More Joaquin Miller MUni, 4/9/06

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by tholub, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. tholub

    tholub Guest

    Keith Frankie (featured in Nick Brazzi's "Blood, Sweat, and Wheels"
    movie from the 2003 Moab MUniFest) came up to visit this weekend, so we
    got together a nice MUni ride in Redwood and Joaquin Miller Parks in
    Oakland. Things got off to a bit of a rocky start when the bearings on
    my right pedal (Wellgo) on my loaner MUni fell off in the parking lot.
    I suppose that's better than the trail. We zipped back down the hill
    to the closest bike store and picked up a set of cheap platforms, and
    off we were.

    This past month has been ridiculously rainy in the Bay Area, and the
    trails were all pretty soft and muddy. But the two featured trails in
    Joaquin Miller, Cinderella and Chaparral, both tend to stay pretty
    rideable when they're wet, so aside from the odd dismount due to mud
    bogs or slideouts, we did just fine. We've finally gotten enough sun
    that some of the plants are starting to bloom; Chaparral, in
    particular, is gorgeous at this time of year. There were a couple of
    big biffs, as we all were encouraging each other to try stuff that was
    a little beyond us, but no serious injuries.

    Now that things are green, the 'photos are really pretty.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/jb2m6)

    [image:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/..._GALLERYSID=f48204626a3a93d0024a836ba2fc4f5e]

    --
    tholub

  2. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Nice shots...thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a great day on the
    trails. I would have liked to try those steps/drops on cinderella and
    chaparral, although with all that blooming, I would have been ingesting
    equal parts Claritin and Gatorade.

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

  3. tholub

    tholub Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > Nice shots...thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a great day on the
    > trails. I would have liked to try those steps/drops on cinderella and
    > chaparral, although with all that blooming, I would have been ingesting
    > equal parts Claritin and Gatorade.

    They are both really fun trails, and Chaparral is hard enough to be a
    project for many years. (I cleaned it for the first time after I got
    back from Moab this year, after riding it dozens of times). If you
    find an excuse to be in the Bay Area, let me know and we'll put
    together a ride.

    --
    tholub

  4. briguymaine