"More than 1200 bicycles stollen every day"

On Feb 17, 4:46 am, Will Cove <[email protected]> wrote:
> Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:53n0t1F1t5l2sU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
> > Was it this?

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNTq3nhuh0

> Nope - but it does prove exactly the same point. The unbelievable bit in
> your video for me was the cop who said, "Excuse me sir, you can't be doing
> that in an active lane." when the thief attacked the lock with a hammer and
> chisel. He wasn't concerned that the guy was trying to "steal" a bike, just
> that he was getting in the way of the cars while doing it.

The thing is that in none of the "thefts" did the man look guilty,
furtive or so on. And, he was doing it in the middle of the day,
well, actually fairly early in the morning. Ergo he must be just an
honest cyclist who has a problem with a lock.

Now if he was trying this at 3:00 A.M. there might have been another
response, at least by the police.

I, once, did use a grinder to cut the lock off my bike and no one
complained but I was in the apartment building driveway and presumably
the neighbours recognized me. On the other hand, we did have about
20,000 civil servants who worked around the area, some of whom might
have noticed me but not recognized me.

In a lot of cases it is just a matter of looking like you belong there
and are doing something reasonable. We had someone shoplift a canoe
from a local dept store years ago. My assumption is that any one
watching simply decided that if someone (or some two) are carrying a
canoe out the door in the middle of the afternoon then it is okay.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

John Kane wrote:
> On Feb 17, 4:46 am, Will Cove <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:53n0t1F1t5l2sU1
>>@mid.individual.net:
>>

>>>Was it this?

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNTq3nhuh0

>>Nope - but it does prove exactly the same point. The unbelievable bit in
>>your video for me was the cop who said, "Excuse me sir, you can't be doing
>>that in an active lane." when the thief attacked the lock with a hammer and
>>chisel. He wasn't concerned that the guy was trying to "steal" a bike, just
>>that he was getting in the way of the cars while doing it.

> The thing is that in none of the "thefts" did the man look guilty,
> furtive or so on. And, he was doing it in the middle of the day,
> well, actually fairly early in the morning. Ergo he must be just an
> honest cyclist who has a problem with a lock.
>
> Now if he was trying this at 3:00 A.M. there might have been another
> response, at least by the police.
>
> I, once, did use a grinder to cut the lock off my bike and no one
> complained but I was in the apartment building driveway and presumably
> the neighbours recognized me. On the other hand, we did have about
> 20,000 civil servants who worked around the area, some of whom might
> have noticed me but not recognized me.
>
> In a lot of cases it is just a matter of looking like you belong there
> and are doing something reasonable. We had someone shoplift a canoe
> from a local dept store years ago. My assumption is that any one
> watching simply decided that if someone (or some two) are carrying a
> canoe out the door in the middle of the afternoon then it is okay.
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

It's all about body language and visual perception presentation. If you
look wrong your going to get challenged.

Sniper8052

John Kane <[email protected]> wrote:

> In a lot of cases it is just a matter of looking like you belong there
> and are doing something reasonable. We had someone shoplift a canoe
> from a local dept store years ago. My assumption is that any one
> watching simply decided that if someone (or some two) are carrying a
> canoe out the door in the middle of the afternoon then it is okay.

When I was an impoverished student building a hifi system I wanted to
make a speaker cabinet out of a big ceramic section of understreet
drainpipe. As luck would have it, within a mile of my house there were
some roadworks with piles of just the right kind of pipe. So my friend
and I went out in the middle of the night to steal one.

We had a terrible time, chased all over the place by police. If they
hadn't eaten so many doughnuts over the years they probably would have
caught us.

We decided that our mistake was in behaving suspiciously like
thieves. So the next day, in the middle of the morning rush hour, we
donned filthy workies' dungarees, marched up to the pile, heaved a
drain pipe over our shoulders, and walked it home through the
crowds. No problems at all :)

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Buck <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-02-16 22:02:28 +0000, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> said:

>> On Feb 16, 9:23 am, Peter Fox
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> ...Stollen...

>> mmmmn, cake
>>
>> igmc
>> james

> I heard one the radio they did an experiment locking up bikes in
> various cities and
> most were stolen within two hours.

Typical bloody car drivers. No clue at all about bicycles.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Feb 18, 3:28 am, "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
> > On Feb 17, 4:46 am, Will Cove <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:53n0t1F1t5l2sU1
> >>@mid.individual.net:

> >>Nope - but it does prove exactly the same point. The unbelievable bit in
> >>your video for me was the cop who said, "Excuse me sir, you can't be doing
> >>that in an active lane." when the thief attacked the lock with a hammer and
> >>chisel. He wasn't concerned that the guy was trying to "steal" a bike, just
> >>that he was getting in the way of the cars while doing it.

> > The thing is that in none of the "thefts" did the man look guilty,
> > furtive or so on. And, he was doing it in the middle of the day,
> > well, actually fairly early in the morning. Ergo he must be just an
> > honest cyclist who has a problem with a lock.

> > Now if he was trying this at 3:00 A.M. there might have been another
> > response, at least by the police.

> > I, once, did use a grinder to cut the lock off my bike and no one
> > complained but I was in the apartment building driveway and presumably
> > the neighbours recognized me. On the other hand, we did have about
> > 20,000 civil servants who worked around the area, some of whom might
> > have noticed me but not recognized me.

> > In a lot of cases it is just a matter of looking like you belong there
> > and are doing something reasonable. We had someone shoplift a canoe
> > from a local dept store years ago. My assumption is that any one
> > watching simply decided that if someone (or some two) are carrying a
> > canoe out the door in the middle of the afternoon then it is okay.

> > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

> It's all about body language and visual perception presentation. If you
> look wrong your going to get challenged.
>
> Sniper8052

You're not supposed to give away company secrets :)

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada