More speed/power sitting up

pedrotheb

Feb 28, 2007
While I was struggling somewhat to keep up with a group ride, I sat up (no hands) to grab something from my rear pocket. As I did, even though I was no longer in an aerodynamic position, my pedal stroke seemed more powerful, and it was easier to keep up with the group. I tried it a few more times that day with the same results...Any ideas as to why??

Thanks, P.

When I did alot of L2 and very little targeted training in the higher intensities like L4,6 and 7 my core strength was low and I ussually prefered a more upright position.

pedrotheb said:
While I was struggling somewhat to keep up with a group ride, I sat up (no hands) to grab something from my rear pocket. As I did, even though I was no longer in an aerodynamic position, my pedal stroke seemed more powerful, and it was easier to keep up with the group. I tried it a few more times that day with the same results...Any ideas as to why??

Thanks, P.

pedrotheb said:

Thanks, P.
That weird. Get your position right on the bike. Maybe your stem is too short or long or maybe your too low.

Learn to put power down on the hoods and the drops because thats where you want to be when you need to put some force down.

send us a pic of you in your riding position on the hoods and drops...might be an obvious answer once we see that.

pedrotheb said:

Thanks, P.

Air drag is reduced when drafting, so riding the hoods can indeed be better than the drops. You can also go up hills faster this way (sitting up).

-bikeguy

pedrotheb said:
I do it on trainer sometimes, but the effect lasts for 10-30 sec. Probably temporary relief for muscles.