More Uneducated Doctors...

A

ahass

My training partner decided to get a physical last week since he hadn't had one since college (he's
24). The assistant took his pulse and such as normal before the doctor came in. One the doctor
arrived, the first thing she did was tell him his pulse was 48 and ask him if that was normal. He
said that was actually a little high, so she took it again and it was 44. She ordered him to have a
24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal for anyone, even an athlete, to have a resting pulse
lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand her a pile of internet references and tell her to
educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or something if a pulse under 50 alarmed her.
This was a 15:37 5k guy she was looking at. I thought it was kind of funny because my resting pulse
the morning he told me this was 38... :) Andy Hass

[email protected] wrote:
> My training partner decided to get a physical last week since he hadn't had one since college
> (he's 24). The assistant took his pulse and such as normal before the doctor came in. One the
> doctor arrived, the first thing she did was tell him his pulse was 48 and ask him if that was
> normal. He said that was actually a little high, so she took it again and it was 44. She
> ordered him to have a 24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal for anyone, even an
> athlete, to have a resting pulse lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand her a pile of
> internet references and tell her to educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or
> something if a pulse under 50 alarmed her. This was a 15:37 5k guy she was looking at. I
> thought it was kind of funny because my resting pulse the morning he told me this was 38... :)
> Andy Hass

I'm sure this story must have a moral or something. How about "Don't visit the doctor unless you're
sick"? Of course the doctor should have been familiar with athletes having slower than normal pulses
but then doctors are trained to look for disease, not health.

Seriously, screening well people looking for "sickness" is always going to throw up a lot of false
positives and is of very dubious value.

Tim
--
It's only Usenet. Nobody dies.

Tim Downie <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> My training partner decided to get a physical last week since he hadn't had one since college
>> (he's 24). The assistant took his pulse and such as normal before the doctor came in. One the
>> doctor arrived, the first thing she did was tell him his pulse was 48 and ask him if that was
>> normal. He said that was actually a little high, so she took it again and it was 44. She
>> ordered him to have a 24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal for anyone, even an
>> athlete, to have a resting pulse lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand her a pile of
>> internet references and tell her to educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or
>> something if a pulse under 50 alarmed her. This was a 15:37 5k guy she was looking at. I
>> thought it was kind of funny because my resting pulse the morning he told me this was 38... :)
>> Andy Hass

> I'm sure this story must have a moral or something. How about "Don't visit the doctor unless
> you're sick"? Of course the doctor should have been familiar with athletes having slower than
> normal pulses but then doctors are trained to look for disease, not health.

---Well, you notice sickness by recognizing symptoms that differ from what is normal for a
population. A resting pulse in the 40s is not abnormal for an athletic person. Andy Hass

The better your insurance is, the worse sick you will be.

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:00:39 +0000, Bill-always hard-Rodgers wrote:

>> My training partner decided to get a physical last week since he hadn't had one since college
>> (he's 24)
>
> BIG MISTAKE! If you aren't sick don't go. In India when Drs went on strike the death rate DROPPED
> 50%!!!!!!!! Take a lesson from history.
>
>
> Bill R.
>
> =============> - -- - (_!_)
> OO

Yeah, i can get you a couple of bottles of HP sause. What size?? Catering size possible - will last
you for ever. Let me know and I will send you details of what postage etc will be.

"Bill-always hard-Rodgers " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I'm sure this story must have a moral or something. How about "Don't
visit
> >the doctor unless you're sick"? Of course the doctor should have been familiar with athletes
> >having slower than normal pulses but then doctors
are
> >trained to look for disease, not health.
> >
> >Seriously, screening well people looking for "sickness" is always going
to
> >throw up a lot of false positives and is of very dubious value.
> >
> >Tim
> >--
> >It's only Usenet. Nobody die
>
> Right on Tim! BTW, it looks like that welcher Hunter isn't going to send me my HP sause
as
> promised. As soon as he realized he'd have to put a return address on it,
and
> it would be stamped with the area he's from he got gerbils in his drawers.
Do
> you have availabilty to the liquid gold over there? Any chance we can cut
a
> deal for a few bottles? You'll have to reply here, it seems TheBillRodgers isn't receiving much
email
> lately LOL.
>
> Bill R.
>
> OO

Yeah, i can get you a couple of bottles of HP sause. What size?? Catering size possible - will last
you for ever. Let me know and I will send you details of what postage etc will be.

