More ranting in the press

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Resound, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    I'm amazed nobody's picked up on this one yet:

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/06/14/1149964604277.html

    There's a contact email too: [email protected]

    I spotted it this morning but it's been madness here today so I've just found time to scratch myself. Got to love the last sentence though:

    "The road is not there to share. It is for cars. Footpaths are for pedestrians. And bike paths are for bikes, if there is any room left."

    I honestly wonder whether this is a troll in print.

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  3. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
  4. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    There is no need to wonder - Ms Devine likes to see her name in print. Ignore it and it _should_ go away.

  5. Euan

    Euan Guest

  6. Wally

    Wally Guest

    I love the article. Esp this bit;

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

  8. cogcontrol

    cogcontrol New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2004
    The bike as COOL! Now available here http://www.bicyclesforever.com.au/ every one should own one of these. When bicycles take over the world these will dominate through sheer numbers. In India one Hero bicycle is produces every 9 seconds.

    CC

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Now in a new improved lite-weight model! Only 20kg of real steel!

  10. dewatf

    dewatf Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:52:16 GMT, Euan wrote:

    > Of course it's a troll.

    It's an op-ed piece and she is paid to write articles that attack the usual
    positions of the leftwing media, e.g. Elizabeth Farrelly writing in the
    same paper (the Age in Melbourne doesn't even bother to consider non left
    wing opinions on its op-ed page so it probably comes as shock to
    Melbournians). It is just an opinion, she can hold one if she wants.

    Her facts are correct and she will argue rationally. Though she very
    selective about which facts she uses as it makes it easier to write columns
    that attract attention.

    Bikeplan 2010 was a political stunt. The Carr Government promised a $250m
    intergrated cycling system to buy Green votes in Marrackville. All the
    funding and work was pushed off 20 years into the future and what was built
    was generally a complete debacle and waste of money.

    For example the latest on the Rhodes to Macquarie Park cycle route that was
    promised by 2004 (IIRC, though the RTA has buried the plan so you can't
    download it anymore to check) is that the section along the railway from
    Meadowbank to Eastwood was abandoned by the RTA last year under Costa since
    the NSW Government is going broke. The section linking the Shrimpton Creek
    section south to Quarry St isn't going that well either. One block's worth
    has just about been finished, after over a year spent on construction. The
    next block has been cancelled, after RTA funding was secured, by Ryde
    Council because the local residents protested. They have managed to get the
    easement it was going to run through fenced off to keep other people out
    and protect their privacy.

    And of course if Ryde Council would fix up all the chicanes, speed bumps
    and other traffic pacifying devices then the roads would be fine to cycle
    on anyway.

    Cycle lanes through Lane Cove and along William St were used as an excuse
    to shut down lanes and stop cars using public roads. The Williams St
    closures managed to completely screw up access to the Eastern CBD from the
    Eastern Suburbs (a business I work there whose customers come mostly from
    the Eastern Suburbs lost 25% of its business and is going bust as a
    result). The Government has now been forced to remove the cycle lanes,
    which will cost taxpayers tens of millions of dollars in compensation to
    the Cross City Tunnel operators.

    The cycle lanes through Lane Cove seem particularly useless because it is
    bad place to cycle through and the Government appears to have abandoned the
    sections from Wicks Road to Lane Cove and Lane Cove to the Harbour Bridge.

    It has also been revealed the Government had the Lane Cove tunnel include a
    two lane section heading East (the operators wanted 3) to deliberately stop
    people driving to the CBD.

    They also are forcing motorists to pay for a cycleway on the M7, one that
    goes up and down and winds back and forth, is shared with pedestrians who
    have right of way. Instead everyone cycles on the shoulder, across all the
    exit ramps, which will probably result in lots of cyclists being severely
    injured costing the community lots.

    It's all fairly typical of the infrastructure planning of the Carr-Iemma
    government: pander to lots of competing special interest groups and then
    blame the media when the spin spins out of control.

    dewatf.

  11. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    dewatf wrote:

    > Her facts are correct

    lol

    >and she will argue rationally.

    ROTFLMPO.

  12. Euan

    Euan Guest

    dewatf wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:52:16 GMT, Euan wrote:
    >
    >> Of course it's a troll.

    > Her facts are correct and she will argue rationally.

    Will she? Look forward to that day. Her piece was utter garbage, full
    of ad homien attacks with no logical structure. I learnt more about the
    politics of road engineering from your post than I did from Miranda's
    rantings.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  13. dewatf

    dewatf Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:44:45 GMT, Euan wrote:

    > Will she? Look forward to that day. Her piece was utter garbage, full
    > of ad homien attacks with no logical structure. I learnt more about the
    > politics of road engineering from your post than I did from Miranda's
    > rantings.

    Email her and you will find her reasonable.

    There is just as much left wing ranting from Adele Horin etc. in the
    opinion pages of the SMH and Age. That seems to be more an issue of what
    op-ed is about, its supposed to inflame people and fill the letter's page.
    The SMH will publish procycling stuff of Farrelly and Putcher, but will
    also run Duffy and Devine procar pieces.

    Writers who can put out one or two columns of that stuff week are higly
    valued by the paper (and they pay them a fortune (I did some work on the
    Fairfax superannuation account). They aren't experts in what they write
    about (for that they get pieces by indepedants that they only pay $800-1000
    for but which people are happy to supply because it gives them a platform
    for their opinions).

    dewatf.

  14. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    They could save themselves a lot of money by lifting snippets from Usenet.

  15. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    ***canned laughter***

  16. dewatf

    dewatf Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:48:09 +1000, EuanB wrote:

    > They could save themselves a lot of money by lifting snippets from
    > Usenet.

    Then they don't hold copyright and could be infringing it.

    What they do is start blogs so their their readers provide the content for
    free, however, the signal to noise ratio has been too low and there have
    been serious defamation and abuse issues. Thus they need to be moderated,
    which is labour intensive and makes them editorially responsible.

    In the mean time independant blogs are gaining more and more influence.

    dewatf.

  17. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:

    > dewatf Wrote:
    > >
    > > Email her and you will find her reasonable.

    > ***canned laughter***

    Someone has not paid enough attention...

    Tam

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:

    > dewatf Wrote:
    > >
    > > Email her and you will find her reasonable.

    > ***canned laughter***

    Someone has not paid enough attention...

    Tam

  19. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > cogcontrol Wrote:
    > > The bike as COOL! Now available here http://www.bicyclesforever.com.au/
    > > every one should own one of these. When bicycles take over the world
    > > these will dominate through sheer numbers. In India one Hero bicycle is
    > > produces every 9 seconds.
    > >
    > > CC
    > >

    > Now in a new improved lite-weight model! Only 20kg of real steel!

    heh. We host their website :)

    Clunky, huh?

  20. Bleve

    Bleve Guest