Most beautiful jersey

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kenny, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Tags:

  2. Gopher

    Gopher Guest

  3. gopher wrote:
    > On 20 Jun 2003 12:29:59 -0700, [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
    >

    >>That would be the jersey of the legendary Mapei-GB team: the colourfull cubes and the red GB-ball.
    >>--> http://www.geocities.com/gelei2000/rvv95.jpg
    >

    > maybe...
    >
    > ...but the shorts are R.F.U. really effin ugly.
    >
    > g.

    Have to agree. What was wrong with basic black? I always liked the old Mondrien /La Vie
    Clair jersey myself.

    Steve

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  5. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Steven Bornfeld wrote:

    > I always liked the old Mondrien /La Vie Clair jersey myself.

    That was my first ever jersey. And the only pro team jersey I ever wore. I can't even remember what
    became of it.

  6. Warren

    Warren Guest

  7. Tim McTeague

    Tim McTeague Guest

    Me too! It was the only team jersey I ever bought. My first one was part of some deal for joining a
    "Greg Lemond team". All I remember is that membership included a "La Vie Clair" jersey, "same as the
    team wore". Well, it took an very long time to come and, when it did, it was a crappy copy of the
    team jersey. A couple of years later I bought one of the good ones at some closeout and still have
    it. One of the few team jerseys I like. I think defunct team jerseys are the only cool ones anyway,
    unless you are a pro and paid to wear one. Check out this site for images of just about every team
    uniform you can imagine.

    http://www.professionnalpeloton.com/jerseys.htm

    Tim McTeague

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    >
    > > I always liked the old Mondrien /La Vie Clair jersey myself.
    > >

    > That was my first ever jersey. And the only pro team jersey I ever wore. I can't even remember
    > what became of it.

  8. Jc6239

    Jc6239 Guest

    I always liked the simplicity of the old stuff like Merckx's Faema kit.

    That was a cool link to the old jerseys. I still wear my old Holdsworth / Campagnolo wool warm up
    jacket bought at their pro shop in Putney, UK in 1972 on an occasional fall ride. Always brings a
    comment, unfortunately mostly along the lines of "Looks a little tight on you Jim." The old UK pro
    team (Carlton, TI Raleigh, Falcon, Claud Butler etc.) stuff brings back memories even though I'm
    from the US. Probaly due to the old "Ineternatioanl Cycle Sport" magazine which came out of England
    being the only real link to Pro racing news when I was first starting out.

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Thanks for the link! My top five favorites over the years, some of which I still have and can
    fit in to:
    1. Alfa Romeo (In red)
    2. Legano (circa 1961 design)
    3. Bianchi-Pirelli
    4. Atala (pre-jail inmate design)
    5. Austro-Daimler

    I recall that Bike Nashbar was selling the Teka and other jerseys made of genuine Belgian acrylic.
    Great for wearing when the temp was in the low 50sF but hell above 65F.

    The older designs were generally better due to thier simple design required by pre-sublimation/
    flocking construction. Fewer sponsors on the jersey made for cleaner design as opposed to today when
    numerous sponsors are needed to get the team off the ground but makes for a more cluttered design.

    "Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Me too! It was the only team jersey I ever bought. My first one was part of some deal for joining
    > a "Greg Lemond team". All I remember is that membership included a "La Vie Clair" jersey, "same as
    > the team wore".
    Well,
    > it took an very long time to come and, when it did, it was a crappy copy
    of
    > the team jersey. A couple of years later I bought one of the good ones at some closeout and still
    > have it. One of the few team jerseys I like. I think defunct team jerseys are the only cool ones
    > anyway, unless you are a pro and paid to wear one. Check out this site for images of just about
    > every team uniform you can imagine.
    >
    > http://www.professionnalpeloton.com/jerseys.htm
    >
    > Tim McTeague
    >
    > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Steven Bornfeld wrote:
    > >
    > > > I always liked the old Mondrien /La Vie Clair jersey myself.
    > > >

    > > That was my first ever jersey. And the only pro team jersey I ever wore.
    > > can't even remember what became of it.

  10. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Tim McTeague wrote:
    > Me too! It was the only team jersey I ever bought. My first one was part of some deal for joining
    > a "Greg Lemond team". All I remember is that membership included a "La Vie Clair" jersey, "same
    > as the team wore". Well, it took an very long time to come and, when it did, it was a crappy copy
    > of the team jersey. A couple of years later I bought one of the good ones at some closeout and
    > still have
    > it. One of the few team jerseys I like. I think defunct team jerseys are the only cool ones
    > anyway, unless you are a pro and paid to wear one.

