more help w/ weight loss

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jojo, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    Hi all.. I need diet help and I'm turning again to
    you.... starting weight 165 goal weight 145 5'-10" 42
    years old (female)

    First week: I did the southbeach and decided it was not
    for me. ran/walked once about 3 miles (about 30 minutes)
    lost 8 pounds

    Week 2 I simply ate what I thought was good for me (except
    for those candy bars) ran/walked 13 miles gained 2 pounds

    This is the start of week 3. I have decided to count
    calories. I am trying to factor how many calories I can have
    each day. I went to a website to learn how to calculate it
    all and I think I must restrict my intake to 1300 per day.
    The website did not have very good feedback for amount of
    exercise. 13 miles per week will be my average for a while,
    running M, W, F and S.

    So, is the calorie count correct? should I eat less on days
    I don't run? I would like to lose 2 pounds per week.

    Thanks for any feedback! jojo

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi all.. I need diet help and I'm turning again to you....
    > starting weight 165 goal weight 145 5'-10" 42 years old
    > (female)
    >
    > First week: I did the southbeach and decided it was not
    > for me. ran/walked once about 3 miles (about 30 minutes)
    > lost 8 pounds
    >
    > Week 2 I simply ate what I thought was good for me (except
    > for those candy bars) ran/walked 13 miles gained 2 pounds
    >
    > This is the start of week 3. I have decided to count
    > calories. I am trying to factor how many calories I can
    > have each day. I went to a website to learn how to
    > calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake to
    > 1300 per day. The website did not have very good feedback
    > for amount of exercise. 13 miles per week will be my
    > average for a while, running M, W, F and S.
    >
    > So, is the calorie count correct? should I eat less on
    > days I don't run? I would like to lose 2 pounds per week.

    The bottom line of any diet that works long-term is going to
    be one that creates a caloric deficit. This is what I've
    done to go from 245 to 166 since June '03. Some say counting
    calories is difficult. However, once you get used to it,
    it's not so bad. There are a few software programs that will
    help you count calories. The one I use is DietPower
    www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week trial and play
    with it. That program and a high quality digital food scale
    allows me to accurately track everything I eat. I suggest
    that you at least try the software. The software will answer
    the questions in your post for you. It will figure your
    metabolic rate, your calories burned during exercise, how
    much you can eat on a daily basis to achieve your desired
    goal, and allow you to track your nutrients to make sure you
    are eating a balanced diet (which is even more important
    when you are restricting calories).

    -Phil

  3. 2 pounds a week? Hell, I lose that every morning.

  4. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    > The bottom line of any diet that works long-term is going
    > to be one that creates a caloric deficit. This is what
    > I've done to go from 245 to 166 since June '03. Some say
    > counting calories is difficult. However, once you get used
    > to it, it's not so bad. There are a few software programs
    > that will help you count calories. The one I use is
    > DietPower www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week
    > trial and play with it. That program and a high quality
    > digital food scale allows me to accurately track
    > everything I eat. I suggest that you at least try the
    > software. The software will answer the questions in your
    > post for you. It will figure your metabolic rate, your
    > calories burned during exercise, how much you can eat on a
    > daily basis to achieve your desired goal, and allow you to
    > track your nutrients to make sure you are eating a
    > balanced diet (which is even more important when you are
    > restricting calories).
    >
    > -Phil

    can the program keep track of more than one person? Or, do
    you need to purchase one for each member of the household on
    a diet? jojo

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> The bottom line of any diet that works long-term is going
    >> to be one that creates a caloric deficit. This is what
    >> I've done to go from 245 to 166 since June '03. Some say
    >> counting calories is difficult. However, once you get
    >> used to it, it's not so bad. There are a few software
    >> programs that will help you count calories. The one I use
    >> is DietPower www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week
    >> trial and play with it. That program and a high quality
    >> digital food scale allows me to accurately track
    >> everything I eat. I suggest that you at least try the
    >> software. The software will answer the questions in your
    >> post for you. It will figure your metabolic rate, your
    >> calories burned during exercise, how much you can eat on
    >> a daily basis to achieve your desired goal, and allow you
    >> to track your nutrients to make sure you are eating a
    >> balanced diet (which is even more important when you are
    >> restricting calories).
    >>
    >> -Phil
    >
    > can the program keep track of more than one person? Or, do
    > you need to purchase one for each member of the household
    > on a diet?

    Yes. Go to http://www.dietpower.com/faq.htm, click on the
    "Does it handle multiple users?" link.

    -Phil

  6. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    > calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake to
    > 1300 per day. The website

    1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
    saying at least1500 is what the average woman needs just to
    maintain basic vital functions, nevermind exercising...

    anyone?

