More on Kivilev

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tritonrider

3/12 ~ Dear readers of LA.com,

I want to tell you a little about Andrei Kivilev... I came to know Andrei quite well over the years
and really admired him and his style. Andrei was unique you see - he was smart, he was perfectly
fluent in English (which I suspect is not normal for a young Kazak), and man was he aggressive. I
loved to race with him because you knew when he was in the race, and when the road went uphill, he
would lay it all out. Man, was he an attacker! He helped me more then he (or anyone) will ever know
- and now he's gone.

After a crash yesterday that seemed to be quite serious, he took a turn for the worst in the night
and passed away this morning. I just got off the phone with Johan who told me the bad news, and I'm
devastated. The other side to this is that I know exactly what his teammates and friends are
feeling. Images and memories of Fabio Casartelli came rushing back. And of course, Andrei rode for
Cofidis, a team which I have enough of a history with. But I can tell you that no matter how ugly
it's been between them and myself, I would never in my life wish this on anyone. No way.

We (Johan and I) tried like hell to get Andrei to come to the team a few years back when he was with
Festina. We lost out on the bidding to AG2R and he slipped away from us. We still talk about him and
wish we could have had him. He was our kind of man. Consistent, tough, hard working, and a very cool
dude. Andrei, I'm gonna miss you my friend. I will look for you at the base of every hard climb I do
now, and I will wish with all my heart that you were there to "light it up" or "open it up" like you
have done so many times in the past. Rest in peace...

Is there an insurance/pension fund to take care of riders who are incapacitated, or thier families
if they are killed? Bill C

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:36:15 +0200, Carinus Lemmer wrote:
>Who is Bill C?

The poster who quoted the story from lancearmstrong.com.

>Who is Bill C?
The poster who quoted the story from lancearmstrong.com.

...and who wrote the article?

"Konrad Hund" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> uhmm, let me guess .... Lance Armstrong?!?
>
Thanks. He takes every damn opportunity to cliam some more fame? Now he's going to be thinking of
the late Kivilev every time he goes up a hill? ********! PR speak as per always.

In all fairness to those that are confused, he did not present it in a way to clearly see what his
source was. "LAcom" has nothing to do with Lance Armstrong or cycling. The articles was\is on the
front page of http://www.lancearmstrong.com in a column named ":: From Lance...".

"Konrad Hund" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Carinus Lemmer" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]...
> > >Who is Bill C?
> > The poster who quoted the story from lancearmstrong.com.
> >
> > ...and who wrote the article?
>
> uhmm, let me guess .... Lance Armstrong?!?
>
> KH

Once again, Lance proves he's the classiest rider out there. Compare to Virenque, who seems to make
stupidity his mission in life. In today's L'Equipe, he explained why he didn't wear a helmet in
yesterday's procession: "Helmets don't help, for example Casartelli was wearing one [wrong!!] and he
died. Anyway, his number was up, he shouldn't even have got out of bed that day."

-ilan

<< Compare to Virenque, who seems to make stupidity his mission in life. In today's L'Equipe, he
explained why he didn't wear a helmet in yesterday's procession: "Helmets don't help, for example
Casartelli was wearing one [wrong!!] and he died. Anyway, his number was up, he shouldn't even have
got out of bed that day." >>

Not only is he clueless and insensitive, Virenque is the poster boy for narcissism, selfishness,
cowardice, cheating, and lying. No wonder the French love and embrace him.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ilan
Vardi) wrote:

> Once again, Lance proves he's the classiest rider out there. Compare to Virenque, who seems to
> make stupidity his mission in life. In today's L'Equipe, he explained why he didn't wear a helmet
> in yesterday's procession: "Helmets don't help, for example Casartelli was wearing one [wrong!!]
> and he died. Anyway, his number was up, he shouldn't even have got out of bed that day."

I translated virenque's quote to say "the only thing that would have saved Casartelli would have
been for him to stay in bed that day".

I don't think Virenque is mean AND dumb.

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:12:39 +0000, chiefhiawatha wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ilan
> Vardi) wrote:
>
>
> I don't think Virenque is mean AND dumb.

I enjoy making fun of Virenque, but I read that it was he who organized the 'no race' on Stage 3.
Sounded pretty classy.

"ArtS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:12:39 +0000, chiefhiawatha wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ilan Vardi)
> > wrote:
> >
> >
> > I don't think Virenque is mean AND dumb.
>
> I enjoy making fun of Virenque, but I read that it was he who organized the 'no race' on Stage 3.
> Sounded pretty classy.

He may be trying to make up for what he said after hearing about Casartelli.

[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >From: [email protected] (chiefhiawatha)
>
> >I translated virenque's quote to say "the only thing that would have saved Casartelli would have
> >been for him to stay in bed that day".
> >
> >I don't think Virenque is mean AND dumb.
>
> Yeah, Ilan brush up on your french before you go making translations here. Bill C

Je ne comprends pas vraiment la difference. De toutes facons, j'ai ecris la traduction de memoire,
je ne voulais pas me deplacer dans l'autre chambre pour prendre L'Equipe. a+

-ilan

[email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> I translated virenque's quote to say "the only thing that would have saved Casartelli would have
> been for him to stay in bed that day".

A more culturally representative translation would be: "th' only thin' thet'd haf saved Casartelly'd
haf been fo' him t'stay in bed thet day"

-ilan

"Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote
> A more culturally representative translation would be: "th' only thin' thet'd haf saved
> Casartelly'd haf been fo' him t'stay in bed thet day"

stood in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.