    Anyone know where I can get a chicky world jersey?

  11. I always liked the Splendor jerseys.

    Under the odd/amusing category, there was Michael Huebner's Checker Pig jersey.

  12. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I tried several years ago when the team was active. Never had any luck. If you find a source let me
    know. I'm a big fan of Torsten Schmidt.

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tim McTeague wrote:
    > > Me too! It was the only team jersey I ever bought. My first one was part of some deal for
    > > joining a "Greg Lemond team". All I remember is that membership included a "La Vie Clair"
    > > jersey, "same as the team wore". Well, it took an very long time to come and, when it did, it
    > > was a crappy copy of the team jersey. A couple of years later I bought one of the good ones at
    > > some closeout and still have
    > > it. One of the few team jerseys I like. I think defunct team jerseys are the only cool ones
    > > anyway, unless you are a pro and paid to wear one.
    > >
    > Anyone know where I can get a chicky world jersey?

  13. Tim McTeague

    Tim McTeague Guest

    Cool in style only. How can anyone wear a black jersey? Forget about the fact that you are less
    visible, black jerseys act like heat sinks. I guess black shorts are not as bad as your upper body
    shades the lower to a great extent. Those Cinzano jerseys were wicked cool looking though!

    Tim McTeague

    > marstev-<< Have to agree. What was wrong with basic black? I always liked the old Mondrien /La Vie
    > Clair jersey myself. >><BR><BR>
    >

    > Cinzano, from the moovie....

  14. Replicas available from http://www.vintagevelos.com/

    in article [email protected], Qui si parla Campagnolo at
    [email protected] wrote on 06/21/2003 07:06:

    > marstev-<< Have to agree. What was wrong with basic black? I always liked the old Mondrien /La Vie
    > Clair jersey myself. >><BR><BR>
    >

    > Cinzano, from the moovie....

  15. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Castelli has a black logo jersey on the market this year. Cool weather garment for sure.

  16. "Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Cool in style only. How can anyone wear a black jersey? Forget about the fact that you are less
    > visible, black jerseys act like heat sinks.

    About 10 years ago, I raced the Olympic Sports Festival. The teams were divided as North, East,
    West, and South. For some reason the designated team color for the South team was black. So we raced
    in black jerseys. In San Antonio, Texas. In July.

    I guess they thought all the crystallized salt patterns on the jerseys were pretty.

  17. Tc Rider

    Tc Rider Guest

  18. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>

    > About 10 years ago, I raced the Olympic Sports Festival. The teams were divided as North, East,
    > West, and South. For some reason the designated team color for the South team was black. So we
    > raced in black jerseys. In San Antonio, Texas. In July.
    >
    > I guess they thought all the crystallized salt patterns on the jerseys were pretty.

    I guess they forgot to clue the organizers of the TDS on to this fact as well:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jun03/suisse/?id=stage4/19

    Is the KOM jersey in this race a reward or a punishment?

    - Boyd S.

  19. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    > "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > That would be the jersey of the legendary Mapei-GB team: the colourfull cubes and the red
    > > GB-ball. --> http://www.geocities.com/gelei2000/rvv95.jpg
    >
    > Nahhh, the most beautiful jersey in my opinion was the Areostea red/yellow one from arouund '94?

    Yay also my favourite. I liked the way the jersey relfected the sponsors business. in this
    case roofing tiles. Mind you I also liked the Castorama jersy that looked like a shirt worn
    under overalls.

    Stan Cox

  20. In article <BB1A1089.2629%[email protected]>, "Steven L. Sheffield"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Replicas available from http://www.vintagevelos.com/
    >

    > in article [email protected], Qui si parla Campagnolo at
    > [email protected] wrote on 06/21/2003 07:06:
    >
    > > marstev-<< Have to agree. What was wrong with basic black? I always liked the old Mondrien /La
    > > Vie Clair jersey myself. >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > Cinzano, from the moovie....
    > >
    > > Peter Chisholm

    Speaking of nice jerseys, I'm thrilled to see that Ullrich is competing in a righteously old-school
    Bianchi jersey:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jun03/suisse/?id=stage4/dsc_0003

    Simple, bold, and classy.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/jun03/suisse/?id=stage4/dsc_0001

    Shame about the "Style Master" eurotrash sunglasses, though. And if I had another wish, it would be
    that they would use the old all-upper-case BIANCHI logotype. Looks more vintage.