Morphine / antioxidant

Doe

Guest
1: Pharmacol Res. 2004 Jan;49(1):59-66. Related Articles, Links

In vitro antioxidant properties of morphine.

Gulci;n I, Beydemi;r S, Alici HA, Elmastas M, Buyukokuroglu ME.

Department of Chemistry, Science and Arts Faculty, Ataturk University, 25240, Erzurum, Turkey

Morphine is implicated in diverse functions, from development to immune modulation in the central
and peripheral nervous systems. It has also been used extensively in the clinical management of pain
due to its potent analgesic effect. This study was designed to evaluate the in vitro antioxidant
capacity of morphine using different antioxidant tests, including total antioxidant activity,
reducing power, free radical scavenging, superoxide anion radical scavenging, hydrogen peroxide
scavenging and metal chelating activities. Morphine exhibited strong total antioxidant activity. The
concentrations of 25, 50 and 75microgml(-1) of morphine showed 79.1, 84.3 and 92.3% inhibition on
peroxidation of linoleic acid emulsion, respectively. On the other hand, at 75microgml(-1)
concentration of standard antioxidant, such as butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated
hydroxytoluene (BHT) and alpha-tocopherol, exhibited 88.7, 94.5 and 70.4% inhibition on peroxidation
of linoleic acid emulsion, respectively. In addition, morphine had effective reducing power, free
radical scavenging, superoxide anion radical scavenging, hydrogen peroxide scavenging and metal
chelating activities at the same concentrations (25, 50 and 75microgml(-1)). These various
antioxidant activities were compared to standard antioxidants such as BHA, BHT and alpha-tocopherol.

PMID: 14597153 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1: Pharmacol Res. 2004 Jan;49(1):59-66. Related Articles, Links
>

> In vitro antioxidant properties of morphine.
>
> Gulci;n I, Beydemi;r S, Alici HA, Elmastas M, Buyukokuroglu ME.
>
> Department of Chemistry, Science and Arts Faculty, Ataturk University,
25240,
> Erzurum, Turkey
>
> Morphine is implicated in diverse functions, from development to immune modulation in the central
> and peripheral nervous systems. It has also been
used
> extensively in the clinical management of pain due to its potent analgesic effect. This study was
> designed to evaluate the in vitro antioxidant
capacity
> of morphine using different antioxidant tests, including total antioxidant activity, reducing
> power, free radical scavenging, superoxide anion
radical
> scavenging, hydrogen peroxide scavenging and metal chelating activities. Morphine exhibited strong
> total antioxidant activity. The concentrations
of 25,
> 50 and 75microgml(-1) of morphine showed 79.1, 84.3 and 92.3% inhibition
on
> peroxidation of linoleic acid emulsion, respectively. On the other hand,
at
> 75microgml(-1) concentration of standard antioxidant, such as butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA),
> butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and alpha-tocopherol, exhibited 88.7, 94.5 and 70.4% inhibition on
> peroxidation of linoleic acid emulsion, respectively. In addition, morphine had effective reducing
power,
> free radical scavenging, superoxide anion radical scavenging, hydrogen
peroxide
> scavenging and metal chelating activities at the same concentrations (25,
50
> and 75microgml(-1)). These various antioxidant activities were compared to standard antioxidants
> such as BHA, BHT and alpha-tocopherol.
>
> PMID: 14597153 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Even though morphine is refined from a plant that has been used in herbal medicine since prehistoric
time, its use as a dietary supplement for its antioxidant properties cannot be recommended. The CNS
depressant effects of morphine can, at high doses, suppress respiration to the point where hypoxia
makes antioxidants moot.

;o) Rich

[email protected] (doe) wrote:

>In vitro antioxidant properties of morphine.

"In vitro" = in a test tube. Its action in living systems is dominated by the effects on the brain
and the respiratory depressant effect.

If you want anti-oxidants, eat fresh fruits.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking morality
and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 04:34:52 -1000, "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Even though morphine is refined from a plant that has been used in herbal medicine since
>prehistoric time, its use as a dietary supplement for its antioxidant properties cannot be
>recommended. The CNS depressant effects of morphine can, at high doses, suppress respiration to the
>point where hypoxia makes antioxidants moot.
>
>;o) Rich

Not to mention the depression of the GI tract.
--

Take out the G'RBAGE to reply
[email protected]