More press reported LA's 140th than BJ's win.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by crit PRO, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. crit PRO

    crit PRO Guest

    Lance gets 140th out of 168 in the 4k prologue, and is covered
    worldwide by the press.

    Booby wins the overall at Paris-Nice, and the Glenwoods Springs paper
    doesn't even cover it. Nobody seems to care.

    Want proof? Go to www.google.com. Click news. Search the above.

    crit PRO

    Tags:

  2. On 13 Mar 2005 20:19:23 -0800, crit PRO wrote:
    > Booby wins the overall at Paris-Nice, and the Glenwoods Springs
    > paper doesn't even cover it.

    So are you saying this is more proof on how unimportant P-N is?

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

  3. bikeguy11968

    bikeguy11968 Guest

    I agree with Critpro. In his own special demented way he was exposing
    the American Media's fascination with ol one nut. And yes, it's a
    fabulous story and an inspiration to us all. But other cyclists are
    accomplishing pretty cool things too. And some of them are american. I
    personally love Andy Hampstens quote identifying himself as "The most
    famous American Cyclist you've never heard of."

  4. Jenko

    Jenko Guest

  5. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

    > On 13 Mar 2005 20:19:23 -0800, crit PRO wrote:
    >
    >>Booby wins the overall at Paris-Nice, and the Glenwoods Springs
    >>paper doesn't even cover it.

    > So are you saying this is more proof on how unimportant P-N is?

    That's exactly what it is. How else do you define importance of a
    professional athletic event in a sport that relies on sponsor exposure
    if not by its media coverage?

    Magilla

  6. On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:48:21 -0500, MagillaGorilla wrote:
    > That's exactly what it is. How else do you define importance of
    > a professional athletic event in a sport that relies on sponsor
    > exposure if not by its media coverage?

    Google News does not index the European papers very well. And stars get
    more coverage in any sport; if he even is a star outside of his sport
    and the sport itself is small, that effect is more obvious. You closet
    LANCE-fan, you.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

  7. PAY ATTENTION now.... it is a complicated subject.

    Crit pro posted on the 13th (that is SUNDAY) on my
    calendar and the Postindependent posted a cute
    little article on the 14th.... so while we'd all
    like to think Critpro is a troll, his comments - when
    made - were valid. kudos to him for proper research
    and a Homer Doh! to those who failed to notice this
    truth and just wanted to slam him....

    But also, give the local newspaper some credit
    as the race ended on Sunday and they did get out a
    story the very next day (wonders if they gave BOOBy
    any props on sat or sunday as he was in the lead?)
    but I really don't care anyway.

    ep

  8. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

    > On 13 Mar 2005 20:19:23 -0800, crit PRO wrote:
    >
    >>Booby wins the overall at Paris-Nice, and the Glenwoods Springs
    >>paper doesn't even cover it.

    > So are you saying this is more proof on how unimportant P-N is?

    There were no foreign journalists in France after day 2. The coverage
    would have been biased.

  9. And CritPro only wishes there was enough class in his legs so he could
    compete somewhere other than a Wal-Mart parking lot. Hey, free slurpees.

    "crit PRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Lance gets 140th out of 168 in the 4k prologue, and is covered
    > worldwide by the press.
    >
    > Booby wins the overall at Paris-Nice, and the Glenwoods Springs paper
    > doesn't even cover it. Nobody seems to care.
    >
    > Want proof? Go to www.google.com. Click news. Search the above.
    >
    > crit PRO

  10. amit

    amit Guest

    Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:
    > And CritPro only wishes there was enough class in his legs so he

    could
    > compete somewhere other than a Wal-Mart parking lot. Hey, free

    slurpees.

    meathead,

    do you even know why you're such a meathead ?

  11. On 13 Mar 2005 20:19:23 -0800, "crit PRO" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lance gets 140th out of 168 in the 4k prologue, and is covered
    >worldwide by the press.
    >
    >Booby wins the overall at Paris-Nice, and the Glenwoods Springs paper
    >doesn't even cover it. Nobody seems to care.
    >
    >Want proof? Go to www.google.com. Click news. Search the above.
    >
    >crit PRO

    It's possible julich got as much wire coverage, but papers will choose
    what they pick up.

    It kind of reminds me of when I was watching some race, probably the
    tour. Phil and Paul were talking about Laurent Fignon, and apparently
    he said he was more popular in France for having LOST the tour by 8
    seconds, than he was for having won it twice! This was to illustrate
    that fans can be fickle, but so can the press!

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:
    >> And CritPro only wishes there was enough class in his legs so he
    >> could compete somewhere other than a Wal-Mart parking lot.
    >> Hey, free slurpees.

    > meathead, do you even know why you're such a meathead ?

    Because some Canadian doofus said so?