more questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil

right got my beer

what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
and i bet anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L plate?

brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought a Marin (f*ck me thats
expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear discs after he had been harping on about the merits
of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and they are the dogs danglies compared to what i was
using last weekend. anyway happy riding all

phil
:)

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> right got my beer

As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, **** flavored "drink" for $3.99 a six pack. If you want
that, I'll **** in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout or porter and I'll send it to
you. Free, even.

> what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
> but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
> wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
> and i bet anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
plate?

If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and riding further forward in the
saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about the area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your
elbows down, so you pull back or down on the bars rather than up.

> brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought a Marin (f*ck me thats
> expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
discs
> after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
> they are the dogs danglies compared to what i was using last weekend. anyway happy riding all
>

Disk brakes are where it's at. IMO. Easier to modulate, superior stopping power, and they generally
work as well wet as dry. Hydraulic disk brakes are even better. But it's expensive stuff which also
requires compatible frame, fork, and wheels. From the sounds of it, you'd be better off sticking
with v-brakes for now.

Have fun tackling that hill.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

Phil wrote:
> right got my beer

You want some more. Belgian trappist breweries are great...

> what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills?

Ok, first pointer - as the FAQ says: Peddle - peddling is something you do with drugs, child slaves
and young sheep. The word you're actually looking for is 'pedal'.

...and smiley ;)

i get in
> bottom gear but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find
> is the front wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its
> actually quite amusing and i bet anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should
> get an L plate?

Hmm, most people tend to lose traction over the back. You on the other hand are leaning too far
back. On hills, it's a matter of balancing your weight to keep the front down and enough pressure on
the rear wheel. Crouch lower, bend your arms and let the nose of the saddles sit near you 'hole.
Sounds crude, but it works.

> brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why?

Ok, you've just bought a Hard Rock. Discs are good, but probably not something you should be
worrying about right now.

i ask cos my mate bought a
> Marin (f*ck me thats expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear discs after he had been
> harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and they are the dogs
> danglies compared to what i was using last weekend.

A decent set of discs'll set you back a similar price to what you paid for your entire bike. V's
will serve you perfectly well until you get addicted :)

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > right got my beer
>
> As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, **** flavored "drink" for
$3.99
> a six pack. If you want that, I'll **** in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout or
> porter and I'll send it to you. Free, even.
>
> > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get
in
> > bottom gear but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find
> > is the front wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually
> > quite amusing and i
bet
> > anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
> plate?
>
> If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and riding further forward in the
> saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about the area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your
> elbows down, so you pull back or down on the bars rather than up.
>
> > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought
a
> > Marin (f*ck me thats expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
> discs
> > after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
> > they are the dogs danglies compared to what i
was
> > using last weekend. anyway happy riding all
> >
>
> Disk brakes are where it's at. IMO. Easier to modulate, superior stopping power, and they
> generally work as well wet as dry. Hydraulic disk brakes
are
> even better. But it's expensive stuff which also requires compatible
frame,
> fork, and wheels. From the sounds of it, you'd be better off sticking with v-brakes for now.
>
> Have fun tackling that hill.
>
> --
>
> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
> --
>
>

stella (wife beater) artois

aye the funny thing with my mates hyd brakes was that he couldnt quite get the hang of feathering
them. they were either on or off. mind you this was on the way back from the shop. passed a ruddy
great hill and a car park so we decided to go up it on our new purchases. hehe. we have to get used
to riding a new bike. ill keep you informed.

phil

FlyingCoyote wrote:
> "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>right got my beer
>
>
> As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, **** flavored "drink" for $3.99 a six pack. If you
> want that, I'll **** in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout or porter and I'll
> send it to you. Free, even.
>
>
>>what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
>>but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
>>wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
>>and i bet anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
>
> plate?
>
> If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and riding further forward in the
> saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about the area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your
> elbows down, so you pull back or down on the bars rather than up.

To this, I'd also add: pedal even circles. If you pump down hard, you'll lose traction, spin the
tire and you're stopped when your pedal hits bottom. If you only pump, you have to go faster to
handle the times between power stokes and this takes more effort.

