More on flipping over chains when worn...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Crankshaw, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Check out this Velo News article:

    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/5610.0.html

    "Wayne Stetina, Shimano's R&D manager, says, "If you remove the chain when it is only halfway worn
    out and flip it over," he says, "you will double your chain life." In other words, your chain will
    now be turned inside out. The other side of the rollers will now contact the gears, and the
    derailleurs will now be laterally bending the chain the opposite direction. Stetina says that
    Shimano engineers discovered this phenomenon quite by accident."

    Hmmmmm....

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    John Crankshaw writes:

    > Check out this Velo News article:

    > http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/5610.0.html

    > "Wayne Stetina, Shimano's R&D manager, says, "If you remove the chain when it is only halfway worn
    > out and flip it over," he says, "you will double your chain life." In other words, your chain will
    > now be turned inside out. The other side of the rollers will now contact the gears, and the
    > derailleurs will now be laterally bending the chain the opposite direction. Stetina says that
    > Shimano engineers discovered this phenomenon quite by accident."

    Zinn's claim that a worn chain will ruin new sprockets in a single ride makes me wonder about the
    rest of his "good advice" that he has in his new book that is promoted in this article. It seems
    this is a book for entertainment filled with myth and lore. A good read in front of the fire on a
    wintry night.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    John Crankshaw wrote:
    > Check out this Velo News article:
    >
    > http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/5610.0.html
    >
    > "Wayne Stetina, Shimano's R&D manager, says, "If you remove the chain when it is only halfway worn
    > out and flip it over," he says, "you will double your chain life." In other words, your chain will
    > now be turned inside out. The other side of the rollers will now contact the gears, and the
    > derailleurs will now be laterally bending the chain the opposite direction. Stetina says that
    > Shimano engineers discovered this phenomenon quite by accident."
    >
    > Hmmmmm....

    "Crankshaw", eh? Somehow seems appropriate :)

    Please go out and buy a 180 NDS crank, as your left leg has been pulled.

    Bill "or could it possib----, nah" S.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote

    > Zinn's claim that a worn chain will ruin new sprockets in a single ride makes me wonder about the
    > rest of his "good advice" that he has in his new book that is promoted in this article. It seems
    > this is a book for entertainment filled with myth and lore. A good read in front of the fire on a
    > wintry night.

    He also speaks of $80 chains, perhaps they're reversible by design.

  5. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    That is correct. (But it's only the $80.00 chains that are reversible...) :D

  6. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:kea%[email protected]...
    > Peter Cole wrote:
    > > <[email protected].org> wrote
    > > >
    > > > Zinn's claim that a worn chain will ruin new sprockets in a single ride makes me wonder
    > > > about the rest of his "good advice" that he has in his new book that is promoted in this
    > > > article. It seems this is a book for entertainment filled with myth and lore. A good read in
    front
    > > > of the fire on a wintry night.
    > > He also speaks of $80 chains, perhaps they're reversible by design.
    >

    > That is correct. (But it's only the $80.00 chains that are reversible...) :D

    So ... is it better to buy one $80 chain that is reversible, or two $40 that aren't, or should I
    just go out and buy a $400 Ti chain?

    C.Q.C.

  7. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:30:24 GMT Cipher
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Peter Cole wrote:
    > > <[email protected]> wrote

    > > He also speaks of $80 chains, perhaps they're reversible by design.

    >That is correct. (But it's only the $80.00 chains that are reversible...) :D

    Those would be the new Swiss Moebius chains. They have extra flexibility built into them so that
    they can be installed with a half-twist in the tensionless underside, thus continuously reversing
    themselves.

    Available soon in either left hand or right hand twist versions, depending on your political
    persuasion.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  8. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Jim Adney wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:30:24 GMT Cipher <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Peter Cole wrote:
    >> > <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    >> > He also speaks of $80 chains, perhaps they're reversible by design.
    >

    >>That is correct. (But it's only the $80.00 chains that are reversible...) :D
    >

    > Those would be the new Swiss Moebius chains.

    Designed by Escher, correct?

  9. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:50:30 -0600, Jim Adney <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Those would be the new Swiss Moebius chains. They have extra flexibility built into them so that
    >they can be installed with a half-twist in the tensionless underside, thus continuously reversing
    >themselves.
    >
    >Available soon in either left hand or right hand twist versions, depending on your political
    >persuasion.

    Actually, it's a myth that political persuasion is a factor in determining which twist to buy. It's
    a coriolis effect issue.

    If you get the twist opposite to your coriolis-effected draining water direction, then the chain
    encounters those forces in a harmless perpendicular angle. If you get the other twist, then the
    nearly parallel forces will quickly wear your chain.

    This is why some people don't believe that the moebius design doesn't work...they had it
    twisted wrong.
    --
    Rick Onanian