more on tyres

Paul Jones

Guest
Also,

should I look for a 20mm or 23mm

I'm only 60kg - if weight makes a difference

Paul

"Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Also,
>
> should I look for a 20mm or 23mm
>
> I'm only 60kg - if weight makes a difference
>
> Paul

60kgs????

Mate are you bullemic or 4ft 6in???

Karl aka Stomper

In the normal weight range for my height - at the lower end.

60+% of the male population is overweight remember

Paul

Karl Nixon wrote:

> "Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Also,
> >
> > should I look for a 20mm or 23mm
> >
> > I'm only 60kg - if weight makes a difference
> >
> > Paul
> >

> 60kgs????
>
> Mate are you bullemic or 4ft 6in???
>
> Karl aka Stomper

"Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the normal weight range for my height - at the lower end.
>
> 60+% of the male population is overweight remember
>
> Paul
>
> Karl Nixon wrote:
>
> > "Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Also,
> > >
> > > should I look for a 20mm or 23mm
> > >
> > > I'm only 60kg - if weight makes a difference
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > 60kgs????
> >
> > Mate are you bullemic or 4ft 6in???
> >
> > Karl aka Stomper

Paul

extraordinary statistic you have there on 60+% of population are overweight .... source? (as one
being overweight i can start to believe it - but that high - worldwide?)

Weight alone is not the best measurement (BMI is), however on old charts 60kgs would throw you in
the following height ranges

Small frame - 5'1" - 5'4" Medium frame - up to and including 5'2" Large Frame - much much shorter
than 5'2" not on charts

That's short or grossly underweight

In college I was 6ft and 68kgs - not good - but didn;t think it was so bad then, and would have
defended it. Was told I should have been somewhere around 75-80kgs medium frame (72-77kgs) or large
frame (75-85kgs) - my frame size is closer to large

I have no expertise in this field (based on old mothers tales and old tables mapping ideal weight to
height), and would welcome corrections from somebody educated

True carrying weight is now considered the norm and us skinny people considered freaks.

Paul Jones wrote:
> In the normal weight range for my height - at the lower end.
>
> 60+% of the male population is overweight remember

Thats "adult male". I found that hard to believe, but some googling confirms something close to it,
especially if you exclude those under about 25 yo.

e.g.http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/172_08_170400/donath/donath1.gif

--
make nospam into oz to reply.

"Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the normal weight range for my height - at the lower end.
>
> 60+% of the male population is overweight remember
>
> Paul

Good on you Paul. Us 60kg whippets have got to stand tall. As a 62kg, 5' 11" guy I've always been
the thin man, but doesn't mean I need the term 'bullemic'. I can still get into the old flairs I
wore to my Year 12 formal 28 years ago. I have little problem climbing hills on my bike, as any of
my clubmates can attest to I will usually be one of the first to crest the climb - being on the
underweight side has its advantages.

As for MPD's weight tables, I would expect they are all based on the average, but who says that
someone outside the average should be derided?

Get on your bike and ride.

Cheers Peter

Here is information - based on World Health Organisation.

Ideal BMI = 18.5-25 25-30 = overweight 30+ = obese

There are some problems with this classification. mainly in that a muscular male can be
misclassified as overweight or obese.

Calculated from weight/(height*height) weight in kilograms, height in metres

Therefore - for a height of 178cm the suggested range is 58.6-79.2kg.

As for frame size - I have been measured as in the lowest 5% of the population, therefore - my
weight should be towards the lower end.

Paul

MPD wrote:

> "Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In the normal weight range for my height - at the lower end.
> >
> > 60+% of the male population is overweight remember
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > Karl Nixon wrote:
> >
> > > "Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > 60kgs????
> > >
> > > Mate are you bullemic or 4ft 6in???
> > >
> > > Karl aka Stomper
>
> Paul
>
> extraordinary statistic you have there on 60+% of population are overweight .... source? (as one
> being overweight i can start to believe it - but that high - worldwide?)
>
> Weight alone is not the best measurement (BMI is), however on old charts 60kgs would throw you in
> the following height ranges
>
> Small frame - 5'1" - 5'4" Medium frame - up to and including 5'2" Large Frame - much much shorter
> than 5'2" not on charts
>
> That's short or grossly underweight
>
> In college I was 6ft and 68kgs - not good - but didn;t think it was so bad then, and would have
> defended it. Was told I should have been somewhere around 75-80kgs medium frame (72-77kgs) or
> large frame (75-85kgs) - my frame size is closer to large
>
> I have no expertise in this field (based on old mothers tales and old tables mapping ideal weight
> to height), and would welcome corrections from somebody educated

"Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Here is information - based on World Health Organisation.
>
> Ideal BMI = 18.5-25 25-30 = overweight 30+ = obese
>
> There are some problems with this classification. mainly in that a
muscular male
> can be misclassified as overweight or obese.