  7. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake
    > > to 1300 per day. The
    website

    > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
    > saying at
    least1500
    > is what the average woman needs just to maintain basic
    > vital functions, nevermind exercising...
    >
    > anyone?

    are you serious? I'm trying to find info on the web, but I
    keep getting weight loss sights that just want me to spend
    money and offer very little info...

  8. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake to
    >> 1300 per day. The website
    >>

    > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
    > saying at least1500 is what the average woman needs just
    > to maintain basic vital functions, nevermind exercising...
    >
    > anyone?

    Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
    lost 8, gained
    2). I entered her into my program, giving her 18 weeks to
    lose 14 pounds, and it came up with this?

    To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
    2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535
    calories per day.

    diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required to
    maintain your current weight, or giving up the equivalent
    of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You can earn a few
    extra calories through exercise. At your current weight, a
    fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk, for example, will burn off
    about 6 calories a minute.)

    It takes a while for the program to figure your metabolic
    rate, so the first day is just a rough estimate. If you
    start losing weight at a faster rate than your goal, the
    program will adjust your caloric "budget" to allow for
    more calories. Also, it will adjust for calories burned
    through exercise.

    -Phil

  9. Zgirl

    Zgirl Guest

    here are some others:

    http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-116-0-
    853,FF.html?site=WomensRunni ng

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/leah1.htm

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > jojo wrote:
    >
    > > are you serious? I'm trying to find info on the web,
    >
    > Bwahahahahaha .... (-; The web is an ocean of
    > misinformation.
    >
    > Anyway, as far as websites go, this is one of the
    > better ones:
    >
    > http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html
    >
    > Pay attentiont to the stuff on dieting.
    >
    > Also try this:
    >
    > http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    >
    > and read the subsection on "eating".
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  10. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SYWdnY-y-
    > [email protected]:
    >

    > >> calculate it all and I think I must restrict my intake
    > >> to 1300 per day. The website
    > >>

    > > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of articles
    > > saying at least1500 is what the average woman needs just
    > > to maintain basic vital functions, nevermind
    > > exercising...
    > >
    > > anyone?
    >
    > Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
    > lost 8, gained
    > 2). I entered her into my program, giving her 18 weeks to
    > lose 14 pounds, and it came up with this?
    >
    > To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
    > 2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535 calories
    > per day.

    > diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required to
    > maintain your current weight, or giving up the
    > equivalent of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You can
    > earn a few extra calories through exercise. At your
    > current weight, a fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk, for
    > example, will burn off about 6 calories a minute.)
    >
    > It takes a while for the program to figure your metabolic
    > rate, so the first day is just a rough estimate. If you
    > start losing weight at a faster rate than your goal, the
    > program will adjust your caloric "budget" to allow for
    > more calories. Also, it will adjust for calories burned
    > through exercise.
    >
    > -Phil

    Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of May 1st?

  11. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SYWdnY-y-
    >> [email protected]:

    >> > 1300 sounds way low to me... i've read a lot of
    >> > articles saying at least1500 is what the average woman
    >> > needs just to maintain basic vital functions, nevermind
    >> > exercising...
    >> >
    >> > anyone?
    >>
    >> Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
    >> lost 8, gained 2). I entered her into my program, giving
    >> her 18 weeks to lose 14 pounds, and it came up with this?
    >>
    >> To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
    >> 2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535 calories
    >> per day.

    >> diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required
    >> to maintain your current weight, or giving up the
    >> equivalent of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You can
    >> earn a few extra calories through exercise. At your
    >> current weight, a fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk, for
    >> example, will burn off about 6 calories a minute.)
    >>
    >> It takes a while for the program to figure your metabolic
    >> rate, so the first day is just a rough estimate. If you
    >> start losing weight at a faster rate than your goal, the
    >> program will adjust your caloric "budget" to allow for
    >> more calories. Also, it will adjust for calories burned
    >> through exercise.
    >>
    >> -Phil
    >>

    > Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of May 1st?

    I can do that, but it will show a daily caloric budget that
    is too low for you (under 1,000 calories). On a sub-1000
    calorie diet it will be very difficult to get the the proper
    nutrients to maintain your health. I suggest you try the
    software and plug in some values that are realistic.

    -Phil

  12. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> "Zgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SYWdnY-y-
    > >> [email protected]:

    > >> Assuming jojo weighs 159 lbs now (she said she was 165,
    > >> lost 8, gained 2). I entered her into my program,
    > >> giving her 18 weeks to lose 14 pounds, and it came up
    > >> with this?
    > >>
    > >> To reach your goal weight of 145.0 pounds on July 24,
    > >> 2004, you need to average a net intake of 1535
    > >> calories per day.

