most bicycle taillights are unusable junk

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:30:24 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>On Dec 31, 1:01 pm, "[email protected]"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Dec 31, 10:51 am, Bob Cooper <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > In his book, Effective Cycling, John Forester argues that a three-inch
>> > SAE amber reflector in back and a three-watt, generator-driven
>> > tungsten lamp in front is all that are needed.

>> The law requires a powered light, not just a reflector. So no matter
>> how eloquently Mr. Forester argues, its still illegal to have just an
>> amber reflector.

>Actually, the law varies state by state. Most states do not require a
>powered taillight, last I checked. Mine does, but it's in the small
>minority.
>
>Nonetheless, I greatly prefer riding with a rear taillight.
>
>> The 3 watt generator light in front is quite
>> adequate and works very well. Provided you are using a quality 3 watt
>> light such as the Schmidt E6.

>Even less expensive ones can work very well. I've never had a
>Schmidt. I mostly use ancient Soubitez bottom bracket generators, of
>which I have several. But I've also done fine with Union generators
>and others. IME, the lamp optics are more expensive than the
>generator manufacturer.
>
>> But if you stop, then the
>> vast majority of generator lights go dark. So you need a battery
>> powered light that stays on when you stop.

>I never found that to be a problem. The only places I imagined it
>would be a concern were these:
>
>1) If I were the first vehicle stopped at a traffic light or stop
>sign, and a car coming from my right were to turn left, cutting the
>corner and hitting me. This is actually a good application for a side-
>facing reflector on a front wheel.
>
>2) If I were in the center, dedicated turn lane on a multi-lane road,
>waiting to turn left, and an oncoming car also merged into the same
>lane, also wanting to turn left. This is a good application for a
>front facing reflector.
>
>Still, I dealt with those lane situations frequently for years, with
>no problems. I now have a white LED blinky on the front, which was
>given to me as a gift. I think it's fine. In addition, my headlights
>have reflector rings surrounding the lamp's lens. There's also a
>collection of various reflective bits on the bike.
>
>I've been a regular night rider and commuter since 1977. No problems
>yet.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

I ride at night a LOT. I have flashing lights front and rear. As
stated by a Lincoln city ordinance. Bicycles must be equipped with a
light front and rear that MUST be visible from 500 feet.

UNFORTUNATELY there are a number of folks out there that don't heed
this. Far too many of them ride with no lights or reflectors. Man,
sure hope they like those chuckholes!!!!!

And the police here don't seem to enforce it like it should be.
Perhaps if they took it upon themselves to write a ticket every ONCE
in a while maybe more folks would pay attention to the fact that you
CAN'T SEE AS WELL AT NIGHT.......DUH............

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Bob Cooper wrote:
>>> On the one hand, if you've got it, use it.
>>>
>>> http://peterwhitecycles.com/bigbang.asp

>> Big Bang: $975,- It's expensive, but hé it is a nice lamp.
>> Adapter: $3,- ??? Didn't it fit in the lamp box?

> I found that very amusing as well. I guess when you're the sole
> distributor you don't have to do any sales and marketing.

I would have the adapter (if I was in the business) as "no additional
charge" if purchased at the same time as the light.

POST FREE OR DIE!

Tom Sherman wrote:
> I would have the adapter (if I was in the business) as "no additional
> charge" if purchased at the same time as the light.

An even $980 with FREE adapter, right? All the discount vendors at a
mere $974.88 would eat your lunch!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:47:52 -0800 (PST), Bob Cooper
<[email protected]> wrote:
>The big problem I see with most LED taillights is that they are made
>to mount on a seatpost.
>
>With my Carradice bag or seat pack hiding a rear view of the seatpost,
>I need to kludge the taillight onto my frames elsewhere.
>
>Such a simple thing would increase sales of any given light, but the
>designers do not seem interested in the problem.

The latest (well, as of last year) Planet Bike will mount to a
chainstay. While I don't use a Carradice, one will fit beneath my
seat pack and above the brake bridge (I have cantis), and is visible
above my rack.

Check out the reviews at http://www.rei.com/product/756360

Disclaimer: I wrote one of them.

Pat

Email address works as is.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

> Ironically, some of the best, and most inexpensive bicycle lights
> currently available are the Cree LED flashlights, attached to the
> handlebars with a dual clamp.
>
> See "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html".

Cree 3W head strap lights $10, straight from Hong Kong.

This group has posted some good ideas and links regarding front and
rear lights.

When riding at night, I go far beyond Forester's recommendations,
which I know are not legal in most states, primarily because of his
views about the SAE reflector.

When venturing out at night, which, I'll admit, I don't do very often,
I pretend that I'm up for inspection by

1--my state police,

2--Forester, and

3--RUSA/ACP. Article 10: http://www.rusa.org/brvreg.html

Then multiply by three. (Only kidding a little.)

I like three independent front systems and three independent rear
systems, plus lots of reflective stuff including a Sam Browne belt,
tape on inside of rims, ankle bands and on and on.

My first night ride -- since my youth, when I used the one-front-one-
rear method -- the bulb died in my dynamo-driven front lamp and my
battery died in my battery-driven front lamp, so three is now my magic
number.

But, I still feel that somewhere around 99 percent of the cyclists in
my neighborhood have only pedal reflectors and nothing else. It's very
rare to see a cyclist with a white front light, and if I do see
someone with a white front light, it's probably someone I know.

The norm: Black pants, black socks, black sweatshirt, no helmet and on
and on. And he's probably on the wrong side of the street.

I've never seen a police traffic stop involving a cyclist for any
reason.

So, that's why I said that some sort of minimum standard, which was
actually enforced, would be a step forward. It would also be great if
it were a national standard, but you know where that leads. To
Congress! As in, "It will take an act of Congress."

All the best,

Bob Cooper