BAH...What would the WHO know given their unremarkable containment of SARS!!!!!!

Besides at 6' 1" and 110kgs those BMI charts are clearly wrong!

Karl aka Stomper (muscle-bound or big framed)

> Good on you Paul. Us 60kg whippets have got to stand tall. As a 62kg,
5' 11"

What do you eat and how much exercise do you do in a normal day? I've had 2 months off the bike (1
month being totally indulgent in Japan) and I'm now pushing 100kg clothed!! Mind you, I was never
small build.

I'm back on the roadie now and trying to drop weight. Being 60kg might come in handy climbing hills
but don't get in my way when I'm rushing for a train or something :)

hippy

news:D[email protected]...
> > Good on you Paul. Us 60kg whippets have got to stand tall. As a 62kg,
> 5' 11"
>
> What do you eat

Pretty much what I like :) Light breakfast, sandwiches & fruit for lunch, meat & 3 veg for dinner.
I hardly ever go near Maccas and try to avoid other junk food (but I do like asian takeaway, and
chocolate mmmm, is part of my regular intake)

> and how much exercise do you do in a normal day?

Probably not enough. I walk about a fair bit at work (I'm a teacher) but don't commute by bike due
to scarcity of facilities at work. Usually get out for a decent ride every couple of week - decent
being 60km+ for a day or a 40km+ mtb ride. At the same time I have always managed to maintain a good
fitness for touring and mtb rides, not racing fitness, but always quicker than other riders my own
age (and some quite a few years younger)

> I've had 2 months off the bike (1 month being totally indulgent in Japan) and I'm now pushing
> 100kg clothed!! Mind you, I was never small build.

I'm lucky I guess, that I have a light build. My problem is more to do with not being able to put
weight on, regardless of what I eat. Hardly ever been over 70kg, and about 18 months ago after I had
been off the bike for several months with a busted wrist my weight actually dropped to about 55kg!

> I'm back on the roadie now and trying to drop weight. Being 60kg might come in handy climbing
> hills but don't get in my way when I'm rushing for a train or something :)

I'll keep my ears pricked for the thunder :) I've always thought about my solidly built buddies
who, riding their bikes on a day ride, are probably carrying as much as I would loaded for a camping
tour with 30kg of clothes, tent, stove, food .... THATS when i'm secretly smiling about my weight,
carting the gear up into the Otways or Bogong High Plains.

Cheers Peter

Originally posted by Peter Signorini

Good on you Paul. Us 60kg whippets have got to stand tall. As a 62kg, 5' 11" guy I've always been
the thin man, but doesn't mean I need the term 'bullemic'. I can still get into the old flairs I
wore to my Year 12 formal 28 years ago.[/B]

Mr Signorini, FLAIRS? Oh NOOOOO! Frightening image in my head now...

And there was me think all SOSE teachers had fashion sense! ;)

Etxy

As I said, they can misclassify a more muscular male.

They are based on risk of health according to weight. Diabetes in particular is very strongly
related to that body mass index measure

Paul Jones

Karl Nixon wrote:

> "Paul Jones" <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Here is information - based on World Health Organisation.
> >
> > Ideal BMI = 18.5-25 25-30 = overweight 30+ = obese
> >
> > There are some problems with this classification. mainly in that a
> muscular male
> > can be misclassified as overweight or obese.
> >

> BAH...What would the WHO know given their unremarkable containment of SARS!!!!!!
>
> Besides at 6' 1" and 110kgs those BMI charts are clearly wrong!
>
> Karl aka Stomper (muscle-bound or big framed)

> I'll keep my ears pricked for the thunder :) I've always thought about my solidly built buddies
> who, riding their bikes on a day ride, are probably carrying as much as I would loaded for a
> camping tour with 30kg of clothes, tent, stove, food .... THATS when i'm secretly smiling about my
> weight, carting the gear up into the Otways or Bogong High Plains.

An interesting story I heard on this. Bjarne Riis's coach got him to do a hill session carrying a
5kg weight. When Bjarne came back he said - imagine if you lost that weight off yourself. He went
from being a domestique to being a tour de france champion.

Paul

"Etxy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Peter Signorini wrote:

> Mr Signorini, FLAIRS? Oh NOOOOO! Frightening image in my head now...
>
> And there was me think all SOSE teachers had fashion sense! ;)

No, no, no, calm down. I didn't say I *actually* wear them. They've been hiding in the wardrobe for
years - but one special silly day at school about 4 years ago I was genuinely offered $50 for the
same flairs, by a Year 12 girl. They are evidently now quite fashionable.

It was a 'daggy dress' day. I had the choice of flairs or wearing cycling knicks around (obligatory
cycling reference)

Cheers Peter

Paul Jones wrote:

> As I said, they can misclassify a more muscular male.
>
> They are based on risk of health according to weight. Diabetes in particular is very strongly
> related to that body mass index measure.

Ha,ha,ha. Lies, damm lies and statistics again. Self perpetuating problem really. As someone with
type 2 diabetes who now has to consider using insulin, the medical advice is to hold off as long as
possible because a couple of years after you start, the weight can start piling on.

The problem with all these height/weight things is that they are figures desperately in search of a
scientific justification.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

> An interesting story I heard on this. Bjarne Riis's coach got him to
do a hill
> session carrying a 5kg weight. When Bjarne came back he said - imagine
if you
> lost that weight off yourself. He went from being a domestique to
being a tour
> de france champion.
>
> Paul

I'd like to shed 20kg - that'd be sweet for my climbing! But how do I know what is safe to lose and
over what period of time should I expect to lose it over? Everyone says "don't lose it fast, crash
diets don't work". Is there anything specific to do to shed body fat rather than muscle mass?

Actually, do any of you know good websites for these sort of questions? I don't want fad diet
rubbish, just scientific fact that will help me ride faster ;)

cheers hippy, not THE fat hippy, just A fat hippy :)

.

> > Paul
>
> I'd like to shed 20kg - that'd be sweet for my climbing! But how do I know what is safe to lose
> and over what period of time should I expect to lose it over? Everyone says "don't lose it
> fast, crash diets don't work". Is there anything specific to do to shed body fat rather than
> muscle mass?
>
> Actually, do any of you know good websites for these sort of questions? I don't want fad diet
> rubbish, just scientific fact that will help me ride faster ;)
>
> cheers hippy, not THE fat hippy, just A fat hippy :)

Don't diet Hippy... just train more and eat sensibly.

That's the advise I've been avoiding for years!

Karl aka Stomper

"Karl Nixon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Don't diet Hippy... just train more and eat sensibly.
>
> That's the advise I've been avoiding for years!

I'll second that. Since taking up racing again, I've lost 5kg in six months. I still eat normally
(like a pig) but do somewhere between 150 and 250km each week. If I only do 150km, my weight stays
constant. If I do 250, it drops gradually (and I get faster, to boot).

Regards,

Suzy

--
---
Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

As for how fast to lose it? Two and a half years ago I was 6' 1" and 113 Kgs. On a hot night in
December 2000 we were sitting outside in tee shirts and shorts. My three year old son was sitting
outside on my wife's lap.

Timmy looked at her and said - "You have breasts" "Yes" said Jacinta. Then he looked down at his own
chest and said "Boy's don't have breasts" "No" said Jacinta. The he looked over at me and said
"Daddy's do!"

I was at the Gym the next day. Found a whole new passion for bike riding. Now I am 90 - 92 Kgs and I
have never looked back.

It is safe to lose up to 1.0 Kg a week (as a rough rule of thumb) for someone my size. I lost about
0.5Kgs a week. I didn't stick to any sort of diet. I simply decided that I would eat and exercise as
though I was thin. And hey presto, six months later I was! The only way to keep it off is to decide
to maintain that strategy FOR EVER.

news:[email protected]...