    > >> diet. It means eating 374 calories less than required
    > >> to maintain your current weight, or giving up the
    > >> equivalent of about 5 slices of bread per day. (You
    > >> can earn a few extra calories through exercise. At
    > >> your current weight, a fast, 4-mile-per-hour, walk,
    > >> for example, will burn off about 6 calories a
    > >> minute.)
    > >>
    > >> It takes a while for the program to figure your
    > >> metabolic rate, so the first day is just a rough
    > >> estimate. If you start losing weight at a faster rate
    > >> than your goal, the program will adjust your caloric
    > >> "budget" to allow for more calories. Also, it will
    > >> adjust for calories burned through exercise.
    > >>
    > >> -Phil
    > >>

    > > Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of
    > > May 1st?
    >
    > I can do that, but it will show a daily caloric budget
    > that is too low for you (under 1,000 calories). On a sub-
    > 1000 calorie diet it will be very difficult to get the the
    > proper nutrients to maintain your health. I suggest you
    > try the software and plug in some values that are
    > realistic.
    >
    > -Phil

    ok, thanks for running the number. I do appreciate the help.
    I'll DL it and check it out. jojo

  13. In article <[email protected]>, jojo wrote:

    > Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of May 1st?

    That's 2lb a week. It requires 1000 calories/day deficit
    (that means work out your daily maintenance calories and
    then subtract 1000 from that), which is going to make any
    exercise a truly painful and miserable experience.

    You can run all the programs you like, but it will not
    alter the fact that what you're aiming for is not
    realistic. Is there a good reason why you're in such a
    hurry ? If you're aiming for temporary weight loss to make
    some sort of weigh-in, you could cheat the scales by 5lb or
    more by temporary water loss, but if you're interested in
    long term weight loss, then you need to adopt a long term
    mindset to go with it.

    Cheers,

  14. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > jojo wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of
    > > May 1st?
    >
    > That's 2lb a week. It requires 1000 calories/day deficit
    > (that means work
    out
    > your daily maintenance calories and then subtract 1000
    > from that), which
    is
    > going to make any exercise a truly painful and miserable
    > experience.
    >
    > You can run all the programs you like, but it will not
    > alter the fact that
    what
    > you're aiming for is not realistic. Is there a good reason
    > why you're in
    such
    > a hurry ? If you're aiming for temporary weight loss to
    > make some sort of weigh-in, you could cheat the scales by
    > 5lb or more by temporary water
    loss,
    > but if you're interested in long term weight loss, then
    > you need to adopt
    > long term mindset to go with it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Donovan Rebbechi http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    your right, I did not realize how silly that goal was. jojo

  15. Mike Maxwell

    Mike Maxwell Guest

    Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
    > 2 pounds a week? Hell, I lose that every morning.

    So do I, but I remember where I put them by evening.

    All seriousness aside, what is the mechanism for this? Is it
    water loss (I wake up thirsty)? Of just the effect of not
    eating for 10-12 hours (but my calory consumption during
    sleep must be very low, I would think).

    Mike McSwell

  16. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    TopCounsel wrote:

    > Water weighs "a pint a pound, the world around," right?

    Wrong. Twice in one day! ;-)

    In the UK we have stronger gravity and every pint
    weighs 20 oz.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Tim Downie wrote:
    > TopCounsel wrote:
    >
    >> Water weighs "a pint a pound, the world around," right?
    >
    > Wrong. Twice in one day! ;-)
    >
    > In the UK we have stronger gravity and every pint weighs
    > 20 oz.

    So you would be able to break 1:30 if you were to run in
    the US (-;

    Cheers,

  18. Runmum

    Runmum Guest

    jojo wrote:

    >>> Thanks Phil. Can you rerun it for target date of
    >>> May 1st?
    <snip>
    > your right, I did not realize how silly that goal
    > was. jojo

    But...if you run consistently four times a week until May 1,
    and lose about 10 pounds, you will look smaller than if you
    just lost 10 pounds.

    Been there, done that :)

    Maybe you want to look good in a dress or something?

    Donna

  19. Johnny Bravo

    Johnny Bravo Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:26:58 -0000, "Tim Downie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >TopCounsel wrote:
    >
    >> Water weighs "a pint a pound, the world around," right?
    >
    >Wrong. Twice in one day! ;-)
    >
    > In the UK we have stronger gravity and every pint
    > weighs 20 oz.

    That's because you're weighing stout, not water. :)

    --
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the
    inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."