More Info Needed on Teflon Goop for BB Noise

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
On another thread Fox Farm mentioned the use of Teflon Goop on the press fit surface where Campy BB cups slide onto the sealed bearing - he mentioned the Goop as a remedy for BB noise.

I've mentioned in this forum that Loctite 660 can also be used on the press fit surface to eliminate BB creak but I'm curious as to what exactly the Teflon Goop is ???

Fox Farm ???????????????

litespeedguy said:
On another thread Fox Farm mentioned the use of Teflon Goop on the press fit surface where Campy BB cups slide onto the sealed bearing - he mentioned the Goop as a remedy for BB noise.

I've mentioned in this forum that Loctite 660 can also be used on the press fit surface to eliminate BB creak but I'm curious as to what exactly the Teflon Goop is ???

Fox Farm ???????????????

I would guess it's Teflon paste, usually used on pipe threads. You should be able to find it at any hardware plumbing supply store.

Teflon doesn't make sense though ! it creates slippage whereas the Loctite 660 cures and creates a tighter press ft and therefore combats creaking created by spindle pressure .

litespeedguy said:
Teflon doesn't make sense though ! it creates slippage whereas the Loctite 660 cures and creates a tighter press ft and therefore combats creaking created by spindle pressure .

Teflon paste or tape would create a tighter fit too. That's how it seals pipe threads, by filling in the gaps. With your BB, gaps allow movement which turns into noise.

thanks for the reply bmph8ter - the Loctite 660 is fairly expensive and the bond between the cups and sealed bearing can be hard to break - Teflon paste might be a better alternative.

Another question : do you think the average bike shop would know that the loose fit between cups and bearing can produce a creaking sound ?? and would they know the remedy ?? I was amazed when the owner of the shop I go to used the Loctite 660 but I can't believe most bike shops would have known this.

litespeedguy said:
thanks for the reply bmph8ter - the Loctite 660 is fairly expensive and the bond between the cups and sealed bearing can be hard to break - Teflon paste might be a better alternative.

Another question : do you think the average bike shop would know that the loose fit between cups and bearing can produce a creaking sound ?? and would they know the remedy ?? I was amazed when the owner of the shop I go to used the Loctite 660 but I can't believe most bike shops would have known this.

You're welcome. Yes, I believe the average bike shop wrench would know this. Some may use different things (loctite, teflon paste, thick grease) but the result should be the same. Things like this are often done for thread in bottom brackets as well (not the loctite). I've watched the wrenches at my local shop use teflon tape several times on bikes that wouldn't stop creaking. It seems in this age of 'price is everything' manufacturing tolerances aren't what they used to be.

eric_the_red said:
I would guess it's Teflon paste, usually used on pipe threads. You should be able to find it at any hardware plumbing supply store.
Yes, the teflon in plumbers pipe thread with teflon. It is available at any hardware or Home Depot type of store. You only need a small tube since you will only use a finger tip full. I used this at the recommendation of a Campy specific bike mechanic on line. I removed the aluminum cups on my bottom bracket (they easily slide off) and then smeared the white teflon plumbers paste-goop onto the outside of the sealed bearing housings. I then slipped the cup-housings back on, painted the threads of the bottom bracket with Ti Prep anti seeze compound and installed. 1200 miles later and it is very quiet on the bottom bracket front.

I've done some additional research and I'm not sure the Teflon paste/cream is a viable longer term solution to this very specific type of creak created by spindle play on Campy equipment - and here's why - to solve this type of creak longer term you need a compound that will both take up space because of loose machining tolerances and harden - both requirements are essential. Teflon cream will take up space but it doesn't harden and so it will dissipate and/or break down - the creaking will return.

At the advise of someone I consider to be one of the truly great bike mechanics, I tried the Loctite 660. It's amazing - no creaking for months now.