"Bill-always hard-Rodgers " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >I'm sure this story must have a moral or something. How about "Don't
visit
> >the doctor unless you're sick"? Of course the doctor should have been familiar with athletes
> >having slower than normal pulses but then doctors
are
> >trained to look for disease, not health.
> >
> >Seriously, screening well people looking for "sickness" is always going
to
> >throw up a lot of false positives and is of very dubious value.
> >
> >Tim
> >--
> >It's only Usenet. Nobody die
>
> Right on Tim! BTW, it looks like that welcher Hunter isn't going to send me my HP sause
as
> promised. As soon as he realized he'd have to put a return address on it,
and
> it would be stamped with the area he's from he got gerbils in his drawers.
Do
> you have availabilty to the liquid gold over there? Any chance we can cut
a
> deal for a few bottles? You'll have to reply here, it seems TheBillRodgers isn't receiving much
email
> lately LOL.
>
> Bill R.
>
> OO

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> She ordered him to have a 24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal
for
> anyone, even an athlete, to have a resting pulse lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand her
> a pile of internet references and
tell
> her to educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or
something
> if a pulse under 50 alarmed her. This was a 15:37 5k guy she was looking
at.
> I thought it was kind of funny because my resting pulse the morning he told me this was
> 38... :)

Hass, you're an idiot. You and your friend are dying. The doctor was only trying to point this out
to you in a kindly manner. Jeese, some people...

Roger.

But they're dying more slowly than the people the doctors usually see :)

J "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > She ordered him to have a 24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal
> for
> > anyone, even an athlete, to have a resting pulse lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand
> > her a pile of internet references and
> tell
> > her to educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or
> something
> > if a pulse under 50 alarmed her. This was a 15:37 5k guy she was
looking
> at.
> > I thought it was kind of funny because my resting pulse the morning
he
> > told me this was 38... :)
>
> Hass, you're an idiot. You and your friend are dying. The doctor was only trying to point this out
> to you in a kindly manner. Jeese, some people...
>
>
> Roger.

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Seriously, screening well people looking for "sickness" is always going to throw up a lot of false
> positives and is of very dubious value.

Unless you appear to be quite well, and are found to have a cholesterol problem in a routine
physical, like happened to me.

It seems to me I heard somewhere that [email protected] wrote in article
<[email protected]>:

>
> My training partner decided to get a physical last week since he hadn't had one since college
> (he's 24). The assistant took his pulse and such as normal before the doctor came in. One the
> doctor arrived, the first thing she did was tell him his pulse was 48 and ask him if that was
> normal. He said that was actually a little high, so she took it again and it was 44. She ordered
> him to have a 24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal for anyone, even an athlete, to
> have a resting pulse lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand her a pile of internet
> references and tell her to educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or something
> if a pulse under 50 alarmed her. This was a 15:37 5k guy she was looking at. I thought it was
> kind of funny because my resting pulse the morning he told me this was 38... :)

It's something in the air, I guess. Not long ago on a cardiology newsgroup on this very Internet a
*cardiologist* opined that anybody with a heart rate below 50 would probably collapse or be
lightheaded. I noted that as I wrote my response to his post my hr was in the mid-40s.

Scary, isn't it? Fortunately, my cardios have always been more tolerant of my 30s and 40s. :)
--
Old marathoners never die, they just fade away in the long run. Don

Actually your physician is a runner...he/she was running your bill up. <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> normal. He said that was actually a little high, so she took it again and it was 44. She
> ordered him to have a 24 hour EKG this week because "it isn't normal
for
> anyone, even an athlete, to have a resting pulse lower than 50." I told him to refuse it, hand her
> a pile of internet references and
tell
> her to educate herself. She must only see obese couch potatos or
something
> if a pulse under 50 alarmed her. This was a 15:37 5k guy she was looking
at.
> I thought it was kind of funny because my resting pulse the morning he told me this was 38...
> :) Andy Hass