> make some sort of weigh-in, you could cheat the scales by
> 5lb or more by temporary water
loss,
> but if you're interested in long term weight loss, then
> you need to adopt
a
> long term mindset to go with it.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

your right, I did not realize how silly that goal was. jojo
 
M

Mike Maxwell

Guest
Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
> 2 pounds a week? Hell, I lose that every morning.

So do I, but I remember where I put them by evening.

All seriousness aside, what is the mechanism for this? Is it
water loss (I wake up thirsty)? Of just the effect of not
eating for 10-12 hours (but my calory consumption during
sleep must be very low, I would think).

Mike McSwell
 
D

Donovan Rebbech

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Tim Downie wrote:
> TopCounsel wrote:
>
>> Water weighs "a pint a pound, the world around," right?
>
> Wrong. Twice in one day! ;-)
>
> In the UK we have stronger gravity and every pint weighs
> 20 oz.

So you would be able to break 1:30 if you were to run in
the US (-;

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
 
R

Runmum

Guest
jojo wrote:

>>> Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of
>>> May 1st?
<snip>
> your right, I did not realize how silly that goal
> was. jojo
>
>
But...if you run consistently four times a week until May 1,
and lose about 10 pounds, you will look smaller than if you
just lost 10 pounds.

Been there, done that :)

Maybe you want to look good in a dress or something?

Donna
 
J

Johnny Bravo

Guest
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:26:58 -0000, "Tim Downie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>TopCounsel wrote:
>
>> Water weighs "a pint a pound, the world around," right?
>
>Wrong. Twice in one day! ;-)
>
> In the UK we have stronger gravity and every pint
> weighs 20 oz.

That's because you're weighing stout, not water. :)

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the
inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
- H.P. Lovecraft