More on Russ - oh dear

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andy Chequer, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    ---------------

    Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's trouble & strife. have managed
    to extract his password so i could write personally.

    Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have helped
    us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each morning (&
    Jess for those of you with kids!).

    Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he is
    on the whole very positive and we realise how lucky he is to be able to have the use of his arms and
    hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On a less happy note the news is not good. Russ remains
    unable to move or feel anything from the chest down and we have been told that this will be the
    permanent situation due to the severity of the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of him but as
    you know is determined and positive. Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the first time so
    i will let you know how it goes. He is looking forward to lots of visitors and now that he is
    feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!

    From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and waited at
    the hospital til i arrived. It means so much to know that Russ wasn't alone. Am feeling emotional
    again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to meet some of you at the hospital but again

    THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    --------------

    All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.

    Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.

    I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.

    Andy Chequer

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.

    Damn - this kind of thing really gives me a big dose of mortality. I hope for the best for them.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    > ---------------
    >
    > Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's
    trouble
    > & strife. have managed to extract his password so i could write
    personally.

    > Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    > helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    > morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    >
    > Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    > is on the whole very positive and we realise
    how
    > lucky he is to be able to have the use of his arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On
    > a less happy note the news is not good. Russ remains unable to move or feel anything from the
    > chest down and we have been told that this will be the permanent situation due to the severity of
    > the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of him but as you know is determined and positive.
    > Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the first time so i will let you know how it goes. He
    > is looking forward to lots of visitors
    and
    > now that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    >
    > From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and waited
    > at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much
    > know that Russ wasn't alone. Am feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to
    > meet some of you at the hospital but again
    >
    > THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    > --------------
    >
    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Damnit - I hope he and his family all manage to keep their spirits up through this. I don't know the
    guy outside of his posts to this place, but I feel for him - he's certainly put the miles and the
    love into MTB'ing.

    I'm with you on the brave thing Andy - beyond brave I suppose. Incredible.

    My best hopes are with them.

    Shaun aRe - Words just don't do it, do they?

  4. Panda

    Panda Guest

    cant think of anything to say other than good luck russ

    panda

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    > ---------------
    >
    > Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's
    trouble
    > & strife. have managed to extract his password so i could write
    personally.

    > Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    > helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    > morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    >
    > Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    > is on the whole very positive and we realise
    how
    > lucky he is to be able to have the use of his arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On
    > a less happy note the news is not good. Russ remains unable to move or feel anything from the
    > chest down and we have been told that this will be the permanent situation due to the severity of
    > the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of him but as you know is determined and positive.
    > Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the first time so i will let you know how it goes. He
    > is looking forward to lots of visitors
    and
    > now that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    >
    > From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and waited
    > at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much
    > know that Russ wasn't alone. Am feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to
    > meet some of you at the hospital but again
    >
    > THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    > --------------
    >
    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    | ---------------
    |
    | Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's
    trouble
    | & strife. have managed to extract his password so i could write
    personally.

    | Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    | helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    | morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    |
    | Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    | is on the whole very positive and we realise
    how
    | lucky he is to be able to have the use of his arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On
    | a less happy note the news is not good. Russ remains unable to move or feel anything from the
    | chest down and we have been told that this will be the permanent situation due to the severity of
    | the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of him but as you know is determined and positive.
    | Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the first time so i will let you know how it goes. He
    | is looking forward to lots of visitors
    and
    | now that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    |
    | From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and waited
    | at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much
    | know that Russ wasn't alone. Am feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to
    | meet some of you at the hospital but again
    |
    | THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    | --------------
    |
    | All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    | accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    |
    | Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    |
    | I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    | wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    |
    | Andy Chequer

    Certainly makes me feel humble. My thoughts and well wishes go out to Russ and his family.

    Simon........I knew who jess was, must be that I got kids.

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    > ---------------
    >
    > Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's
    trouble
    > & strife. have managed to extract his password so i could write
    personally.

    > Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    > helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    > morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    >
    > Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    > is on the whole very positive and we realise
    how
    > lucky he is to be able to have the use of his arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On
    > a less happy note the news is not good. Russ remains unable to move or feel anything from the
    > chest down and we have been told that this will be the permanent situation due to the severity of
    > the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of him but as you know is determined and positive.
    > Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the first time so i will let you know how it goes. He
    > is looking forward to lots of visitors
    and
    > now that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    >
    > From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and waited
    > at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much
    > know that Russ wasn't alone. Am feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to
    > meet some of you at the hospital but again
    >
    > THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    > --------------
    >
    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    'Oh dear' is right. Very sobering. My prayers are with them. Could we do something to help out like
    a fund raiser for hosp exp or college fund for the kids?

    Mike

  7. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > 'Oh dear' is right. Very sobering. My prayers are with them. Could
    we do
    > something to help out like a fund raiser for hosp exp or college fund
    for
    > the kids?
    >
    > Mike

    I spoke to Heather and Russ this morning. Typical of the man he is even now thinking of others and
    thanking them for their concern.

    WRT fund raising Russ wants everything to go to NAAAS http://www.naaas.co.uk His logic runs along
    the lines of "without them I'd be in a box rather than a wheelchair and a lot of others would be in
    deep too". I can't argue with that. Wheels are in motion to start a fund. As things develop I will
    let everybody know.

    Peter

  8. "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    > ---------------
    >
    > Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's
    trouble
    > & strife. have managed to extract his password so i could write
    personally.

    > Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    > helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    > morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    >
    > Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    > is on the whole very positive and we realise
    how
    > lucky he is to be able to have the use of his arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On
    > a less happy note the news is not good. Russ remains unable to move or feel anything from the
    > chest down and we have been told that this will be the permanent situation due to the severity of
    > the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of him but as you know is determined and positive.
    > Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the first time so i will let you know how it goes. He
    > is looking forward to lots of visitors
    and
    > now that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    >
    > From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and waited
    > at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much
    > know that Russ wasn't alone. Am feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to
    > meet some of you at the hospital but again
    >
    > THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    > --------------
    >
    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Lost for words. I imagine Heather is going through hell. Wishing Russ all the good luck in the
    world, and hoping that by some miracle his injuries aren't permanent.

    Steve E.

  9. Andy Chequer wrote:
    > (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    > ---------------
    >
    > Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's trouble & strife. have managed
    > to extract his password so i could write personally.
    >
    > Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    > helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    > morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    >
    > Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    > is on the whole very positive and we realise how lucky he is to be able to have the use of his
    > arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On a less happy note the news is not good. Russ
    > remains unable to move or feel anything from the chest down and we have been told that this will
    > be the permanent situation due to the severity of the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of
    > him but as you know is determined and positive. Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the
    > first time so i will let you know how it goes. He is looking forward to lots of visitors and now
    > that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    >
    > From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and
    > waited at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much to know that Russ wasn't alone. Am
    > feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to meet some of you at the
    > hospital but again
    >
    > THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    > --------------
    >
    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Oh dear certainly does say it all. My best wishes to Russ and his family, and thankful that Russ is
    still alive.

    Jon Bond

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    > (Posted on uk.rec.cycling by Russ' wife)
    > ---------------
    >
    > Wow this is a first me talking bikes! Hi everyone im Heather Russ's trouble & strife. have managed
    > to extract his password so i could write personally.
    >
    > Russ & I can't thank everyone enough for all the e-mails, cards, discs and support they have
    > helped us through a very difficult 10 days THANKYOU!!!! Russ has got his own Royal Mail Van each
    > morning (& Jess for those of you with kids!).
    >
    > Last night Russ had his first full nights sleep and although tired is feeling in good spirits, he
    > is on the whole very positive and we realise how lucky he is to be able to have the use of his
    > arms and hands when seeing other people at Stoke. On a less happy note the news is not good. Russ
    > remains unable to move or feel anything from the chest down and we have been told that this will
    > be the permanent situation due to the severity of the injury. Russ now has a long haul ahead of
    > him but as you know is determined and positive. Tomorrow he should be getting out of bed for the
    > first time so i will let you know how it goes. He is looking forward to lots of visitors and now
    > that he is feeling stronger i'm sure it won't be long. Will keep you posted!
    >
    > From me personally thank you so much to everyone on the ride who helped Russ, rang me and
    > waited at the hospital til i arrived. It means so much to know that Russ wasn't alone. Am
    > feeling emotional again so i won't go on. Hopefully i will get to meet some of you at the
    > hospital but again
    >
    > THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT

    > --------------
    >
    > All I have to add is poor bugger. An old schoolfriend ended up like this following a motorcycle
    > accident and the idea of it happening to me scares the living shit out of me.
    >
    > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    >
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.

