More than a 12k dream?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kraig Willett, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. At the following link is a story about Luca Segato (1997 McClane Pacific Criterium winner??). A jury
    was convinced that he had the potential to live the 12k (USD) dream, for 40+ years.

    http://tinyurl.com/3qum

    --
    ==================
    Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

    Tags:

  2. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:19:17 GMT, "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >At the following link is a story about Luca Segato (1997 McClane Pacific Criterium winner??). A
    >jury was convinced that he had the potential to live the 12k (USD) dream, for 40+ years.
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/3qum

    Remember this is in Canadian dollars - so 800K CDN equals what, $14 US...

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  3. "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > At the following link is a story about Luca Segato (1997 McClane Pacific Criterium winner??). A
    > jury was convinced that he had the potential to live the 12k (USD) dream, for 40+ years.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3qum

    I saw that on nwracereport.com. I can't believe the guy got that kind of money. From why I can tell,
    we was 8 years of struggling in mediocrity (strong local racer) when the incident happened. It's not
    like he was the next thing, he was 25+ or something. More power to the guy so he can go finish his
    degree in "kinesiology" at UBC, and of coarse I would never want to trade positions and have to go
    through all that, but it seems a little excessive.

    If I'm right, I think he also won the crit at Mutual of Enumclaw stage race this year, and went off
    the front in the RR for 4 of 8 laps. From the sounds of it, he's pretty much back to his same level
    as he was before the crash.

  4. Suz

    Suz Guest

    > If I'm right, I think he also won the crit at Mutual of Enumclaw stage race this year, and went
    > off the front in the RR for 4 of 8 laps. From the sounds of it, he's pretty much back to his same
    > level as he was before the crash.

    Yup, you're right: (Snipped from
    http://www.nwracereport.com/race_coverage/race_coverage_road/enum02_p12_2.ht
    m )"....However, Part One International rider Luca Segato came around Bettinger for the what
    appeared to be an easy win-Bettinger was a bike length behind in second; Seattle Super Squadra
    rider Ian Tubbs got up for third and Stevenson rolled across well inside the pack.

    When asked by announcer Duke Anderson for a run down on how the race transpired, oddly, Segato
    responded, "Enumclaw has the best looking girls!" Which brought on rousing applauds by the
    spectators who lined the home stretch of the course.

    The next day in the road race, Segato's focus shifted back to winning bike races. He and Ashmead
    College rider Chad Nikolz made a break for it in the false flat after the first run up the big climb
    called Mud Mountain - the only climb on the course, but a big one at almost three kilometers in
    length with several steep sections.

    Segato's pace was too much for Nikolz, who was shelled on the climb the second time over. Segato
    went on to ride another lap alone before being caught the third time up the hill...."

    -Suz

    p.s... Hi Andrew!

  5. [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > So, this affirms my statement that the guy has gotten back to about where he was a couple years
    > ago. When I read that story, I did a quick google (from
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jun99/beauce993.html) on his results. Looking briefly for
    > results, I find him on Nutri-Fig in 99 at de Beauce.
    >
    > 76. Luca Segato (Can) Nutra-Fig 35.31.
    >
    > Now, granted that's 35 min down on Levi Leipheimer, and I'm not sure that 35 min down on GC is
    > that bad, but the guys around him certainly aren't names that have pulled in $807k since then for
    > their pro cycling exploits:

    I am among the amazed that Luca Segato got $800k in his lawsuit, but your argument holds no water.
    Luca is a sprinter. You are comparing his GC result. GC is irrelevant for a sprinter. When is the
    last time Mario Cippolini did well on GC in a hard stage race? Is he overpaid too? If you want to do
    some research to prove that he didn't deserve the money, look at his results in sprinter type races.

    Kevin Metcalfe [email protected] Pleasant Hill, CA

  6. Amit

    Amit Guest

    [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message

    > So, this affirms my statement that the guy has gotten back to about where he was a couple years
    > ago. When I read that story, I did a quick google (from
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jun99/beauce993.html) on his results. Looking briefly for
    > results, I find him on Nutri-Fig in 99 at de Beauce.
    >
    > 76. Luca Segato (Can) Nutra-Fig 35.31.
    >
    > Now, granted that's 35 min down on Levi Leipheimer, and I'm not sure that 35 min down on GC is
    > that bad, but the guys around him certainly aren't names that have pulled in $807k since then for
    > their pro cycling exploits:

    This was (I think ?) after his injury. He wasn't riding at his potential here. He was a junior
    prodigy and it would be reasonable to think he could've raced as a N.American based pro for 8-10
    yrs. He might be riding well (for an amateur) now, but he basically lost his shot at making it as a
    pro. A better comparison might be someone like Mark Walters.

