More on ethical bankruptcy of USOC leaders

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bikeadman, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Bikeadman

    Bikeadman Guest

    Saturday's NY Times article by Richard Sandomir:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/25/sports/othersports/25OLYM.html

    Kenneth W. Duberstein, the chairman of the United States Olympic Committee's ethics panel, which
    exonerated the organization's chief executive, Lloyd Ward, of conflict of interest charges, has been
    paid $516,000 since 1999 as a lobbyist for General Motors, on whose board Ward serves. Two
    independent ethics experts said yesterday that Duberstein's work lobbying the United States Senate
    for General Motors presented a clear conflict of interest in his role as chairman of the Olympic
    committee's ethics panel. They said Duberstein's independence in the ethics panel's determinations
    on Ward could readily be seen by people as compromised by his business interest with General Motors
    and its board. Duberstein declined to comment yesterday. Advertisement

    General Motors is also a sponsor of the Olympic committee and is one of many clients of the
    Duberstein Group, a consulting and strategic planning concern in Washington. Duberstein's company
    has been a lobbyist for G.M. since 1989 and generally has no contact with the G.M board, a person
    familiar with the Duberstein Group said. Patrick Rodgers, the Olympic committee's former ethics
    compliance officer, said last week that Duberstein had never filed a disclosure form that might have
    listed his work for G.M.
    W. Michael Hoffman, executive director of the Center for Business Ethics at Bentley College in
    Waltham, Mass., said of Duberstein, "One could say that he went about his responsibilities with
    total independence, but part of what makes a conflict of interest is if a reasonable person
    perceives that one's judgment can be influenced by a personal interest that interferes with his
    judgment." Hoffman said that even though publicly available information details Duberstein's
    lobbying activities, he should have declared his business relationship with G.M. to the Olympic
    committee and to its ethics committee. He described Duberstein's position as a "disabling
    conflict of interest," the worst possible kind. Jeffrey Kaplan, a lawyer in New York whose
    practice deals mainly with business ethics and corporate compliance, said, "Whether one is on an
    ethics committee or the head of any adjudicative body, one should disclose anything that gives
    rise to the substance or appearance of a conflict of interest." The Duberstein Group's role as a
    lobbyist for G.M. and how much it was paid by
    W.A. last year were disclosed yesterday in The Gazette, a newspaper in Colorado Springs. The
    disclosure of Duberstein's work for G.M. appears to further undercut the Olympic committee's
    standing as its top officials prepare to testify Tuesday at a hearing of the Senate Commerce
    Committee about the ethics panel's findings on Ward and on the overall management of the
    organization. A meeting next week between Olympic officials and Senators Ted Stevens,
    Republican of Alaska, and Ben Nighthorse Campbell, Republican of Colorado, was canceled because
    they will attend the hearing. On Jan. 13, the ethics panel found that Ward had "created the
    appearance of a conflict of interest" by directing a staff member to help advance a proposal by
    a company run by his brother and a childhood friend to provide backup power for the Pan
    American Games next summer. The panel also found that Ward should have disclosed what he had
    done. The Olympic organization's executive committee accepted the findings and said any
    punishment of Ward would be financial, most likely by reducing his bonus after his performance
    review. In an e-mail message Ward sent late Thursday to the organization's board of directors,
    he said he had asked the top officials of the organization "to direct the entire bonus, if any,
    in which I am awarded for the 2002 calendar year, to athlete programs." He is eligible for a
    bonus totaling several hundred thousand dollars in addition to his $550,000 annual salary. Ward
    was elected to the G.M. board in 2000 when he was the chief executive of Maytag. He is paid an
    annual director's retainer of $120,000 and serves on
    W.B.'s public policy and audit committees. He declined to discuss whether he knew Duberstein was a
    G.M. lobbyist. Records on file with the secretary of the Senate show that G.M. paid the
    Duberstein Group $80,000 in 1999, $120,000 in 2000 and $196,000 in 2001. For the first half of
    2002, G.M. paid another $120,000. Duberstein was chief of staff in the Reagan White House in
    1988 and 1989, and his lobbying clients last year included AOL Time Warner, Arthur Andersen,
    Fannie Mae, Goldman Sachs and United Airlines. United is an Olympic committee sponsor.
    Duberstsein was also the co-chairman of an investigation into the Olympic committee after it was
    revealed that the organizers of the Salt Lake Olympics had lavished International Olympic
    Committee members with more than $1 million in cash and gifts. Although Ward kept his job at the
    Olympic committee, he continues to deal with the messy aftermath of the inquiry, including a
    call this week by seven of the organization's top officials for the resignation of its
    president, Marty Mankamyer. In an e-mail message sent to the Olympic committee's 123 board
    members on Thursday, Ward tried to clarify how much time he spends at the organization's
    headquarters in Colorado Springs. "There have been misrepresentations and misunderstandings
    concerning how and where I spend my time," Ward wrote in the message. He said that he lived in a
    rented house in Colorado Springs and had purchased a lot on which a new house was being built.
    Colorado property and mortgage records show that Ward and his wife, Estralita, paid $475,000 for
    a lot in a resort community near the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs and have taken out a
    $1.9 million construction loan. "We will pay 2002 state taxes as Colorado residents," he wrote.
    "I spent five non-holiday weekends in our second home in Long Boat Key, Florida. I paid for all
    my personal travel to and from Florida." Based on his 2002 calendar, Ward tried to break down
    his work as chief executive, listing 19 separate activities and the number of occasions he was
    involved in each of them. They included 641 general office meetings; 158 scheduled phone calls;
    121 meetings of sponsors, suppliers and donors; 25 keynote addresses; 125 breakfast, lunch and
    dinner meetings; 19 news interviews; 16 days at board meetings of other corporations; and 39
    weekend days worked.

    Tags:

  2. So by the ethical standards below, the Bushman and his Chickenhawk Cabinet, have clear ethical
    problem in calling for war with Iraq and its concomitant military buildup.

    Brian Lafferty
    --
    Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and
    corporate power.--Benito Mussolini Together We Can End Violence, Exploitation and War Visit UU

    "BikeAdman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > have taken out a $1.9 million construction loan. "We will pay 2002 state taxes as Colorado
    > residents," he wrote. "I spent
    five
    > non-holiday weekends in our second home in Long Boat Key, Florida. I paid
    for
    > all my personal travel to and from Florida." Based on his 2002 calendar, Ward tried to break down
    > his work as chief executive, listing 19 separate activities and the number of occasions he
    was
    > involved in each of them. They included 641 general office meetings; 158 scheduled phone calls;
    > 121 meetings of sponsors, suppliers and donors; 25 keynote addresses; 125 breakfast, lunch and
    > dinner meetings; 19 news interviews; 16 days at board meetings of other corporations; and 39

  3. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Brian Lafferty wrote:

    > So by the ethical standards below, the Bushman and his Chickenhawk Cabinet, have clear ethical
    > problem in calling for war with Iraq and its concomitant military buildup.
    >
    > Brian Lafferty
    > --

    Oh, I would say they have had ethical problems long before the current concomitant military buildup.
    Oh dicky cheney's company Haliburton is just seeing the dollars signs once the oil-fields get set
    afire and 'they' have to go in and put them out.

    Then again, it is not about the oil... right?

    Joe
    --

    Pursuant to U.S. code,title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon
    State Law, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting

  4. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Brian Lafferty" <[email protected]
    > So by the ethical standards below, the Bushman and his Chickenhawk
    Cabinet,
    > have clear ethical problem in calling for war with Iraq and its
    concomitant
    > military buildup.
    >
    > Brian Lafferty

    Yet another thread gone to crap...