Morons on bikes

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bean Long, May 11, 2006.

  1. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Oh dear. What a sight. For those in CBR riding over Commonwealth
    Bridge you will know that there have been expansion joint works and
    traffic diversions. As a result the cycling/pedestrian paths over the
    bridge have taken turns in being closed down during the works. This is
    no big deal as its easy to slip under the bridge and go over the
    opposite side if the side you want to use is closed.

    This whole week the northbound side has been closed and I have been
    dumb-founded by the number of cyclists riding up the incline to the
    bridge BETWEEN two detour signs, only to get to the top and see the path
    is closed (you can actually see that this is the case from some distance
    off). Not to be deterred, many cyclists have lifted their bikes over
    the barriers (these are permanent barriers which normally separate
    cyclists/peds from traffic) onto the road where cars are dealing with
    dramatically changed traffic conditions on a bridge. This hasn't been
    too bad a ploy as I've seen much success with cyclists coming out the
    other end unscathed.

    Yet this morning, as I rode northbound on the fountain side of the
    bridge, I noticed one moron carrying (yes CARRYING) his bike on a narrow
    strip of concrete almost in the MIDDLE of the bridge where there is
    nothing more than a small barrier and fence to stop traffic crashing
    into the lake from a great height
    (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=177721). What's more bizarre is that
    he was heading NORTH!! I decided not to let him know how outraged I was
    that he was giving me such a bad rep as I thought this might distract
    him and he'd fall into the lake. For those in CBR using the bridge
    please, for the sake of my own blood pressure, just use the god-dam path!

    Ahh... calm now... time for coffee! Oh yeah and I have a flat to repair
    before home time!

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

    Tags:

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Bean

    Anyone doing stupid things is not your responsibility. When a motorist,
    I cannot be held accountable for moronic drivers - nor as a cyclist
    will I accept being lumped in with dickheads who also ride a bike. Let
    this guy get his Darwin Award, or be dealt with by the law.

    Donga

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    you shoulda distracted him :D:D:D

    kersplash!!!

  4. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I saw the thread title and thought this thread was about me..!!!
    I agree with Flying Dutch, should of thrown him something and shouted hey "catch"

  5. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    Dunno if it beats this one -
    http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=129108&region=7

    CYCLIST RIDES INTO TROUBLE
    11.5.2006. 13:18:16

    A South Australian cyclist is probably wishing he'd just paid the $64 fine
    he was handed by police for riding his bicycle without a helmet.

    Instead, he got straight back onto the bike and continued to ride without a
    helmet. When police stopped him again he decided to walk his bike for the
    rest of his journey.

    But he was so intent on giving the officers a mouthful that he didn't look
    where he was going and walked into a parked car. Police again spoke to the
    man, who then got on his bike again without a helmet and started circling
    around the officers in the middle of the road.

    The 39-year-old man was eventually arrested for failing to wear a bike
    helmet, disorderly behaviour and the unlawful possession of a bike. When
    police looked into it, they discovered that the bike was stolen.

  6. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Ah, the battle cry of the grenadiers.

  7. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    OzCableguy wrote:
    > Dunno if it beats this one -
    > http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=129108&region=7
    >
    > CYCLIST RIDES INTO TROUBLE
    > 11.5.2006. 13:18:16
    >

    > A South Australian cyclist is probably wishing he'd just paid the $64 fine
    > he was handed by police for riding his bicycle without a helmet.
    >
    > Instead, he got straight back onto the bike and continued to ride without a
    > helmet. When police stopped him again he decided to walk his bike for the
    > rest of his journey.
    >
    > But he was so intent on giving the officers a mouthful that he didn't look
    > where he was going and walked into a parked car. Police again spoke to the
    > man, who then got on his bike again without a helmet and started circling
    > around the officers in the middle of the road.
    >
    > The 39-year-old man was eventually arrested for failing to wear a bike
    > helmet, disorderly behaviour and the unlawful possession of a bike. When
    > police looked into it, they discovered that the bike was stolen.

    yeah... it could have been that guy!

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  8. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >> you shoulda distracted him :D:D:D
    >>
    >> kersplash!!!

    > I saw the thread title and thought this thread was about me..!!!
    > I agree with Flying Dutch, should of thrown him something and shouted
    > hey "catch"

    Thread probably should have been "Bike on moron"

    reminds me of that old Kenny Everett joke: "Horse on Wells... get it?"

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  9. SteppenW

    SteppenW Guest

    "I'm not suggesting that we simply execute stupid people. All I'm saying is
    that we should remove the safety labels and let nature take its course."

    Confusius

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined: