more questions

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Phil, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    right got my beer

    what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
    but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
    wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
    and i bet anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L plate?

    brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought a Marin (f*ck me thats
    expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear discs after he had been harping on about the merits
    of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and they are the dogs danglies compared to what i was
    using last weekend. anyway happy riding all

    phil
    :)

    Tags:

  2. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > right got my beer

    As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, piss flavored "drink" for $3.99 a six pack. If you want
    that, I'll piss in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout or porter and I'll send it to
    you. Free, even.

    > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
    > but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
    > wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
    > and i bet anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
    plate?

    If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and riding further forward in the
    saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about the area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your
    elbows down, so you pull back or down on the bars rather than up.

    > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought a Marin (f*ck me thats
    > expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
    discs
    > after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
    > they are the dogs danglies compared to what i was using last weekend. anyway happy riding all

    Disk brakes are where it's at. IMO. Easier to modulate, superior stopping power, and they generally
    work as well wet as dry. Hydraulic disk brakes are even better. But it's expensive stuff which also
    requires compatible frame, fork, and wheels. From the sounds of it, you'd be better off sticking
    with v-brakes for now.

    Have fun tackling that hill.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > right got my beer

    You want some more. Belgian trappist breweries are great...

    > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills?

    Ok, first pointer - as the FAQ says: Peddle - peddling is something you do with drugs, child slaves
    and young sheep. The word you're actually looking for is 'pedal'.

    ...and smiley ;)

    i get in
    > bottom gear but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find
    > is the front wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its
    > actually quite amusing and i bet anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should
    > get an L plate?

    Hmm, most people tend to lose traction over the back. You on the other hand are leaning too far
    back. On hills, it's a matter of balancing your weight to keep the front down and enough pressure on
    the rear wheel. Crouch lower, bend your arms and let the nose of the saddles sit near you 'hole.
    Sounds crude, but it works.

    > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why?

    Ok, you've just bought a Hard Rock. Discs are good, but probably not something you should be
    worrying about right now.

    i ask cos my mate bought a
    > Marin (f*ck me thats expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear discs after he had been
    > harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and they are the dogs
    > danglies compared to what i was using last weekend.

    A decent set of discs'll set you back a similar price to what you paid for your entire bike. V's
    will serve you perfectly well until you get addicted :)

  4. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ewssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > right got my beer
    >
    > As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, piss flavored "drink" for
    $3.99
    > a six pack. If you want that, I'll piss in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout or
    > porter and I'll send it to you. Free, even.
    >
    > > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get
    in
    > > bottom gear but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find
    > > is the front wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually
    > > quite amusing and i
    bet
    > > anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
    > plate?
    >
    > If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and riding further forward in the
    > saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about the area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your
    > elbows down, so you pull back or down on the bars rather than up.
    >
    > > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought
    > > Marin (f*ck me thats expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
    > discs
    > > after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
    > > they are the dogs danglies compared to what i
    was
    > > using last weekend. anyway happy riding all
    > >

    > Disk brakes are where it's at. IMO. Easier to modulate, superior stopping power, and they
    > generally work as well wet as dry. Hydraulic disk brakes
    are
    > even better. But it's expensive stuff which also requires compatible
    frame,
    > fork, and wheels. From the sounds of it, you'd be better off sticking with v-brakes for now.
    >
    > Have fun tackling that hill.
    >
    > --
    >
    > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    > --

    stella (wife beater) artois

    aye the funny thing with my mates hyd brakes was that he couldnt quite get the hang of feathering
    them. they were either on or off. mind you this was on the way back from the shop. passed a ruddy
    great hill and a car park so we decided to go up it on our new purchases. hehe. we have to get used
    to riding a new bike. ill keep you informed.

    phil

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    FlyingCoyote wrote:
    > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>right got my beer
    >

    > As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, piss flavored "drink" for $3.99 a six pack. If you
    > want that, I'll piss in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout or porter and I'll
    > send it to you. Free, even.
    >

    >>what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
    >>but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
    >>wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
    >>and i bet anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
    >
    > plate?
    >
    > If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and riding further forward in the
    > saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about the area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your
    > elbows down, so you pull back or down on the bars rather than up.

