more Melbourne singletrack.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Marx SS, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Marx SS

Marx SS New Member

Good to see some old singletrack opened up again South bank of the Yarra on the east border of Kew Golf course (Melways 31 K11). Not sure if all the work was done by the local MTB club (??) or just some guys with an eye for a good line. Would like some rain to bed in that freshly turned trail down.
    Riding east from the Fairfield boathouse pipe bridge, I took the track alongside the main Yarra trail after Chandler Hway & only got as far as the Burke Rd bridge b4 turning back.

A few guys out & about Sunday. That singletrack up on the Eastern freeway siding is getting pretty wide now with all the traffic it’s taking, and the lack of rain isn’t helping any grow back.

I noticed that some track up on the top towards the Yarra Blvd in Yarra Bend park had logs/branches closing it off. Most of that area near the Fairfield boathouse & Yarra Bend Public golf course (Melways 44 K1) is signed prohibiting MTBs (bikes), anyway so I suppose we shouldn’t be hanging about there really.

Tags:

2. slaw

slaw New Member

Mate and I were out there Sunday morning too. Exactly which section do you mean that has been opened again? East of the golf course - is that just to the west of Burke Rd bridge?

There was a section to the south of the bridge there that has had a large expanse of water for a few months now. It used to have a couple of nice tracks, narrow in parts and muddy sometimes, but is now impassable.

Also noticed that the jumps that were not far to the East of the bridge have been bulldozed flat.

We went up to Westerfolds and back, and it's great to see that the tracks are in such good nick at the moment, even though it's a little less challenging. There have been times in the last 12 months or so when there's been heaps of water on sections, thick, sticky mud, fallen trees, subsidence etc.

In the arvo, I swapped the mtb for the tandem and went with the family and rode some of the sections again, but with only a couple of excursions off the MYT.

Thanks heaps to the trail fairies whoever you may be?

3. Marx SS

Marx SS New Member

The new-ish bit is just on the east border of the Kew Golf course, south bank of the Yarra river - just before you cross the Main Yarra Path bridge if you're coming from the city. It's on the right had side of the Main path as you come from the city, after the steep [offroad] downhill off the Eastern freeway embankment.

I'm not a great fan of muddy going, more for the fact that in this dry spell we've had I haven't washed my MTB in 2.5 months & I do at least a good offroad session per week.

4. slaw

slaw New Member

Thanx Marx. Must skirt around that pond I mentioned. I'll check it out soon.

5. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

Which trails around there are you refering to? The loop track on the right hand side (coming from city) which goes from the big 'to bourke rd access track' sign? I rode that the other day and it seemed to be in pretty bad repair. Or are you talking about the few short bits which run sort of alongside the main trail, again on the right? The best tracks (imo) around there are the ones on the left hand side, which start after the main trail turns and runs along the yarra up to the bridge. Unless you are refering to a section I haven't seen before :).

6. Marx SS

Marx SS New Member

it's new.
    on the right, after that "To Burke rd' access track. But there's heaps about, this is just one little extra along the main Yarra trail to Westerfolds (fro mthe city).