more than one cookie pan in oven at same time?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Aaron Epstein, Mar 31, 2004.

  1. I am preparing brownie cookies made from Pillbury brownie
    mix. The contents of one package requires a total of four
    cookie pans. If the oven has room, can all four pans be
    placed in the oven at the same time, OR, do I need to cook
    just one pan of cookies at the same time?

    I've been told that if all pans are placed in oven at same
    time, baking will be done unevenly.

    All replies, opinions, answers, etc. welcomed.

    Aaron in N. Hollywood

    Tags:

  2. Wardna

    Wardna Guest

    >I've been told that if all pans are placed in oven at same
    >time, baking will be done unevenly.

    Shift their positions once or twice during the (brief)
    baking.

    Bake everything at the same time; if you delay placing some
    of your pans in the oven, the leaveners will weaken in the
    ones waiting outside.

    Neil

  3. Aaron Epstein wrote:
    > I am preparing brownie cookies made from Pillbury brownie
    > mix. The contents of one package requires a total of four
    > cookie pans. If the oven has room, can all four pans be
    > placed in the oven at the same time, OR, do I need to cook
    > just one pan of cookies at the same time?
    >
    > I've been told that if all pans are placed in oven at same
    > time, baking will be done unevenly.

    It really depends on your experience with your oven. Some
    ovens have hotspots where food burns while the rest is
    uncooked. When you put everything in at once, it takes
    longer for the oven to get back up to baking temperature
    which can affect how long you have to bake for, but again,
    it depends on the oven. Some come up to temp faster than
    others. You might try moving the pans around while baking,
    but that means opening the oven door which means the temp
    goes down which means the oven comes back up to temp
    unevenly. How important are these brownies? If it were me,
    I'd put everything in at once, watch through the glass door
    and note how everything turns out. If it were imperitive
    that I get it right the first time, I'd bake only one or two
    pans at a time.

    --Lia

  4. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s52...
    > Aaron Epstein wrote:
    > > I am preparing brownie cookies made from Pillbury
    > > brownie mix. The contents of one package requires a
    > > total of four cookie pans. If the oven has room, can all
    > > four pans be placed in the oven at the same time, OR, do
    > > I need to cook just one pan of cookies at the same time?
    > >
    > > I've been told that if all pans are placed in oven at
    > > same time, baking will be done unevenly.
    >
    > It really depends on your experience with your oven. Some
    > ovens have hotspots where food burns while the rest is
    > uncooked. When you put everything in at once, it takes
    > longer for the oven to get back up to baking temperature
    > which can affect how long you have to bake for, but again,
    > it depends on the oven. Some come up to temp faster than
    > others. You might try moving the pans around while baking,
    > but that means opening the oven door which means the temp
    > goes down which means the oven comes back up to temp
    > unevenly. How important are these brownies? If it were me,
    > I'd put everything in at once, watch through the glass
    > door and note how everything turns out. If it were
    > imperitive that I get it right the first time, I'd bake
    > only one or two pans at a time.
    >
    > --Lia

    I get inconsistent results if I put the pans on different
    racks. I feel that not only does the heat differ in
    different parts of the oven, but even heat circulation is
    also blocked.

    Dora

  5. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "limey" wrote in message >

    > I get inconsistent results if I put the pans on different
    > racks. I feel that not only does the heat differ in
    > different parts of the oven, but
    even
    > heat circulation is also blocked.
    >
    > Dora

    I wasn't very clear. I get inconsistent results if I put
    cookie sheets or cake pans in the oven at the same time, but
    on different racks.

    Dora

  6. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "Aaron Epstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am preparing brownie cookies made from Pillbury brownie
    > mix. The contents of one package requires a total of four
    > cookie pans. If the oven has room, can all four pans be
    > placed in the oven at the same time, OR, do I need to cook
    > just one pan of cookies at the same time?
    >
    > I've been told that if all pans are placed in oven at
    > same time, .
    >
    > All replies, opinions, answers, etc. welcomed.

    The heat distribution will be uneven but if you are watchful
    and you are able to determine when the cookies have reached
    the right stage of doneness you can compensate for it.

    I've done this with OK results by removing the cookie
    sheet on the lower rack when the cookies on it are done
    and then moving the other cookie sheet from the higher to
    the lower rack to continue baking for a couple more
    minutes until done.

  7. Alexbrown77

    Alexbrown77 Guest

    IF you have good ventilation in your oven, you can do
    this. Place all of the pans in and turn and switch them
    half way through baking as quickly as you can. Meaning if
    one pan is on the bottom left, spin it around and put it
    top right. Only do this once and the cooking time should
    be a little longer.

  8. limey wrote:

    > "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:4iIac.154223$po.90[email protected]_s52...
    > > Aaron Epstein wrote:
    > > > I am preparing brownie cookies made from Pillbury
    > > > brownie mix. The contents of one package requires a
    > > > total of four cookie pans. If the oven has room, can
    > > > all four pans be placed in the oven at the same time,
    > > > OR, do I need to cook just one pan of cookies at the
    > > > same time?
    > > >
    > > > I've been told that if all pans are placed in oven at
    > > > same time, baking will be done unevenly.
    > >
    > > It really depends on your experience with your oven.
    > > Some ovens have hotspots where food burns while the rest
    > > is uncooked. When you put everything in at once, it
    > > takes longer for the oven to get back up to baking
    > > temperature which can affect how long you have to bake
    > > for, but again, it depends on the oven. Some come up to
    > > temp faster than others. You might try moving the pans
    > > around while baking, but that means opening the oven
    > > door which means the temp goes down which means the oven
    > > comes back up to temp unevenly. How important are these
    > > brownies? If it were me, I'd put everything in at once,
    > > watch through the glass door and note how everything
    > > turns out. If it were imperitive that I get it right the
    > > first time, I'd bake only one or two pans at a time.
    > >
    > > --Lia
    >
    > I get inconsistent results if I put the pans on different
    > racks. I feel that not only does the heat differ in
    > different parts of the oven, but even heat circulation is
    > also blocked.
    >
    > Dora

    I always switch racks halfway through. This works fine for
    me.

    Kate
    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
    already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,