More Rohloff Speedhub Advice Sought

Jeff Grippe

Guest
Would you advise for or against buying one on ebay?

Sometimes (like now) you see one listed that says "New but over 2 years old
so there is no factory warranty". Is this important? Are they known to fail
and need replacing?

As it turns out the ebay price is often only a little less than the retail
price although I have seen them go on ebay for under $700 but that is not
the usual price.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Grippe wrote:
> Would you advise for or against buying one on ebay?
>
> Sometimes (like now) you see one listed that says "New but over 2 years old
> so there is no factory warranty". Is this important? Are they known to fail
> and need replacing?
>
> As it turns out the ebay price is often only a little less than the retail
> price although I have seen them go on ebay for under $700 but that is not
> the usual price.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

I don't recommend buying a Rohloff Speedhub without a warranty on eBay.
Many of the Rohloff hubs made over two years ago ended up needing their
seals replaced under warranty due to oil leakage. They went to a new
seal design for 2004 which is much less likely to leak and also has
less friction. These seals can be retrofitted but if not done under
warranty there would be the cost of the new seals (possibly bearings as
well) plus labour.

Zach