Most Bike Friendly City in the world? Armsterdam

Red Cloud

Guest
In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.

> In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
> 38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
> 23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
> 30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.
>

> In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
> Chicaco, any big city in US.
> 0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
> 90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
> 2% uses bus as everday transporation.

Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes so
many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

someone writes:

> In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
> 38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
> 23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
> 30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

> In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
> Chicaco, any big city in US.
> 0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
> 90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
> 2% uses bus as everday transporation.

The most bicycle friendly community I have experienced is the Stanford
University campus. LSJU has a free bus system (full sized transit
buses) with counter rotating regular service that loops around the
campus from the local bus/train station. Little auto parking is
offered for general use with most faculty and student parking by
permit in outlying areas. Auto accessible inner campus areas offer
only short term parking.

Therefore, the campus has little car traffic and many stop signs, none
of which are required stops for bicyclists except in the event of
contention with other bicycles (and motorized traffic including the
bus). Inner areas around the academic buildings are
pedestrian/bicycle malls only. In this mode, high speed bicycling is
out of place as is keeping to the right. It's a smoothly working
scramble amble with bicycles and pedestrians.

Depending on the density of foot and bicycle traffic, maximum bicycle
speed is about 15mph. The system has been working well for years now
and from what I see, I'm sure other schools with as much space as
Stanford has, probably have similar systems. This is the truly
bicycle friendly community as I see it.

Lastly, I don't think the statistics cited above are related to
whether a community is bicycle friendly or not.

Jobst Brandt

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes
> because so many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for
> bikes that causes so many to ride?

You just blew Cosmo Kramer's mind.

>> In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
>> 38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
>> 23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
>> 30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.
>>

>> In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
>> Chicaco, any big city in US.
>> 0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
>> 90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
>> 2% uses bus as everday transporation.

> Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
> many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes
> so many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.
>
> --Mike--
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com

No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only needs
anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....

Pat in TX

Pat ? wrote:
>>> In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
>>> 38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
>>> 23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
>>> 30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.
>>>

>>> In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
>>> Chicaco, any big city in US.
>>> 0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
>>> 90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
>>> 2% uses bus as everday transporation.

>> Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
>> many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes
>> so many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

> No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only needs
> anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
> Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....

Where is "Chicaco" located?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

> In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
> Chicaco, any big city in US.
> [Made-up statistics.]

=v= Your U.S. numbers are just made up.
<_Jym_>

On Jan 7, 5:52 pm, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
> >> 38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
> >> 23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
> >> 30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

> >> In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
> >> Chicaco, any big city in US.
> >> 0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
> >> 90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
> >> 2% uses bus as everday transporation.

> > Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
> > many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes
> > so many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

> > --Mike--
> > Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >www.ChainReaction.com

> No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only needs
> anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
> Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....
>
> Pat in TX

Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?

>> > Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because
>> > so
>> > many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that
>> > causes
>> > so many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

>> > --Mike--
>> > Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> >www.ChainReaction.com

>> No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only needs
>> anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
>> Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....
>>
>> Pat in TX

> Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?

Dutch was a character in the sitcom SOAP. Get a clue.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> "Red Cloud" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?

> Dutch was a character in the sitcom SOAP. Get a clue.

I thought their young males sell paint.

> You will never be fit in Armsterdam. Just remain in fast SUV NASCAR
> lifestly is your psyche or it's just your blaming outsider of the
> world when your American lifesyle does not bring happiness. I think
> it's latter. It's really of your ego mentality that believing that
> America is #1 in the world. Everything must be perfect for you.
> I can't argue with that. There is no argument for egomania American.
> Armsterdam bike riders looks so depressing for you??? I enjoy
> and happy more travelling 5 miles/hr than 75 miles/hr.

Amsterdam has better weed. It's no wonder you're happier.
Cool.

Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes
>>> because so many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for
>>> bikes that causes so many to ride? There's a very significant
>>> difference between the two.

>> No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only
>> needs anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
>> Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....

> Where is "Chicaco" located?

It's so different from Armsterdam that it must be near the legs.

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

Red Cloud wrote:

> Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?

Right here:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=dutch&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.544155,59.765625&ie=UTF8&ll=36.357301,-83.556519&spn=0.121103,0.233459&z=12&om=1>.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:22:46 -0800 (PST), Red Cloud
> <[email protected]> pasted:
> \ whack]
>
> Where's the cat?

A Red Cloud thread is no fun unless Little Meow participates.

Red Cloud wrote:
> Armsterdam bike riders looks so depressing for you???...

Where is "Armsterdam"?

Red Cloud wrote:
> ...What is NASCAR about?...

NA$CAR is about making money.

>> > What do you think other than Whitepenis power?

>> I do not believe in the Power of the mythical Greate White Penis.
>>
>> > What is NASCAR about?

>> It's a National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.
>>
>> > I don't know. Give your opinion.

>> I think I'd like to see an extended conversation between you
>> and ilaboo.

> Does he need a "rice" car?

I don't know. Are you a supplier of such wares?

On Jan 8, 12:25 am, Red Cloud <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?

I wonder how many professional cartographers from any nation could
locate the country of "Dutch" on a map.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob Hunt wrote:
> On Jan 8, 12:25 am, Red Cloud <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?

> I wonder how many professional cartographers from any nation could
> locate the country of "Dutch" on a map.

butbutbut, Google can find "Dutch":
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=dutch&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.544155,59.765625&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=36.357301,-83.556519&spn=0.121103,0.233459&z=12&iwloc=addr>.