Moreni -- My Hero!

nns1400

Jul 27, 2006
Moreni is now my hero from this year's Tour.

After testing positive, the tour organizers report "the rider has accepted the result and is not requesting a B sample analysis."

Now THAT is inspirational. He should get a medal.

nns1400 said:
Moreni is now my hero from this year's Tour.

After testing positive, the tour organizers report "the rider has accepted the result and is not requesting a B sample analysis."

Now THAT is inspirational. He should get a medal.
You mean for his courageous act of protesting the start of that very same stage in critique of all the dopers? :rolleyes:

donrhummy said:
You mean for his courageous act of protesting the start of that very same stage in critique of all the dopers? :rolleyes:
That is priceless, of course. But I was just so stunned to read the words "accepted the result" that I had to read it twice. He wasn't winning anything, either, though, but it's still better than the shameless lying and lawyering we've endured of late. When I saw the cover of Landis's book on the shelves the other day, I laughed out loud.

donrhummy said:
LOL. That was a good one. What is the Jewish word for that. Chutzpah?

While his immediate admittance of doping is pleasing, he shouldn't be applauded, why did the damn fool do it in the first place?

trucker39 said:
While his immediate admittance of doping is pleasing, he shouldn't be applauded, why did the damn fool do it in the first place?
Sarcasm, mate. I appaud only because I've followed the Tour for 3 (now 4) years, read up a lot to catch up on the history I've missed, and I've never heard a rider "accept the result" before. He's not really my hero. :rolleyes:

Being slapped with a 2 year ban on Pro Cycling and 4 year ban on Pro Tour, at his age it's basically curtains.

Eagle of Toledo said:
Being slapped with a 2 year ban on Pro Cycling and 4 year ban on Pro Tour, at his age it's basically curtains.
What's the deal with the French rules and laws. Moreni got taken away by the police. Can they do that because he's French? I've never heard of anyone else getting arrested for testing positive.

nns1400 said:
What's the deal with the French rules and laws. Moreni got taken away by the police. Can they do that because he's French? I've never heard of anyone else getting arrested for testing positive.
Moreni is Italian.

At least he can stand up and take the responsibility, unlike Landis and other weasels. It's the best outcome under the circumstance.

Moreni is under investigation, Police want to know how he doped, products, providers and so. His house should be raided too. Providers are risking jail if they are found guilty of giving illegal drugs to athletes.
It will be the same for someone caugth with blood for a rider or an athlete. To link with Vino.
If Moreni is not a provider for other riders or atheletes he will be free.

poulidor said:
Moreni is under investigation, Police want to know how he doped, products, providers and so. His house should be raided too. Providers are risking jail if they are found guilty of giving illegal drugs to athletes.
It will be the same for someone caugth with blood for a rider or an athlete. To link with Vino.
If Moreni is not a provider for other riders or atheletes he will be free.
Thanks for explaining. But I'm still a little confused. Was he already under investigation, and then he tested positive? Otherwise, wouldn't they arrest anyone who tests positive? Like Vino? Or Landis if he returns to French soil?

Also, does Moreni live in France (since you mentioned raiding his house). Is a positive test considered probable cause for a search in your country? Do they need probable cause?

Sorry for all the questions...just really want to know how this works. I think getting arrested would be a lot more of a deterrent than losing sponsorship!

nns1400 said:
Thanks for explaining. But I'm still a little confused. Was he already under investigation, and then he tested positive?
No, he was found positive, then he was under invetigation, it's not like arrested. Only the prosecutor request or not an investigation.

"Otherwise, wouldn't they arrest anyone who tests positive? Like Vino?"
Yes for Vino, it was possible to ask them to explain how he doped. Was it on frenct territory? Who gave him the blood?

"Or Landis if he returns to French soil?"
I think it's too late.

"Also, does Moreni live in France (since you mentioned raiding his house). Is a positive test considered probable cause for a search in your country? Do they need probable cause? "

I don't know if Moreni lives in France or not. Providing drug is a criminal offense, so a lot of power can be use if neccessary. It's the only reason why TDF is cleaner as Giro or Vuelta. Teams (management) are affraid to be caught, especially as provider or as "doctor".

"Sorry for all the questions...just really want to know how this works. I think getting arrested would be a lot more of a deterrent than losing sponsorship!"
Of course, especialy for french team management.

poulidor said:
No, he was found positive, then he was under invetigation, it's not like arrested. Only the prosecutor request or not an investigation.

Yes for Vino, it was possible to ask them to explain how he doped. Was it on frenct territory? Who gave him the blood?

I think it's too late.

"Also, does Moreni live in France (since you mentioned raiding his house). Is a positive test considered probable cause for a search in your country? Do they need probable cause? "

I don't know if Moreni lives in France or not. Providing drug is a criminal offense, so a lot of power can be use if neccessary. It's the only reason why TDF is cleaner as Giro or Vuelta. Teams (management) are affraid to be caught, especially as provider or as "doctor".

"Sorry for all the questions...just really want to know how this works. I think getting arrested would be a lot more of a deterrent than losing sponsorship!"
Interesting. So while Moreni is Italian, he rides for a French team, correct? So more could come of that case.

I guess this explains why these riders suddenly fly off to "undisclosed locations." ;)

Thanks again.

nns1400 said:
Interesting. So while Moreni is Italian, he rides for a French team, correct? So more could come of that case.
Yes COFIDIS is a french team, but I would be surprise if they found something against Moreni. They will found some product but certainly for his own use (little quantity) so it's not a "problem".

nns1400 said:
I guess this explains why these riders suddenly fly off to "undisclosed locations." ;)
To fly off is not a solution because there is a longitudinal monitoring, so abnormal parameter could be seen. I think it's why Moreau is cleaner than precedent years. He certainly got a strong warning: your parameter are strange, what is happening ? ... You don't know ...we will see at the next control...

nns1400 said:
Thanks again.
De rien

poulidor said:

I think it's too late.

Actually it might be because he doped with testosterone which is illegal to use like it is in the US (except under certain cases). Whereas Vino simply put blood into his body. I'm not sure they have a law against that.