Most bizarre cycling disrepair sight?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rich, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Well, not so much bizarre as incomprehensible - a woman cycling on a bike with no tyres on the rims,
    clattering bone-jarringly along in Islington. It's not as if you wouldn't notice! I suppose it's one
    way of dealing with punctures - or preventing them ;-).

    How badly maintained does a bike have to be before it becomes unridable? I guess it depends on who's
    defining 'unridable'!

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Well, not so much bizarre as incomprehensible - a woman cycling on a bike with no tyres on the
    > rims, clattering bone-jarringly along in Islington. It's not as if you wouldn't notice! I suppose
    > it's one way of dealing with punctures - or preventing them ;-).

    Blimey, that's funny for BOTH wheels not to have tyres! Slippy slippy!!

    I've done it with one (in a previous life) after puncturing when the tyre wouldn't stay on the rim.

    > How badly maintained does a bike have to be before it becomes unridable? I guess it depends on
    > who's defining 'unridable'!

    I dunno. It is amazing what you can ride when you want to.

    ~PB

  3. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Rich <[email protected]> said:
    > Well, not so much bizarre as incomprehensible - a woman cycling on a bike with no tyres on the
    > rims, clattering bone-jarringly along in Islington. It's not as if you wouldn't notice! I suppose
    > it's one way of dealing with punctures - or preventing them ;-).

    I saw (and laughed at) some kid riding a BMX with no rear tyre up my road. 'Twas very noisy...

    > How badly maintained does a bike have to be before it becomes unridable? I guess it depends on
    > who's defining 'unridable'!

    In WWII, the Japanese surprised the British forces in Malaya by bicycling up the roads at
    speed. Unfortunately the heat caused the tyres to burst so they rode on the rims instead and
    made a lot of noise.

    They were very surprised to find virtually no enemy forces; just lots of abandoned equipment. Only
    afterwards did they discover that the British thought tanks were clattering up the road and since
    they had no anti-tank weapons didn't stick around to face the "armoured columns".

    Regards,

    -david

  4. In news:[email protected], Rich <[email protected]> typed:
    > Well, not so much bizarre as incomprehensible - a woman cycling on a bike with no tyres on the
    > rims, clattering bone-jarringly along in Islington.

    Crack / heroin addict, desperate for a fix? Would have thought most other Islington residents would
    have more pride than to ride such a machine...

    Alex

  5. Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > How badly maintained does a bike have to be before it becomes unridable?
    > guess it depends on who's defining 'unridable'!

    Pop across to the Netherlands - some of the machines over there have to be seen to be believed

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:S6z%[email protected]...

    > Pop across to the Netherlands - some of the machines over there have to be seen to be believed

    Try India !! The Dutch are just armatures in comparison.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:21:28 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]com> wrote:

    >The Dutch are just armatures in comparison.

    Handy if your dynamo packs up, then :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. W K

    W K Guest

  9. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:21:28 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The Dutch are just armatures in comparison.
    >
    > Handy if your dynamo packs up, then :)

    You owe me a keyboard......

    (whooshsplurgsplugsplatterplatter)

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:21:28 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The Dutch are just armatures in comparison.
    >
    > Handy if your dynamo packs up, then :)

    Dyslexia + spell checker can have some strange results!!

  11. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:45:52 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dyslexia + spell checker can have some strange results!!

    Dyslexia lures KO. I have problems tryping because of burn scars on my left hand.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Dyslexia lures KO. I have problems tryping because of burn scars on my left hand.

    What has the left hand got to do with typing?

    :)

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dyslexia lures KO.

    Why do they use such a difficult to spell word for dyslexia?

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  15. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b1p3s8
    > > Dyslexia lures KO.
    > >

    > Why do they use such a difficult to spell word for dyslexia?

    Which b*st*rd spelled lisp with an s?

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Why do they use such a difficult to spell word for dyslexia?

    As a card carrying dyslexic I can honestly say its one of the few words in the English language that
    looks as if its spelt right. Obviously it was designed by a fellow dyslexic :)

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:20:37 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why do they use such a difficult to spell word for dyslexia?

    Probably for the same reason that the facial paralysis which makes it almost impossible to say B, P
    or L is called Bell's Palsy.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Probably for the same reason that the facial paralysis which makes it almost impossible to say B,
    > P or L is called Bell's Palsy.

    You've been listening to ISIHAC ... or was it the News Quiz? One of those Radio 4 18:30
    programmes anyway

    Tony

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    >> Probably for the same reason that the facial paralysis which makes it almost impossible to say B,
    >> P or L is called Bell's Palsy.

    > You've been listening to ISIHAC ... or was it the News Quiz? One of those Radio 4 18:30
    > programmes anyway

    Guilty as charged. It was the good Dr Garden on ISIHAC.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  20. "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, not so much bizarre as incomprehensible - a woman cycling on a bike with no tyres on the
    > rims, clattering bone-jarringly along in Islington. It's not as if you wouldn't notice! I suppose
    > it's one way of dealing with punctures - or preventing them ;-).

    Had to ride the last half-mile or so home from work late at night once with both tyres flat (but
    still on the rims)! Goodness knows what I must've ridden over to do that kind of damage....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York