More uses for bicycles - bank robbery

Michael Press

Guest
http://www.gazette.net/200425/germantown/news/221715-1.html

Bicyclist attempts drive-through robbery
by Brooke W. Stanley
Staff Writer
June 16, 2004

A security camera photograph of a man who allegedly rode his bike
through a bank drive-through and demanded money.

Police are looking for a man who they believe attempted to rob a
Gaithersburg bank by riding his bike through a drive-though lane and
demanding money.

At 9 a.m. on June 5, the suspect, who police describe as a 25-year-old
black man, rode his bicycle through the drive-though lane at the
SunTrust bank at 78 Bureau Drive and sent the teller a note demanding
money, according to a release from Montgomery County Police.

The teller did not understand what the suspect was asking for, so the
teller asked the man to go to the front door. When the suspect got to
the front door, he held up a package that he said was a bomb and again
demanded money, according to the release.

The teller pushed the alarm button and shortly thereafter the suspect
fled on his bicycle without getting any money, said police spokeswoman
Officer Louise Marthens.

The suspect was last seen heading toward West Diamond Avenue and
Clopper Road, according to the release.

Mark Koenigsberg, security administrator for SunTrust's greater
Washington region, said the company has a policy of not giving any
information to the media.

Police describe the suspect as 5-foot-7 to 6 feet tall, weighing 150
to 160 pounds with black medium-length braided hair. He was wearing a
black hooded sweatshirt, dark pants with two white stripes and dark
sunglasses.

Police are asking anyone with information about this crime to call the
robbery section of the Major Crimes Division at 240-773-5100. Those
wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Solvers of Montgomery
County at 1-800-673-2777. Crime Solvers is offering a reward of up to
$1,000 for information that leads to the arrest or indictment of the
person responsible for this crime.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:27:24 -0400, Michael Press
<[email protected]> wrote:
>A security camera photograph of a man who allegedly rode his bike
>through a bank drive-through and demanded money.

I guess he's a vehicular cyclist.

See? Bicycles CAN be used for anything usually done with motor
vehicles.
--
Rick Onanian

In the bicycle semi friendly city of Albuquerque it has been successfully
done. With the bike paths, hiking trails, and arroyos there are a lot of
avenues for escape. It was a few years back, but I do believe the bicycle
bandit was caught on a second attempt.

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael Press <[email protected]> writes:

> The teller did not understand what the suspect was asking for, so the
> teller asked the man to go to the front door.

Kind of reminds me of Virgil Starkwell's badly scrawled
holdup note ("Apt natural. I have a gub.") in Woody Allen's
'Take the Money and Run.'

cheers,
Tom