More money for BeHIT (but less than before)

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
From Hansard:

* Bicycle Helmets. Jane Griffiths MP (Lab - Reading East) asked about
assistance given by the DfT and its predesuccessor Depts to the BHIT, in
each of the last five years: and upon what conditions such asssistance was
given. The full resply from David Jamieson MP DfT was "We work closely with
the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust (BHIT), including the provision of grant
aid for initiatives which contribute to the Government's cycling objectives.
I helped launch the BHIT's "Guidelines for Setting up Community Based
Bicycle Helmet Programmes" in May 2002. They are the result of three years
work funded by a joint package with the Department of Health of £100,000.
BHIT also received funding to produce a similar School Based set of
Guidelines, which were sent to all schools in July 2003. The BHIT have
received further funding from the Department of Health for three years. The
DoH gave BHIT £32,000 in 2002-03, £25,000 in 2003-04, and will be giving
£20,000 in 2004-05 for their Helmet Your Head project. The project was
funded as part of the DoH's target for the Health Service to contribute to
accident prevention and especially injury reduction among children. We have
given grant aid to other organisations who are pursuing initiatives which
support the aims of our road safety strategy, such as RoSPA, for their
"Guidelines for Child Cycle Training" and the CTC for their "Adult Cycle
Training Schemes Guidelines" ". (30/03/04 HofC 1320W).

So, where do I go to get my hands on such enormous wads of taxpayers' money
without having to deliver anything for it? I don't even have a track record
of failure to deliver on previous projects, so I should be well ahead :)

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> So, where do I go to get my hands on such enormous wads of taxpayers' money
> without having to deliver anything for it? I don't even have a track record
> of failure to deliver on previous projects, so I should be well ahead :)

But that's exactly what you do need. Ask EDS, for example.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

> From Hansard:
>
> * Bicycle Helmets. Jane Griffiths MP (Lab - Reading East) asked about
> assistance given by the DfT and its predesuccessor Depts to the BHIT, in
> each of the last five years: and upon what conditions such asssistance was
> given. The full resply from David Jamieson MP DfT was "We work closely

with
> the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust (BHIT), including the provision of

grant
> aid for initiatives which contribute to the Government's cycling

objectives.
> I helped launch the BHIT's "Guidelines for Setting up Community Based
> Bicycle Helmet Programmes" in May 2002. They are the result of three years
> work funded by a joint package with the Department of Health of £100,000.
> BHIT also received funding to produce a similar School Based set of
> Guidelines, which were sent to all schools in July 2003. The BHIT have
> received further funding from the Department of Health for three years.

The
> DoH gave BHIT £32,000 in 2002-03, £25,000 in 2003-04, and will be giving
> £20,000 in 2004-05 for their Helmet Your Head project. The project was
> funded as part of the DoH's target for the Health Service to contribute to
> accident prevention and especially injury reduction among children. We

have
> given grant aid to other organisations who are pursuing initiatives which
> support the aims of our road safety strategy, such as RoSPA, for their
> "Guidelines for Child Cycle Training" and the CTC for their "Adult Cycle
> Training Schemes Guidelines" ". (30/03/04 HofC 1320W).
>

> So, where do I go to get my hands on such enormous wads of taxpayers'

money
> without having to deliver anything for it? I don't even have a track

record
> of failure to deliver on previous projects, so I should be well ahead :)
>
> --
> Guy

I asked my MP two weeks ago to see what he could do about stopping funding
for an organisation which has shown no benefit for the public money it has
received, and which has misled parliament and MPs. I await a reply.

cheers

Rich

>> So, where do I go to get my hands on such enormous wads of taxpayers'
> money
>> without having to deliver anything for it? I don't even have a track

> record
>> of failure to deliver on previous projects, so I should be well ahead

> I asked my MP two weeks ago to see what he could do about stopping
> funding for an organisation which has shown no benefit for the public
> money it has received, and which has misled parliament and MPs. I
> await a reply.

AFAIK the money is given to help fund the campaigns to raise helmet wearing
rates, in which they have been successful (well, thats what BHIT said
anyway).

Mark Thompson wrote:

> AFAIK the money is given to help fund the campaigns to raise helmet
> wearing rates, in which they have been successful (well, thats what
> BHIT said anyway).

Yes, and their documentation of success includes hard numbers like
"substantial" and "significant", according to their few publications on the
matter. In other words, they haven't counted, just in case they are proved
wrong.

--
Guy
===

Mark Thompson wrote:

> AFAIK the money is given to help fund the campaigns to raise helmet wearing
> rates, in which they have been successful (well, thats what BHIT said
> anyway).

Quite possibly true: 100 people cycling with one person wearing hat, 1%
wearing rate. After horror show presentation, 10 people cycling with 5
of them wearing hats, we've climbed to 50%. Which BHIT will probably
see as a great result while others of us, ummmmm, won't.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

> Quite possibly true: 100 people cycling with one person wearing hat,
> 1% wearing rate. After horror show presentation, 10 people cycling
> with 5 of them wearing hats, we've climbed to 50%. Which BHIT will
> probably see as a great result while others of us, ummmmm, won't.

Unfortunately I suspect you're right.

burt wrote:

> I asked my MP two weeks ago to see what he could do about stopping funding
> for an organisation which has shown no benefit for the public money it has
> received, and which has misled parliament and MPs. I await a reply.

From my local paper today...

"SILKY SKILLS
Young footballers are limbering up for the Testway 7s tournament next
month to be held in memory of John Hanson pupil Troy Parker. Troy's
mother Carlie Annetts is hoping that this year's tournament, running
from 12 to 13 June, will match the success of last year's - when more
than £2500 was raised for the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit in
Southampton. This year the tournament will be supporting the Southampton
ICU and national charity the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust."

I will be approaching said school and perhaps Carlie Annetts to suggest
that funding raised through this type of event should perhaps be better
put towards cycle training rather than an organisation that has made
such a mess of its case. Unfortunately it will be too late for these
June events.
I think the Testway 7s is organised with support from the local council
as a scheme to occupy youngsters, so there is public funding involved
although not directly.

JohnB

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:20:34 +0100, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>From my local paper today...
>This year the tournament will be supporting the Southampton
>ICU and national charity the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust."

Will you be writing a Pithy Letter?