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > right got my beer
> >
> > As long as it's not a mass brewed, domestic, **** flavored "drink" for
> $3.99
> > a six pack. If you want that, I'll **** in an old tin can after I'm done drinking a good stout
> > or porter and I'll send it to you. Free, even.
> >
> > > what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i
get
> in
> > > bottom gear but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find
> > > is the front wheel tends to lift off the
ground
> > > which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing and i
> bet
> > > anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
> > plate?
> >
> > If your front wheel is lifting then try leaning further forward and
riding
> > further forward in the saddle (put the nose of the saddle right about
the
> > area of your t'aint). And, try pointing your elbows down, so you pull
back
> > or down on the bars rather than up.
> >
> > > brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate
bought
> a
> > > Marin (f*ck me thats expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
> > discs
> > > after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
> > > they are the dogs danglies compared to what i
> was
> > > using last weekend. anyway happy riding all
> > >
> >
> > Disk brakes are where it's at. IMO. Easier to modulate, superior
stopping
> > power, and they generally work as well wet as dry. Hydraulic disk brakes
> are
> > even better. But it's expensive stuff which also requires compatible
> frame,
> > fork, and wheels. From the sounds of it, you'd be better off sticking
with
> > v-brakes for now.
> >
> > Have fun tackling that hill.
> >
> > --
> >
> > FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
> > --
> >
> >
>
> stella (wife beater) artois
>
> aye the funny thing with my mates hyd brakes was that he couldnt quite get the hang of feathering
> them. they were either on or off. mind you this
was
> on the way back from the shop. passed a ruddy great hill and a car park
so
> we decided to go up it on our new purchases. hehe. we have to get used
to
> riding a new bike. ill keep you informed.
>
> phil
>

Disks generally take a bit of time to 'bed' in. 30 odd good hard stops wears the brake pads and gets
them working properly. He may have been having a problem because of that.

As for the hill climbing - there's no really magic answer for that. Practice makes a big difference.
And as the other guys have said, get your weight forward so that more of it goes on the front wheel.
You might want to drop the pressure in your tyres a bit too. That'll help give you more traction.
It's all a bit of a balancing act at times trying to get the right placement for your weight so that
you keep traction at the rear but stop the front from coming up at you!
--
Westie

Phil <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> right got my beer
>
> what first? i know, is there a technique for peddling up steep stoney hills? i get in bottom gear
> but still manage to fall off. im thinking its a matter of balance, but what i find is the front
> wheel tends to lift off the ground which causes me to lose my balance. its actually quite amusing
> and i bet anyone wtaching me **** themselves laughing. maybe i should get an L
plate?

Heh - right, low gear, spin (fast smooth pedaling), keep your weight centre/forward centre. The
steeper the grade, the further forward. Watch you don't lose traction by being too far forward - the
smooth pedaling helps here. Sometimes, you literally have to hunker down over the bars, and have the
nose of the saddle up yer **** crack to get the right balance.

You may have to shift your weight forward and back during the climb to keep the front down and back
in traction - don't lock your position - stay fluid and keep at it.

> brakes. discs. cable or pneumatic? and why? i ask cos my mate bought a Marin (f*ck me thats
> expensive) bike today with fs and front and rear
discs
> after he had been harping on about the merits of discs. ive only just upgraded to V brakes and
> they are the dogs danglies compared to what i was using last weekend. anyway happy riding all

V brakes are great - good ones, properly set up rock.....in the right conditions. For wet and muddy
conditions, I much prefer discs - no waiting for the wheel rims to scrape clean/dry before the
brakes are effective. Also, I find the braking forces much easier to control (modulate) with discs -
lever pressure needed for a good amount of braking force is much less, and it's easy to gently
'feel' how much is needed.

I like my Hope hydraulic disc (front), and would buy one for the back, money permitting, over cable
ones, however, some here have had excellent results from Avid's mechanical (cable) discs .

HTH!

Shaun aRe

Status
Not open for further replies.