    To this, I'd also add: pedal even circles. If you pump down hard, you'll lose traction, spin the
    tire and you're stopped when your pedal hits bottom. If you only pump, you have to go faster to
    handle the times between power stokes and this takes more effort.

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > right got my beer
    > >
    > > As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, piss flavored "drink" for
    > $3.99
    > > a six pack. If you want that, I'll piss in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout
    > > or porter and I'll send it to you. Free, even.
    > >
    > > > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i
    get
    > in
    > > > bottom gear but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find
    > > > is the front wheel tends to lift off the
    ground
    > > > which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing and i
    > bet
    > > > anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
    > > plate?
    > >
    > > If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and
    riding
    > > further forward in the saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about
    the
    > > area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your elbows down, so you pull
    back
    > > or down on the bars rather than up.
    > >
    > > > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate
    bought
    > > > Marin (f*ck me thats expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
    > > discs
    > > > after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
    > > > they are the dogs danglies compared to what i
    > was
    > > > using last weekend. anyway happy riding all
    > > >

    > > Disk brakes are where it's at. IMO. Easier to modulate, superior
    stopping
    > > power, and they generally work as well wet as dry. Hydraulic disk brakes
    > are
    > > even better. But it's expensive stuff which also requires compatible
    > frame,
    > > fork, and wheels. From the sounds of it, you'd be better off sticking
    with
    > > v-brakes for now.
    > >
    > > Have fun tackling that hill.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    > > --
    > >

    > stella (wife beater) artois
    >
    > aye the funny thing with my mates hyd brakes was that he couldnt quite get the hang of feathering
    > them. they were either on or off. mind you this
    was
    > on the way back from the shop. passed a ruddy great hill and a car park
    so
    > we decided to go up it on our new purchases. hehe. we have to get used
    > riding a new bike. ill keep you informed.
    >
    > phil

    Disks generally take a bit of time to 'bed' in. 30 odd good hard stops wears the brake pads and gets
    them working properly. He may have been having a problem because of that.

    As for the hill climbing - there's no really magic answer for that. Practice makes a big difference.
    And as the other guys have said, get your weight forward so that more of it goes on the front wheel.
    You might want to drop the pressure in your tyres a bit too. That'll help give you more traction.
    It's all a bit of a balancing act at times trying to get the right placement for your weight so that
    you keep traction at the rear but stop the front from coming up at you!
    --
    Westie

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Phil <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > right got my beer
    >
    > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
    > but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
    > wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
    > and i bet anyone wtaching me piss themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
    plate?

    Heh - right, low gear, spin (fast smooth pedaling), keep your weight centre/forward centre. The
    steeper the grade, the further forward. Watch you don't lose traction by being too far forward - the
    smooth pedaling helps here. Sometimes, you literally have to hunker down over the bars, and have the
    nose of the saddle up yer arse crack to get the right balance.

    You may have to shift your weight forward and back during the climb to keep the front down and back
    in traction - don't lock your position - stay fluid and keep at it.

    > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought a Marin (f*ck me thats
    > expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
    discs
    > after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
    > they are the dogs danglies compared to what i was using last weekend. anyway happy riding all

    V brakes are great - good ones, properly set up rock.....in the right conditions. For wet and muddy
    conditions, I much prefer discs - no waiting for the wheel rims to scrape clean/dry before the
    brakes are effective. Also, I find the braking forces much easier to control (modulate) with discs -
    lever pressure needed for a good amount of braking force is much less, and it's easy to gently
    'feel' how much is needed.

    I like my Hope hydraulic disc (front), and would buy one for the back, money permitting, over cable
    ones, however, some here have had excellent results from Avid's mechanical (cable) discs .

    HTH!

    Shaun aRe