More Tufo tape questions

Hi All,

Does fresh Tufo tape need to be applied with each tire change? Does the
old tape peel off more or less in one piece, or does it break up into
small hard to remove pieces? I have some nice new clean wheels I just
built, and if Tufo tape is anything like XC-ski tape, I'll give it a
whirl. But if it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, I'll
pass. Does anyone have direct experience with Tufo tape and Challenge
tires?

Thanks!

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does fresh Tufo tape need to be applied with each tire change? Does the
> old tape peel off more or less in one piece, or does it break up into
> small hard to remove pieces? I have some nice new clean wheels I just
> built, and if Tufo tape is anything like XC-ski tape, I'll give it a
> whirl. But if it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, I'll
> pass. Does anyone have direct experience with Tufo tape and Challenge
> tires?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph

Gent came in for us to glue on tubies, which I do mostly. Old tire had
tape and most of the tape stayed on the rim. VERY hard to get off and
altho easier for the non initiated, tape I think is NOT the way to go.
A can of tubie glue(I like Pana), a solvent brush and about 30
mintes...easy and not messy..

Glue the rim, glue the tire, glue the rim, glue the tire....wait
now...when the tire glue is no longer sticky, sticky(about 15
minutes)...glue onto the rim, put it on, center, air up, wait 24 hrs,
go ride.

Little goes a ong way, no need to glop it on at each application.

I took the plunge and got a set of tubular wheels soon after the Tufo
tape was introduced. I cleaned the old (red) glue off the rims and
applied the tape, along with a set of tufo S33's. While I was not
satisfied with the tires, the tape process was very simple. I replaced
the Tufo tires with Vittoria EVO Pave' tubies. I did, however, remove
the old tape using naptha. The Tufo tape works very well, and the only
downside is having to schlep the extra tires around. Using the tape,
the spares don't have to be pre-glued, and it's ok to put new tape over
the previous layer. Once the tire is pumped up, it can be ridden.

Stay Cool,
Tom

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does fresh Tufo tape need to be applied with each tire change? Does the
> > old tape peel off more or less in one piece, or does it break up into
> > small hard to remove pieces? I have some nice new clean wheels I just
> > built, and if Tufo tape is anything like XC-ski tape, I'll give it a
> > whirl. But if it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, I'll
> > pass. Does anyone have direct experience with Tufo tape and Challenge
> > tires?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Joseph

> Gent came in for us to glue on tubies, which I do mostly. Old tire had
> tape and most of the tape stayed on the rim. VERY hard to get off and
> altho easier for the non initiated, tape I think is NOT the way to go.
> A can of tubie glue(I like Pana), a solvent brush and about 30
> mintes...easy and not messy..
>
> Glue the rim, glue the tire, glue the rim, glue the tire....wait
> now...when the tire glue is no longer sticky, sticky(about 15
> minutes)...glue onto the rim, put it on, center, air up, wait 24 hrs,
> go ride.
>
> Little goes a ong way, no need to glop it on at each application.

I'm not worried about mess, but it is glue on the sidewall I want to
avoid, a nd the build-up of old glue. If the tape is hard to get off,
it is just about as big a build-up problem as regular glue.

I used to stretch new tires with my foot, but I think this may have
damaged the tire a bit, so now I have had my tires stretched onto a
clean rim inflated for 1 week, but they are still tight. Too tight for
me to be able to mount without gumming up the sidewalls. What should I
do?

Joseph

On 2 Dec 2006 08:26:25 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Does fresh Tufo tape need to be applied with each tire change? Does the
>> > old tape peel off more or less in one piece, or does it break up into
>> > small hard to remove pieces? I have some nice new clean wheels I just
>> > built, and if Tufo tape is anything like XC-ski tape, I'll give it a
>> > whirl. But if it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, I'll
>> > pass. Does anyone have direct experience with Tufo tape and Challenge
>> > tires?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Joseph

>> Gent came in for us to glue on tubies, which I do mostly. Old tire had
>> tape and most of the tape stayed on the rim. VERY hard to get off and
>> altho easier for the non initiated, tape I think is NOT the way to go.
>> A can of tubie glue(I like Pana), a solvent brush and about 30
>> mintes...easy and not messy..
>>
>> Glue the rim, glue the tire, glue the rim, glue the tire....wait
>> now...when the tire glue is no longer sticky, sticky(about 15
>> minutes)...glue onto the rim, put it on, center, air up, wait 24 hrs,
>> go ride.
>>
>> Little goes a ong way, no need to glop it on at each application.

>I'm not worried about mess, but it is glue on the sidewall I want to
>avoid, a nd the build-up of old glue. If the tape is hard to get off,
>it is just about as big a build-up problem as regular glue.
>
>I used to stretch new tires with my foot, but I think this may have
>damaged the tire a bit, so now I have had my tires stretched onto a
>clean rim inflated for 1 week, but they are still tight. Too tight for
>me to be able to mount without gumming up the sidewalls. What should I
>do?
>
>Joseph

Dear Joseph,

Glop . . . mess . . . build-up . . . gumming-up . . .

Not worried . . . avoid . . . damaged . . . too tight . . .

A thesaurus is helpful, but here the repetition obscures the problem
instead of illuminating it.

RBT's best writer used a single pithy image (pun intended) to explain
what's wrong:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/a7ae4f12ea9d9013

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Does fresh Tufo tape need to be applied with each tire change? Does the
> > > old tape peel off more or less in one piece, or does it break up into
> > > small hard to remove pieces? I have some nice new clean wheels I just
> > > built, and if Tufo tape is anything like XC-ski tape, I'll give it a
> > > whirl. But if it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, I'll
> > > pass. Does anyone have direct experience with Tufo tape and Challenge
> > > tires?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Joseph

> > Gent came in for us to glue on tubies, which I do mostly. Old tire had
> > tape and most of the tape stayed on the rim. VERY hard to get off and
> > altho easier for the non initiated, tape I think is NOT the way to go.
> > A can of tubie glue(I like Pana), a solvent brush and about 30
> > mintes...easy and not messy..
> >
> > Glue the rim, glue the tire, glue the rim, glue the tire....wait
> > now...when the tire glue is no longer sticky, sticky(about 15
> > minutes)...glue onto the rim, put it on, center, air up, wait 24 hrs,
> > go ride.
> >
> > Little goes a ong way, no need to glop it on at each application.

> I'm not worried about mess, but it is glue on the sidewall I want to
> avoid, a nd the build-up of old glue. If the tape is hard to get off,
> it is just about as big a build-up problem as regular glue.
>
> I used to stretch new tires with my foot, but I think this may have
> damaged the tire a bit, so now I have had my tires stretched onto a
> clean rim inflated for 1 week, but they are still tight. Too tight for
> me to be able to mount without gumming up the sidewalls. What should I
> do?
>
> Joseph

LOTS of air, like the maximum..or more onto a rim...I stretch Contis,
probably the hardest to mount, but pop on they do, after about a week
of stretching

I stretched some tires on a rim for a week. I found it easier to
apply the glue if i removed the tires from the rim, then pumped them
up. This will cause the tires to turn around backwards (base tape
outwards) and makes it easier to apply the glue, it has the added
benefit of stretching the base tape a little bit more. It might
achieve the slight bit of extra stretch you are looking for.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA