More USAT legal-babble

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Trihard, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Trihard

    Trihard Guest

    Tags:

  2. Pmcdc

    Pmcdc Guest

    thanks for posting this. i'll go look. peggy

  3. Is it time for a split between elite/pro triathlon and age group triathlon in the US ?

    I certainly get the feeling that something has to be done here in the UK about costs. BTA membership
    is now 45 UKPounds for non-affiliated club members, i.e. individual members and those who belong to
    clubs, like cycling, swimming, running clubs that don't pay affiliation to the BTA. That's a
    whopping 82 US Dollars at current exchange rate and its difficult to see from the annual accounts
    what it gets spent on along with the annual day license fee that the BTA gets for each race from non-
    members as well as the 1UKP levy on each race competitor.

    Perhaps, if the elite/pro organising arms of our sport were required to focus on just the elites and
    nothing else, then we would have a better chance at accountability and costs under control. Then the
    boards that are attempting to run these sports organisations like pure profit making businesses to
    fund their and the elites largess could be judged purely on their results at the Olympics and World
    Championships!

    ++Mark.

  4. Mark Cathcart wrote:
    > Is it time for a split between elite/pro triathlon and age group triathlon in the US ?
    >
    > I certainly get the feeling that something has to be done here in the UK about costs. ETC.

    What of course Empfield fails to mention, is that all of this wealth accumulation, by way of
    spiraling "one day fees", happened under the direction of the recently departed Executive Director
    to whom Mr. Empfield seems to be joined at the hip. In short it's not being spent on elites or age
    groupers. Not a word was ever spoken during the process because that would have shed a poor light on
    his good friend. And were it not for the recent board elections that went poorly for his supported
    candidates, prompting the resignation of Steve Locke who refused to serve a board he could no longer
    control, Mr. Empfield would have nothing to do but his usual reports on the latest titanium seat
    posts instead of finding a new mission to overturn an election that was conducted by the same
    process that had served his allies for many years.

    JJ

  5. JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mark Cathcart wrote:
    >> Is it time for a split between elite/pro triathlon and age group triathlon in the US ?
    >>
    >> I certainly get the feeling that something has to be done here in the UK about costs. ETC.
    >
    > What of course Empfield fails to mention, is that all of this wealth accumulation, by way of
    > spiraling "one day fees", happened under the direction of the recently departed Executive Director
    > to whom Mr. Empfield seems to be joined at the hip. In short it's not being spent on elites or age
    > groupers. Not a word was ever spoken during the process because that would have shed a poor light
    > on his good friend. And were it not for the recent board elections that went poorly for his
    > supported candidates, prompting the resignation of Steve Locke who refused to serve a board he
    > could no longer control, Mr. Empfield would have nothing to do but his usual reports on the latest
    > titanium seat posts instead of finding a new mission to overturn an election that was conducted by
    > the same process that had served his allies for many years.
    >
    > JJ

    Help me out. Are you saying it was just as bad then, or that it's OK now?

    Tom

  6. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Cathcart wrote:
    >> Is it time for a split between elite/pro triathlon and age group triathlon in the US ?
    >>
    >> I certainly get the feeling that something has to be done here in the UK about costs. ETC.
    >
    >What of course Empfield fails to mention, is that all of this wealth accumulation, by way of
    >spiraling "one day fees", happened under the direction of the recently departed Executive Director
    >to whom Mr. Empfield seems to be joined at the hip. In short it's not being spent on elites or age
    >groupers. Not a word was ever spoken during the process because that would have shed a poor light
    >on his good friend. And were it not for the recent board elections that went poorly for his
    >supported candidates, prompting the resignation of Steve Locke who refused to serve a board he
    >could no longer control, Mr. Empfield would have nothing to do but his usual reports on the latest
    >titanium seat posts instead of finding a new mission to overturn an election that was conducted by
    >the same process that had served his allies for many years.
    >
    >JJ

    Hmmm, it seems to me the main issue is that the election rules WERE changed for this election and
    not done so properly. And they allowed little things like allowing candidates to collect and submit
    UNSEALED ballots.

    True, that does permit EVERY candidate the ability to stuff the ballot box equally, but it hardly
    seems appropriate.

    Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

  7. Mike Tennent wrote:

    > Hmmm, it seems to me the main issue is that the election rules WERE changed for this election and
    > not done so properly. And they allowed little things like allowing candidates to collect and
    > submit UNSEALED ballots.

    Has Empfield's media campaign put you under the false impression that this was the first election
    where candidates collected unsealed ballots personally??? This has been part of the process for as
    long as I can remember. Specifically what rules were changed? The only change was that the ballot
    was available to be downloaded online instead of having to clip it out of a copy of USAT's mag.

    > True, that does permit EVERY candidate the ability to stuff the ballot box equally, but it hardly
    > seems appropriate.

    I make no argument that the process doesn't needs change and improvement. My only point is that the
    ruckus is purely and solely an effect of who's side won and lost. Empfield and company would be
    silent as a door mouse about all these election rules that served them for years had their
    candidates won again.

    JJ

  8. Tom Henderson wrote:

    > Help me out. Are you saying it was just as bad then, or that it's OK now?

    I'm saying that it was just as bad then and always has been but the election process was serving
    quite well to keep Locke's allies in power so nobody gave a damn. The only rules change in the last
    election was internet availability of the ballot instead having to clip it out of USAT's magazine.
    (that's certainly worth suing over)

    JJ