Most boring TdS ever.

Eldrack

Jan 10, 2005
Seriously, worst course ever. But still, even with the easy uphill finishes and lack of climbing meters compared to normal how the hell did a big fat time triallist with no ability to climb win? If anything Crans Montana should have sent Canc out the back like a rocket. Blood passport is going to pick up something pretty fishy I think.

Eldrack said:
Seriously, worst course ever. But still, even with the easy uphill finishes and lack of climbing meters compared to normal how the hell did a big fat time triallist with no ability to climb win? If anything Crans Montana should have sent Canc out the back like a rocket. Blood passport is going to pick up something pretty fishy I think.
He didn't look all too fat to me.

Agreed.
TdS this year, apart from Cav., lacked a lot of spark I think.
It's normally a race that i follow closely but this year it left me cold.

Eldrack said:
I do recall that 11 months ago in the Tour, Cancellara was dragging most of CSC over the big mountains and forcing the pace quite well. It aint like he's a fat slob who can wind it upto 34mph on the flat and then falls on his face when the road goes upwards. He only weighs 5lb more than Indurain at his peak.

swampy1970 said:
I do recall that 11 months ago in the Tour, Cancellara was dragging most of CSC over the big mountains and forcing the pace quite well. It aint like he's a fat slob who can wind it upto 34mph on the flat and then falls on his face when the road goes upwards. He only weighs 5lb more than Indurain at his peak.
I agree, it isn't all that suprising really that he could compete for GC in that race, especially with the weak hills and the two time trials

As i remember Cancellara forced the pace going down the valley between the Tourmalet and Hautacam last year and then was on the front on the less steep bits of the Croix de Fer? (did manage to get back on the descent though so maybe he wasnt going that much slower on the steeper bits).

The way i see it Cancellara is a very fast TTer (see his prologue times). So on shorter, sharper climbs he can go at prologue pace and use this to counteract his weight. On the longer, less steep climbs his weight wont be too much of a hindrance so he can still stay with the main group. I havent had a look at the climbs in detail but it seems as though the climbs in this year's TdS were of one of the two types. Besides, Martin and Larsson were also able to stay with the main group - they werent the sort of Alpine finishes where they finish in ones and twos.

I think that CSC will have chosen Cancellara to go for the GC in the TdS in return for his support for the Schlecks in this year's tour (after the prologue;) )

We said last year during the tour that Cancellara's performance in the mountains was suspicious. The comparison to Indurain is good, both big time triallists who can go up mountains fast because they're pumped full of gear.

So yeah, with the easier course and all that dope keeping his power output up it's no surprise he won........ just really boring.

swampy1970 said:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww