Moser advocates legalization

>From procycling.com:

"Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
dangers." "

Big surprise.

bob sullivan

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
>>From procycling.com:

> "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
> Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
> would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
> brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
> not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
> legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
> lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
> dangers." "
>
> Big surprise.

Well, really, he does have a point. Up until Tom Simpson died, nobody
gave a **** what the riders were taking. So for the first, what, 60
years of the sport, there were no dope controls, and every rider took
whatever they thought it took to get them through the race. Then
Simpson goes and collapses on Ventoux and everybody wrings their hands
and says that doping is a scourge that must be eliminated. I mean,
really, if you want to take EPO until your blood turns to sludge and
your heart can't pump it through your arteries anymore, you're taking
just one more risk with your health. Descending a mountain at 70 mph
is pretty risky, too.

Considering how vehemently Anquetil fought drug testing, I wonder
if he was doped to the gills during his various GT wins.

~bob

MagillaGorilla

Guest
p[email protected] wrote:
>>From procycling.com:

> "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
> Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
> would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
> brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
> not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
> legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
> lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
> dangers." "
>
> Big surprise.

Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
Italian cycling federation.

And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.

Why engage in such a bizarre conversation?

Magilla

MagillaGorilla wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >>From procycling.com:

> > "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
> > Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
> > would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
> > brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
> > not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
> > legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
> > lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
> > dangers." "
> >
> > Big surprise.
> >

> Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
> and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
> Italian cycling federation.
>
> And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
> Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.
>
> Why engage in such a bizarre conversation?
>

> Magilla

I thought you might want to know what the president of the pro rider's
union believes. Being that he represents the wishes of the peloton,
one can not help but think that he's speaking somewhat on their behalf.
If you wonder why so few of them ever admit to it, it's probably
because so many of them think they're doing nothing wrong. Mob rule
sorta works that way.

Bill C

Guest
MagillaGorilla wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >>From procycling.com:

> > "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
> > Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
> > would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
> > brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
> > not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
> > legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
> > lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
> > dangers." "
> >
> > Big surprise.
> >

> Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
> and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
> Italian cycling federation.
>
> And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
> Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.
>
> Why engage in such a bizarre conversation?
>

> Magilla

Let's see we have a system you hate because it's not hostile enough
towards the possible violators that makes the "Inquisition" look fair
and you are calling anything else bizarre?
Let's just hit all the riders with some Zyklon-B since we know the
bastards are guilty and start over. Screw fair hearings.
Nuke 'em all and let GOD sort them out! The scary thing is that you
seem to think Dickie Pound is GOD!
When did you give up doping? Reformed alcoholics and smokers are
always the worst, same thing for dopers?
Bill C

MagillaGorilla

Guest
[email protected] wrote:

> MagillaGorilla wrote:

>>>"Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
>>>Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
>>>would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
>>>brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
>>>not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
>>>legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
>>>lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
>>>dangers." "
>>>
>>>Big surprise.
>>>

>>Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
>>and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
>>Italian cycling federation.
>>
>>And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
>>Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.
>>
>>Why engage in such a bizarre conversation?
>>

>>Magilla

> I thought you might want to know what the president of the pro rider's
> union believes. Being that he represents the wishes of the peloton,
> one can not help but think that he's speaking somewhat on their behalf.
> If you wonder why so few of them ever admit to it, it's probably
> because so many of them think they're doing nothing wrong. Mob rule
> sorta works that way.

********. Moser doesn't represent anything but himself. Do you think the
guy took a poll of all active cyclists and they actually told him that?
Moser is a former pro cyclist, which basically means he's braindead.

Magilla

MagillaGorilla

Guest
Bill C wrote:

> MagillaGorilla wrote:

>>>"Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
>>>Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
>>>would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
>>>brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
>>>not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
>>>legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
>>>lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
>>>dangers." "
>>>
>>>Big surprise.
>>>

>>Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
>>and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
>>Italian cycling federation.
>>
>>And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
>>Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.
>>
>>Why engage in such a bizarre conversation?
>>

>>Magilla

> Let's see we have a system you hate because it's not hostile enough
> towards the possible violators that makes the "Inquisition" look fair
> and you are calling anything else bizarre?
> Let's just hit all the riders with some Zyklon-B since we know the
> bastards are guilty and start over. Screw fair hearings.
> Nuke 'em all and let GOD sort them out! The scary thing is that you
> seem to think Dickie Pound is GOD!
> When did you give up doping? Reformed alcoholics and smokers are
> always the worst, same thing for dopers?
> Bill C

What Inquisition - are you likening a CAS hearing to that?

I think everybody has their panties in a bunch because Floyd got caught.

Magilla

Callistus Valerius

Guest
> Considering how vehemently Anquetil fought drug testing, I wonder
> if he was doped to the gills during his various GT wins.
>
> ~bob

-------------
He was the John Karr of his time. But in France he was celebrated as a
conquering hero.

bob sullivan

Guest
Callistus Valerius wrote:
>>Considering how vehemently Anquetil fought drug testing, I wonder
>>if he was doped to the gills during his various GT wins.
>>
>>~bob

> -------------
> He was the John Karr of his time. But in France he was celebrated as a
> conquering hero.

I thought the French always liked Poulidor better than Anquetil.
Though they did eventually warm up to JA.