    I've been trying all day to think of words to say that don't sound patronising or full of pity, but
    I'm not sure I can.

    I just feel so sorry for the guy - someone who was so active being struck down and reduced to a
    wheelchair for the rest of his life. As you say, the idea of it happening to me scares the living
    shit out of me.

    I just wish Russ and his family all the best in what must be such a difficult time, and obviously
    all the best for what is going to be a difficult future.

  11. bomba said:

    >I've been trying all day to think of words to say that don't sound patronising or full of pity, but
    >I'm not sure I can.

    My problem as well. I'm not much of a word-smith, but I can say "Get well, Russ - we're
    pulling for you."

    Steve

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip sad news>
    > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.

    Damn straight, they are. Stranger things have happened than a doctor being wrong.

    JD

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

> [...]

    scares
    > > the living shit out of me.
    > >
    > > Hell, I was an emotional wreck when I broke my coccyx FFS.
    > >
    > > I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    > > wanting to sound patronising I think they're
    both
    > > being very brave.
    >
    > I've been trying all day to think of words to say that don't sound patronising or full of pity,
    > but I'm not sure I can.
    >
    > I just feel so sorry for the guy - someone who was so active being struck down and reduced to a
    > wheelchair for the rest of his life. As you say, the idea of it happening to me scares the living
    > shit out of me.
    >
    > I just wish Russ and his family all the best in what must be such a difficult time, and obviously
    > all the best for what is going to be a difficult future.

    This guy kept going after a bad dual slalom wreck. http://www.pbase.com/image/14761714 This was
    taken on the Sport DH course at Snowshoe WV (I stuck it in the wrong folder) just before a 7
    foot rolling drop off a road cut. I'm not really sure of my point other than life goes on if you
    want it to.

    Mike

  14. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... <snip sad news>
    >
    >>I'm sure that everyone here is hoping he manages to get some movement /sensation back. Without
    >>wanting to sound patronising I think they're both being very brave.
    >

    > Damn straight, they are. Stranger things have happened than a doctor being wrong.

    After seeing the progress Christopher Reeves was able to make *years* after his initial injury, I'd
    hesitate to describe any spinal cord injury as total and permanent. I remember reading an interview
    with him in which he described his injury. Apparently his spine was totally severed quite near his
    head. He said that basically, the only thing that kept his head from falling clean off was his neck
    muscles, and the only thing that kept him alive was the people with him who had to sense to initial
    mouth to mouth resucitation, as his paralysis was immediate and total.

    Now he's regaining a good deal of sensation and some motor control after specialized therapy
    supervised by Dr. John McDonald, Department of Neuorology at Washington University Meidcal School,
    located here in St. Louis.

    Where there's life, there's hope.

    Kathleen

  15. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kathleen wrote:

    > Now he's regaining a good deal of sensation and some motor control after specialized therapy
    > supervised by Dr. John McDonald, Department of Neuorology at Washington University Meidcal School,
    > located here in St. Louis.
    >
    > Where there's life, there's hope.

    I've heard more than one story of people with incredible strength of will doing things despite back
    injuries, like walking and moving limbs that they were never supposed to be able to. I never really
    heard anything about Russ before this, but he seems to be the fighting type. He may never really
    mountain bike again, but if he fights all the way, he may yet walk.

    Guys like Russ are the whole reason you should lobby government for more research funding. That sort
    of funding goes to discovering cures for all sorts of things. Who knows, with some luck and hard
    work, maybe Russ'll be back on the bike in a few years with some fancy robot parts in his back. :)

    JS

    --
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code