more predictions for 2003 and 2004!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by W.A. Manning, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. W.A. Manning

    W.A. Manning Guest

    i was thinking of this stuff before i'd heard about the lance/kristin thing, but i'll
    still post 'em:

    1. lance will win his 5th TdF and match the grand tour monuments. however, he will face a
    considerable challenge from aitor gonzalez and a resurgent jan ullrich (fluidly spinning his
    gears a la lance armstrong).
    1a. lance will NOT win his 6th TdF. ironically, it will be won by jan ullrich, who, having
    very little racing in his legs for the last few years, comes out properly prepared and as
    fit as '96.
    1b. added after hearing the news...he may simply retire after winning his 5th TdF to focus on
    family and become an even greater hero to many.

    walter

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "w.a. manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i was thinking of this stuff before i'd heard about the
    lance/kristin
    > thing, but i'll still post 'em:
    >
    > 1. lance will win his 5th TdF and match the grand tour monuments. however, he will face a
    > considerable challenge from aitor gonzalez
    and
    > a resurgent jan ullrich (fluidly spinning his gears a la lance armstrong).

    Ullrich will not spin like Lance in any case.

    > 2a. lance will NOT win his 6th TdF. ironically, it will be won by jan ullrich, who, having very
    > little racing in his legs for the last few years, comes out properly prepared and as fit as
    > '96.

    I suggest you look at a picture of Jan circa '96 and one now. It will not be possible for Ullrich to
    get in the climbing shape he was then because his body has changed from a 0% excess body build to a
    German weight lifter. His ultimate power is surely impressive but he will never challenge Lance in a
    form like when he was still a young man. Time moves on.

    > 2b. added after hearing the news...he may simply retire after
    winning
    > his 5th TdF to focus on family and become an even greater hero to many.

    Lance knows as do most cancer survivors that he only gets one chance to make his mark. There is
    plenty of likelihood that his cancer will return because it was so extensive. I think that Lance
    will put his mark indelibly into the record books and I don't think anyone will match his 6 let
    alone surpass it. Lance has been remarkably lucky to have only Jan Ullrich as the only real
    competition and Jan to be so unfocused and juvenile. It isn't likely that these same coincidences
    will occur again.

    In other words, I expect Lance to take the 6th Tour and then retire. Hopefully to die, some day of
    old age and natural causes.