~bob

RonSonic

Guest
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:47:09 -0400, bob sullivan <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>>From procycling.com:

>> "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
>> Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
>> would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
>> brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
>> not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
>> legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
>> lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
>> dangers." "
>>
>> Big surprise.

>Well, really, he does have a point. Up until Tom Simpson died, nobody
>gave a **** what the riders were taking. So for the first, what, 60
>years of the sport, there were no dope controls, and every rider took
>whatever they thought it took to get them through the race. Then
>Simpson goes and collapses on Ventoux and everybody wrings their hands
>and says that doping is a scourge that must be eliminated.

Am I wrong to suggest that they blamed the drugs to distract from the abject,
sadistic cruelty and reckless disregard of rider's health of the 4 water bottle
limit on that mountain stage.

Ron

CowPunk

Guest
MagillaGorilla wrote:

> Most of the people caught doping are guilty. Just like drunk drivers.
>
> Magilla

Except "most" drunk drivers do not loose their careers....
Maybe it's time for the punishment to fit the crime?

MagillaGorilla

Guest
CowPunk wrote:

> MagillaGorilla wrote:
>

>>Most of the people caught doping are guilty. Just like drunk drivers.
>>
>>Magilla

> Except "most" drunk drivers do not loose their careers....
> Maybe it's time for the punishment to fit the crime?

A truck driver would lose his career over a DWI. So would a police
officer, a school bus driver, a pilot...the list goes on and on.

Besides, the cyclists agreed to these rules when they took out a license
and sent their money to Colorado Springs. What's up with all the
complaining about clearly stated rules?

Guys like Adam Bergman had no career without the juice anyway.

Magilla

MagillaGorilla wrote:

> Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
> and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
> Italian cycling federation.

dumbass,

cycling people are all idiots that don't understand the economics.

unless cycling starts selling tickets or having monthy pay-per-views
like wrestling it has to appease sponsors (which is what the
NFL/NBA/MLB manage to do).

mainstream sponsors are not going to support legalized doping.

Michael Press

Guest
In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> MagillaGorilla wrote:
> > >
> > > "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
> > > Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
> > > would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
> > > brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
> > > not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
> > > legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
> > > lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
> > > dangers." "
> > >
> > > Big surprise.

> > Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never happen
> > and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the UCI or
> > Italian cycling federation.
> >
> > And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
> > Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.
> >
> > Why engage in such a bizarre conversation?

> I thought you might want to know what the president of the pro rider's
> union believes. Being that he represents the wishes of the peloton,
> one can not help but think that he's speaking somewhat on their behalf.
> If you wonder why so few of them ever admit to it, it's probably
> because so many of them think they're doing nothing wrong. Mob rule
> sorta works that way.

I prefer to thing of it as anarchy.

--
Michael Press

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, RonSonic
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:47:09 -0400, bob sullivan <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Well, really, he does have a point. Up until Tom Simpson died, nobody
>>gave a **** what the riders were taking. So for the first, what, 60
>>years of the sport, there were no dope controls, and every rider took
>>whatever they thought it took to get them through the race. Then
>>Simpson goes and collapses on Ventoux and everybody wrings their hands
>>and says that doping is a scourge that must be eliminated.

> Am I wrong to suggest that they blamed the drugs to distract from the
> abject, sadistic cruelty and reckless disregard of rider's health of
> the 4 water bottle limit on that mountain stage.

No, you're not wrong. That rule was murder, more or less.

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, MagillaGorilla
('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>>>From procycling.com:

>> "Francesco Moser, president of the International Association of Pro
>> Riders (ACP) has told Italian TV that one solution to the doping issue
>> would be to legalise the use of all products. "If all riders can be
>> brought to the same level then we should stick with dope controls. If
>> not, then for the professionals perhaps the solution is [total
>> legalisation]," he told RAI. Asked about the dangers this move could
>> lead to, Moser responded: "In our world, there are a lot of
>> dangers." "
>>
>> Big surprise.

> Moser is your typical retired pro idiot. Legalization will never
> happen and cannot happen because WADA controls drug testing, not the
> UCI or Italian cycling federation.

Legalisation /can/ happen. I'm not convinced it's a good idea, but it
certainly can. The UCI is not compelled to uphold WADA, it chooses to.
It could withdraw. That might mean the US and the poodle-dog British
would pull out of the UCI, but no great loss there.

> And if it happens for cycling then it would have to happen for every
> Olympic sport. And that's simply not in the cards.

We don't need pro cycling in the Olympics. They don't have motor racing
or what you Americans laughably call 'football' in the Olympics, but
those sports haven't died.

Donald Munro

Guest
Bill C wrote:
> Let's just hit all the riders with some Zyklon-B since we know the
> bastards are guilty and start over. Screw fair hearings.

Just give them all some Ritalin. That should at least keep them quiet.

Donald Munro

Guest
Michael Press wrote:
> I prefer to thing of it as anarchy.

You thing to much.

Michael Press

Guest
In article
<e[email protected]>,
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> We don't need pro cycling in the Olympics. They don't have motor racing
> or what you Americans laughably call 'football' in the Olympics, but
> those sports haven't died.

Whereas British football is no joke.

--
Michael Press