    -Amit

  7. [email protected] (Kevin Metcalfe) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > So, this affirms my statement that the guy has gotten back to about where he was a couple years
    > > ago. When I read that story, I did a quick google (from
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jun99/beauce993.html) on his results. Looking briefly
    > > for results, I find him on Nutri-Fig in 99 at de Beauce.
    > >
    > > 76. Luca Segato (Can) Nutra-Fig 35.31.
    > >
    > > Now, granted that's 35 min down on Levi Leipheimer, and I'm not sure that 35 min down on GC is
    > > that bad, but the guys around him certainly aren't names that have pulled in $807k since then
    > > for their pro cycling exploits:
    >
    > I am among the amazed that Luca Segato got $800k in his lawsuit, but your argument holds no
    > water. Luca is a sprinter. You are comparing his GC result. GC is irrelevant for a sprinter. When
    > is the last time Mario Cippolini did well on GC in a hard stage race? Is he overpaid too? If you
    > want to do some research to prove that he didn't deserve the money, look at his results in
    > sprinter type races.
    >
    > Kevin Metcalfe [email protected] Pleasant Hill, CA

    Agreed. I guess I didn't think of him as a sprinter because my only race with him was the
    challenging Mutual of Enumclaw SR. Sure he won the field sprint for crit, but that course was all
    position, not top end. His experience won him that race more than anything I'm sure. What made me
    remember him was the break he went on with my teammate Chad. Chad told me he was just there holding
    his wheel, and he could only do that for two laps. I guess I just didn't think of him as a sprinter
    who could climb like that.

  8. [email protected] (Amit) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
    > >
    > > So, this affirms my statement that the guy has gotten back to about where he was a couple years
    > > ago. When I read that story, I did a quick google (from
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jun99/beauce993.html) on his results. Looking briefly
    > > for results, I find him on Nutri-Fig in 99 at de Beauce.
    > >
    > > 76. Luca Segato (Can) Nutra-Fig 35.31.
    > >
    > > Now, granted that's 35 min down on Levi Leipheimer, and I'm not sure that 35 min down on GC is
    > > that bad, but the guys around him certainly aren't names that have pulled in $807k since then
    > > for their pro cycling exploits:
    > >

    > This was (I think ?) after his injury. He wasn't riding at his potential here. He was a junior
    > prodigy and it would be reasonable to think he could've raced as a N.American based pro for 8-10
    > yrs. He might be riding well (for an amateur) now, but he basically lost his shot at making it as
    > a pro. A better comparison might be someone like Mark Walters.
    >
    > -Amit

    (from http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=3a91339c-254a-42f6-aa7a-19167e845718) The July 2,
    1998, accident injured Segato's lower back to the point that he could not even finish races that he
    had trained to win. It led to a B.C. Supreme Court jury awarding him $807,000 Tuesday, after Segato
    successfully sued ICBC.

    Tour of Somerville Races - May 29, 1995

    Senior 1/2 1 Jason Snow Carver Cycles Buzzards Bay,MA 2 Adam Myerson G S Mengoni Northhampton MA 3
    Luca Segato Saturn-Canada Victoria, BC

    Results from May 14 Ravenna RR (140km) : (Sorry I only have Men's Sen 1/2 Results)

    1. Luca Segato, Saturn Canada
    2. Darko Ficko, Longo's Cycling Team
    3. Eric Wohlberg, Saturn Canada <-| ?
    4. Micheal Barry, Saturn Canada <-| ?

    Wente Brut RR Results/Livermore, CA 4/16/94 S12P-57 riders 1 Chad Gerlach San Jose 2 Mike Murray
    Wheel Smith 3 Bob Simpson Team Santa Cruz 4 Steve Miller Softride 5 Sean Bragstad Tecate Light 6
    Benton Hart LGBRC 7 Tim Larkin East Bay Velo Club 8 Ben Bourne Davis BC 9 Luca Segato Tecate Light
    10 Ryan Chandler Velo Freni

    4/1/Pro # or riders 36 distance 20 miles 1 Luca Segato Napa Valley Velo 2 John Peters Napa Valley
    Velo 3 Michael Sayers Team Sacramento 4 John Browing Napa Valley Velo 5 Steve Ghorley Team
    Sacramento 6 Adham Sbein Twin Peaks 7 Shane Clarke Velo Freni 8 Michael Prime GCC 9 Vincent Gee
    Team Sacramento 10 Derek Hall Shaklee

    OK - after giving a more fair effort to find results, it looks like this guy was pretty good.
    Whether or not he would earn 500k over his career we can't know, but I guess I needed to do more
    homework. Thanks for keeping me honest. a